Black People : THANK YOU JACKIE ROBINSON???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by EL PAPI LEANDO, Apr 15, 2007.

1. EL PAPI LEANDO

EL PAPI LEANDO Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    My brother says we shouldn't be thanking Jackie, because he practically destroyed the Negro Leagues. What do you guys believe?

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    I disagree.

The reason I disagree is because my grandfather Artis Demery was one of those early Negro League ballplayers who signed with the Dodgers organization AFTER J.R. and my grandfather was in his 40s when finally given a chance to play with the "Big team" but at the end of his career. The negro league was already in decline and a lot of Black baseball fans were supporting baseball but folks like my grandpa were forced to play with minor league teams or in semi-pro leagues which were not paying much in those days. Black baseball players such as J.R., who was a college multi-athlete standout at UCLA, were being heavily recruited to major college programs but going into other sports such as football (see Woody Strode, Kenny Washington) and it as J.R. and others such as Larry Doby and Dan Bankhead who paved the way for others such as Satchel Paige, who like my grandpa, was well past his prime when finally signed to the Cleveland Indians.

If it were not for Jackie Robinson, the next generation of Black baseball players, such as my uncle Larry Demery, may have never gotten the opportunity to play on a major league championship team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/demerla01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=demerla01

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i think you're

really stretching it here

come now

i don't know what's funnier this or Noah's Ark

4. EL PAPI LEANDO

EL PAPI LEANDO Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Respect both your honest opinions and positions, as well as my brother's, though I don't necessarily agree with him totally. My brother's opinion is clearly a separatist/nationalist position which says that Jackie Robinson helped destroy Black businesses, which is what Negro League teams were.

Yes, they were struggling businesses, but struggling not because of any lack of support from African American fans, but more from the players who aspired to more prestige in White man's Major Leagues. I mean, let's face it guys, how much money did these brothers actually get in the late 1940's into the early-1960's? Was it really about the money back then?

5. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    good question

???

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Jackie Roberson broke the color barriers to Major league baseball
    I disagree

7. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    By breaking the color barrier you mean gaining a seat at the white man's table, right? What is so great about that?

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Wow.

So is that all which was accomplished by the numbers of JR's teammates and those who followed such as Roy Campanella, Don Newcombe, Junior Gilliam, Maury Wills, just "gaining a seat at the white man's table"?

Is that all you see?

Jackie Robinson did not simply "gain a seat at the white man's table".

He OPENED THE DOOR of Opportunity for a multitude of Black athletes in every major sport in America and helped to break down the walls of Jim Crow segregation. And this helped to pave the way for Social and Economic ADVANCEMENT for Black people in every segment of like in Amerikkka.

Personally, I am grateful for Jackie Robinson, as my grandpa Art Demery also was finally given a change to earn a decent living in the Dodgers organization which made it easier for him to feed my Dad and his 12 sisters and brothers who grew up picking cotton, potatoes and whatever else they had to working from sunup to sundown in the fields of Bakersfield and Wasco, California.

9. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Place yourself in Pasadena, California circa 1947 and tell me what Jim crow segregation was like at the end of WW2 and then let me know if you believe that Black folks would have been better off without JR BREAKING "the Color Barrier".

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    not gaining a seat but paving way for other great back players like of
    Bonds who will become the Homerun KING and many great players before him Robinson really open doors in major sports.

The Man should be honored and loved in everyway you see fit and thank u your point
    is well made brother OmowaleX