Black People : Texas Schools forcing Students To Wear Tracking Devices

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kamau47, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
  2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

What's wrong with tracking the students they are responsible for?
    It sounds like a good idea to me.. especially when you think of
    all the other applications that can be built on top of that kind of
    technology. Roll Call for example could be a thing of the past.
    it may not seem like a big deal but school funding is attached to
    attendance.. and the whole operation of collecting the numbers from
    each class is a hassle especially in a large school. But being able to
    do it instantly is a great idea.

And their are also other administrative uses for this kind of technology..
    for example.. electronic records, report cards.. and information associated with a student can be located instantly through the use of
    their location card.

Every tech job I have worked required a similar device.. without it we could'nt get in the building.. access the labs.. log-in to the computer system.. etc.

I personally think it's a move in the right direction. And it's a hell of a contract for whatever company talked them into it.. probably somebody on the schoolboard's cousin.. just imagine how many lost badges will need to be replaced every year.. big business.. big contract.. I ain't mad at em though. The only money left out their is public money.. the american economy has halted. You're going to see all kinds of new devices and services in the public sector over the next 10 years.. and It'll be good thing in most public agencies.. except maybe the police department..

3. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    What's wrong is, according to the article, they're tracking the students. Now, if it was just like a security tag at stores where if you cross that boundary, then maybe I'd go for it. But to actually be able to track a students location is not for me.
    As for school funding attached to attendance, here in Michigan, it's only one day that's counted.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

I'm like you now Kamau47, it doesn't surprise me at all. Every since this lady:

[​IMG]

Madalyn Murray O'Hair (April 13, 1919 – September 29, 1995) was an American atheist activist. She was the founder of the organization American Atheistsand served as its president from 1963 to 1986. One of her sons,Jon Garth Murray, was the president of the organization from 1986 to 1995, while she remained de facto president during these nine years. She is best known for the Murray v. Curlett lawsuit, which led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling ending official Bible-reading in American public schools in 1963. This came one year after the Supreme Court prohibited officially sponsored prayer in schools in Engel v. Vitale.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murray_O'Hair

And the decision that removed prayer from schools, the school system has been going down hill.

Peace In,

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    ok.. it's not for you.. but what exactly is wrong with "tracking the students"? Isn't that their responsibility? Haven't schools always tracked students? Isnt that what roll-call is? manual tracking of students? So,
    what's wrong with tracking them with technology?

It's worth noting that this is in Texas not Michigan.. and even if it funding was not attached to Attendance, it is still a solid idea to give the students trackable IDs.. Parents should be comforted that the schools have more visibility into just what happens on the campus. If something is stolen or somebody has a fight, their may be an application to tell the school, just which students where there.. and were involved.. that is a good thing.

Truth is, I can't see any downside to this... unless, their is some health hazzard associated with the device.

6. Kamau47

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Because at every turn, someone wants to track us. They track us on the Internet, they track our purchases at the store, they want our email addresses to buy goods so they can track our buying habits, they track our cars....... Need I go on. Now, they want to know where our children are. And if you think it'll stop there, you are wrong because it should have never started in the first place. Now it'll be in the school, next it'll be the school area, next the city. They'll say they need know where they're going if they miss a day, and from there then the police will want access to the info.
    Do you see where this is heading?

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    This has to be against some federal law. I'm really surprised the ACLU hasnt filed already

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Schools did a pretty good job of protecting and tracking students in the past. Why isnt this considered overkill? Is there something about this particular district that merits this? As a parent, I would be appalled

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    My previous post didn't take for some reason, but I love this for several reasons:
    • Texas is a supposedly right leaning culture that values the privacy of individuals yet this is ghastly invasive. Sure, some people would argue that at certain ages kids shouldn't have privacy, but there's plenty of evidence that suggests invasions of privacy alter behavior and some of this has a negative impact on the development and well-being of people.
    • It's going to be deliciously vulnerable to abuse, especially since the people who are going to be the stakeholders probably don't know much about technology.
    • It's going to be expensive to roll out, maintain, and re-implement if it's done poorly the first time around.
    • Will it be effective on some level? Possibly, but this is about money. There's already a HOST of proven tools and methods to improve school attendance and student performance.
    This is another brilliant idea from the state that brought greatest hits like having a direct path from petty school reprimands to PRISON.

It's got all the age old classic justifications and they've added the "think of the children" sugar on top.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Tracking students has nothing to do with education or acheivement. Furthermore, the 2 ton elephant in the room is what's going on in the home. Parental participation is 75% of the problem. No one has proposed penalizing those that spawned them and dont wanna do their job