Law Forum : Texas man wrongly put away for 18 years denied compensation after legal glitch

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    The money is trying to get to us Family...Wealth Consciousness is the final frontier...Peace In,

A courtroom technicality has cost a wrongly convicted Texas man the compensation that would otherwise be due him for the 18 years he'd served in Texas prison--14 of which he spent on Death Row.

Anthony Graves would have received $1.4 million in compensation if only the words "actual innocence" had been included in the judge's order that secured Graves's release from prison. The Comptroller's office decided the omission means Graves gets zero dollars, writes Harvey Rice at the Houston Chronicle, even though the prosecutor, judge, and defense all agreed at trial he is innocent.

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...ecades-denied-compensation-after-legal-glitch

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Perry pledges to help Graves

From Staff and Wire Reports
    Published:
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:53 PM CST

An effort by Anthony Graves to be compensated for more than 18 years he spent in prison has received a boost from Gov. Rick Perry.

Perry said he would help Graves either through legislative action or “directly with the comptroller’s office,” calling Graves’ capital murder conviction a “great miscarriage of justice.”

In a Houston appearance to discuss the importance of small business to the economy, Perry told media representatives that he would support efforts to “get this individual the appropriate reimbursement for years that he has spent incarcerated for something that he did not do.”

....>>>>>>http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2011/02/17/news/news01.txt

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Update!

.......Thanks sister cherryblossom for the additional report. It appears that Gov. Perry is gearing up perhaps for another gubernatorial run for office, lol. Certainly hope Graves gets his money though.

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,731
    Now this is both very sad and ridiculous.

They need to give this man his money.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......For real straight-talk Chevron:)...And they need to pay us Reparations too my sister friend.

6. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    That is exactly what it is. I can't stand our Governor but white folks keep voting him back in office. Perry was Lt Governor under George Bush and I knew that once Bush became President Rick Perry would be our Governor for years to come. I'm sure he is using this for political gain. It all goes back to what Kanye West said about former President George W. Bush--Perry don't care about black people either. However no matter what the reason Perry has decided to step in, I hope Graves gets his money.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Update!

.......Yes mam, I hear you loud and clear, LadyLC:)...It was the same with Lt. Gov. Bill Hobby:). Ain't nothing changed.

8. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Ah I remember Bill Hobby. A little before my time but I remember the name.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

.......For sure LadyLC, same game only the names change, lol, believe that:). A politician is a politician, their gift from God, at least it was found, many don't pursuit nor find their gifts, you know....Peace In,

10. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,731

You know, there has to be something more to this for them to do this to this man. I mean, I believe the gut core of it is racism to the umpteenth degree, but from where this racism is coming from seems like it's layered. In other words, there are so many other people that are acting against this man for their own specific reasons.

I read further from the link you left and this story is just amazing.

This man, Anthony Graves, was raised by a single mother, and this right here just makes me mad that the system preyed upon him for this reason alone. But then it gets worse.

When he was a young fellow in high school, he was a positive person, a go getter. He was active in a number of sports but loved playing baseball more so. He was cut from the team though, in order to make room for others, and even though he was hurt, he didn't stop. He went to live with his father and this I think became part of his later disappointments in life. Not only did his father let him down, but he had to accept that his father let him down along time ago when he left his mother to fend for him and try to raise him as a single parent. First, he just lived with his father's father, his grandfather, but the grandfather sent for the father. Graves went to another high school in hopes that he could play and be recognized for his talents as a baseball player, but the transfer caused him to not be marketable to get a scholarship and etc. Eventually, his father died [i think] and his grandfather did not want to deal with his own grandson. So here comes Mom. His mother came back and got her son. then he went back into the same high school that he tried to leave and make something better of himself. Depression set in [in my opinion]. He ended up leaving, dropping out. Sad. The plight of a Black man in this generation.

After Graves dropped out of high school, he went down hill from there...a young man with alot of energy and no direction, no one to help Mom get her son going...He ended up becoming a father...getting jobs to try to support his life and his child...see how the story goes...and one day, some white man who wanted an alibi throws up his name...

this white man met Graves on a job. period. He never even knew this Black man outside of that. no connection other than that from what I've read. This white man eventually admitted to being at the crime scene...LISTEN!!!--JUST FOUR DAYS PREVIOUSLY, HE WAS GIVEN AN ORDER TO COME TO COURT ABOUT PAYING CHILD SUPPORT FOR HIS CHILD!!!

this white man, then goes to the house of his son's grandmother and somehow, these white officials wanted to believe that this white man had an accomplice to a heinous murder crime of which was Graves! The grandmother was murdered, the young mother of the son was murdered, all of the other children there was murdered, and the son of this man was also murdered, and altogether there was 66 stab wounds. Gasoline was poured on the little son and others and the house was set ablaze...Now LISTEN TO THIS!!! THE WHITE MAN SHOWS UP AT THE FUNERAL WITH BANDAGES ON HIS FACE AND LEFT ARM AND HAD VISIBLE BURN MARKS!!! He even tried to hug a relative! He claimed that he had been burned due to pouring gasoline in his lawn mower, and the officials did not even arrest him! They called him in later that night, and he eventually admitted to being at the crime scene and doing the murders! He later admitted that Graves was not there and had nothing to do with this evil murder acts.

Why then, would these officials hold that Black man in prison for a life sentence when they know he was innocent long before the DNA proved so? I have so many things I want to say, but right now, I'm too mad and need to calm down...

Okay, I say alittle bit. This system provides evil White racist to take advantage of --THE SYSTEM--to do evil things to Black people...they take liberties that this system provides even if the accused is accused of something unrelated...they do favors for each other at inopportune times and many Black people don't believe that White people, and also others, can be that evil and premeditation...It's an insanity that at first, stems from a normal person but who due to harboring evil hated and envy against someone, they become insane and operate out of this mode of justification...Okay, now I've said alittle but i could go on. But ultimately, I believe that this system must be dealt with in order to root out this kind of evil racism. Black people as a whole should not support a system that provides this kind of nest to hurt our young Black people in this way...

At this point, it's not only about the money they should pay to Graves, but it's about the sick minds that would sit there and protect their buddies and not get those other people in the system that allowed him to be imprisoned so long for a crime they could not even prove he had anything to do with. They need to be brought to justice.