Pan-Africanism : Tensions Increase Between US-Born African Americans and Black Immigrants

I respect your opinion PA; and again, I have no conflict going here. Because you are a panafricanist and I am not; it does not deminish the amount of respect that I have for your views.

Latinos: again, this doesn't bother me. I read the info. a little bit differently... I know that they are taking many of the low-wage jobs that We used to do. I am happy that many of Us are no longer doing such jobs; although nothing is or was wrong when we did; there are always groups that come in and sub for the group that was---just like We, after fighting just one war We continually face; took the place of many white immigrants (who I was very surprised to read an article about detailing that they had difficult times because of their accents/languages???). Maybe they are doing such jobs, but if you go in and see what is and was going on; hey, I don't want my people being mistreated and abused and used...as some of what I have seen with my own two eyes.

PA, I hope that you don't consider leaving. Even if I was a panafricanist, which I am not; I would hesitate before I give up what Our Fore Parent's had to die for Us to have. There is too much blood and too much pain wrapped in Our very being, for me to do so.

There are ways that today We can really circumvent these goings on. Why can't We. Whites are protesting (ok, I am a little dismayed when/if I see Blacks with them doing it because alot of the times these are virulent racists doing these things and I cannot understand an African-American even being in the same sphere with them!), Whites are boycotting (under the radar) places like Tyson chicken; and some have formed community groups whereby they do not and will not let builders come in where the workforce is heavily Hispanic or Illegal; Whites, to their credit, do not patronize the businesses of any minority; especially if they set-up shop in their neighborhoods... they do not fight or shout about it; they just don't and soon the business is gone.
Again, this comes with Us learning to coalition.

I don't really like what Whites are masquerading around as "Black Conservatives" today; they are minstrels and just seeing them pulled around on chains- spewing their racist histrionics... and feminine emotionalism is sickening; but God, I have to give them credit for two things... they will not let you link them with other Blacks and they are very very anti-immigrant period. While, the ones We put in office, and have let run around all impotent and self-serving... are helping them!

PA, if all of those or most of those who sold Us into the heinousness of slavery are all but gone; demolished-then why are You trying to form coalitions with other Africans?

happy69 said:
PA, if all of those or most of those who sold Us into the heinousness of slavery are all but gone; demolished-then why are You trying to form coalitions with other Africans?

In short because I view this as the future Happy69. I for one believe that the social/economic state of black people worldwide will not improve until social/economic/political state of Africa improves. Every people has a native country, and the respect that people get worldwide is tied to the respect/power of the homeland. A British person can travel anywhere in the world, because England has the respect of the world. The same can be said of a Greek, a French person, even a Japanese. However, when you look at Africa and how it is perceived throughout the world, the treatment of black people is obvious.

America is considered to be the land of opportunity, but it is not the only place where opportunities exist. It is certainly not the only place where African Americans can be prosperous. I see little purpose in us continuing to "beg" for scraps at the white man's table. In America blacks depend on white corporations & educational institutional to supply our every need. We needs whites to cloth us, feed us, employ us, build our houses, cars, etc. We are totally dependent on other people, yet we wonder why we're discriminated against. There are calls for us to empower our communities, to become our own employers, to improve our schools. All of which is important to improve our position in the US. I am simply taking this idea to the next level. Not only am I calling for an improvement to our community within the US, I am calling for an improvement to the black community worldwide.

IMHO, many africans, particuliarly here in the states do not view African Americans as truly "African" So until that mindset is eradicated, it will be very difficult for us to bridge the divide.

I tend to agree for the most part with Happy. Blacks in this country have very similar legacies in terms of the trauma inflicted on us from slavery, with Africans in countries like Brazil and Cuba. I think if black americans want to reach out to other blacks to form alliances, the two respective countries would probably pan out to be a productive choice, In light of the fact that we have the same scars to heal.

This is not to say that blacks in the motherland don't suffer from the vestiges of colonialism, but it would probably be easier for us to begin the healing process focusing on the immediate pathology left by Jim Crowisim..

But I could be wrong :hammer:

Sekhemu said:
IMHO, many africans, particuliarly here in the states do not view African Americans as truly "African" So until that mindset is eradicated, it will be very difficult for us to bridge the divide. I tend to agree for the most part with Happy. Blacks in this country have very similar legacies in terms of the trauma inflicted on us from slavery, with Africans in countries like Brazil and Cuba. I think if black americans want to reach out to other blacks to form alliances, the two respective countries would probably pan out to be a productive choice, In light of the fact that we have the same scars to heal. This is not to say that blacks in the motherland don't suffer from the vestiges of colonialism, but it would probably be easier for us to begin the healing process focusing on the immediate pathology left by Jim Crowisim.

My experience has been the opposite, especially when you have knowledge & interest in an African's homeland. The same has been the case with other blacks whom I've encountered from different countries. Sekhemu, your identification with Brazil & Cuba can be extended to include the Caribbean & Latin America (The Americas). All blacks in these countries are the descendants of African slaves. Also I am not suggesting that we come together to "heal", like some big counseling session (not that it couldn't happen). I am looking for social-economic & political alliences with blacks in other countries.

Specifically I am calling for black educators, engineers, architechs, doctors, lawyers, financial experts, construction workers, and other blacks with special skills to stop using their talents to make weathly white corporations wealthier. Africa has no infrastructure, because the European companies that are there (and which were there doing colonization) have no interest in developing it. These companies are solely interesting in Africa's natural resources: Gold, diamonds, copper, oil, gas, etc. As a result, they only build as much infrastructure as neccessary to extract their good. There are places in Africa which have no plumbing, inadequate roads, schools, inadequate power generators, etc. This is a gap that is begging to be filled, and I envision African Americans doing it. I envision skilled African Americans going over to Africa & other countries they are needed, and establishing their own companies. I am not proposing "charity", but pointing out an unprecidented business opportunity.

The simpliest ideas, and most common businesses that exist in America, are not in other countries. My wife is a woman of African heritage, who was born in Spain. In Spain there are no black barbershops. The most common, and one of the oldest black businesses in the US is non-existent there. If a person opened another barbershop anywhere in America, they would face strict competition (with the exception of Utah & Montana). However, if that person opened that same shop in Madrid (Spain), he/she would have a monopoly. They would be rich. This is but one example of many, I encourage us to expand our minds. Again the US is not the only place where opportunity exist.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back