Computers - Software Hardware : Ten Steps You Can Take Right Now Against Internet Surveillance

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gorilla, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    source: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/ten-steps-against-surveillance

2. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    Gorilla, I'm not even remotely the most savvy user/surfer of the internet, or of my iphone. Your entire list looks tempting to me--because of the fact that I'm not savvy in a tekkie sense.

Would I create a mess that I can't detangle if I implemented ALL of the safeguards you've posted? Or, would it be smarter to select only a few of these safeguards, such that when the select few are activated, I wind up with sweeping protection?

Or, for example, does the list have any options that are redundant? That do the same job?

For real. I use Norton that's provided by my i-net company and iphone 4 that's updated thru Apple. I do have a listing of all of my user/password stuff and I save/update my most important files (that I'm aware are important) onto a thumb drive. As for facebook and twitter, I *rarely* use those services even though I have memberships to both. Also, I only download attachments that I've requested from companies I do business with--I touch nothing else that's unsolicited. I'm a google chromer using vista, circa 2007 originally, but presently fully updated.

That's it, though--that's the full summary describing what I work with, and how I use the internet and my phone. Admittedly, I am likely the least sophisticated tech user who comes to this site, so I am seriously asking how would you advise that I should approach protecting what little I do have to protect?

Do I employ all that's suggested in your post? Or just some of it; and if only some, then which ones to broadly protect myself? NOTE: If I've already told too much about my services, then hurry and help a sister out--help me to protect myself from this very post.

One Love, and PEACE

3. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    There are somethings on the list that can cause problems if they're not understood or implemented correctly. Another section of the EFF site provides a decent starting point on learning about what each thing provides: https://ssd.eff.org/ There is also the cryptoparty handbook which is another good introductory resource: https://www.cryptoparty.in/documentation/handbook

Those two resources above should help you get started, but there's no need to rush into anything without first researching and deciding if it's right for you. You could find other ways of learning about this such as lectures or interviews on Youtube or other personal security introductions out there.

It sounds like you're already doing steps 7 and 8 on their list. Maybe you could try doing something like step 4 with a tool like keepassx (https://www.keepassx.org/)? Try putting some of those passwords in a secure tool instead of relying on paper or pencil. Try learning more about what makes a password secure or insecure, and about using pass phrases that are easier to remember while being harder to bruteforce.

Step 6 might be another interesting thing to try. See if you can learn more about two-factor authentication, if you haven't encountered it before and getting something set up for your personal accounts. Gmail is an example of a service that offers this through text messages and syncing up with apps like their authenticator (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1066447?hl=en) or something like Authy (https://www.authy.com/). While you're looking into step 4, you could check if each service you use offers something like this. It's not very common but a few of the popular services out there do.

The two examples I gave you are just some suggestions. It's up to you to decide what's right for your use case or what provides a reasonable amount of protection for a reasonable amount of effort. You don't have to go wholesale on everything they suggest, but the article does serve as a good primer on what kind of tools and steps secure what aspect of one's modern digital life.

4. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204

I know lots less than fieldpea, I guess I should just go to a computer store to get installation on your suggestions huh?
    I appreciate you always giving tips about new software and computers as such. I don't always understand, but I do take the time to read them.

5. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I just try to pass things along on here about technology and science. I get tired of relationship threads lol.

Keepassx is pretty easy to install. If you have doubts about how to do this, having someone who is a bit more familiar with computers there can help you. Authy and Google App authenticator are phone apps and those are pretty easy to get and install (Authy is the one i use and you only need one).

I don't think going to a computer place is necessary.

6. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Thanks!

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    you are probably in no danger......

8. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Hey bro. James, how ya been?

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    :eeek: been chilly (literally and figuratively) in philly......