Black People : Tell your children to "Get rich or die tryin"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    This thread was prompted by a conversation in another thread between Sister Truetothecause and I. I told her that it was realistic that any 15 year old could be out of poverty by age 20 and upper middle class by age 25...legitimately.

The child needs to be motivated (or at least motivatable) and have a good work ethic, otherwise this will not work.

This assumes the child lives at home with his parent(s), guardian, or at least someone who provides for the childs basic life essentials such as a roof over their head and 3 squares.

The child needs to be teachable and willing to commit to some basic, but essential rules.

He must buy NOTHING on credit.
    He must live within the spending budget assigned.
    He must NOT acquire any credit cards.
    He must follow some basic guidelines to make him more employable-(such as dress for success and speak in a respectful manner).

If he cannot get a job because of the economy or something to that effect, he must be willing to get a legitimate hussle, such as cutting grass, washing cars, cleaning houses....etc, etc, etc.) If he is committed, I could show him/her how to earn a lot more than minimum wage while being his own boss in his own mini business.

Most of this from this point is a cut and paste from the original discussion between Sister Truetothecause and myself, so if something seems out of place, that's problably the reason...

Lets start him off during the summer, school is out and he can commit full time to a job. I will come back to how he gets a job shortly, because I don't want to hear that trash about him not being able to get a job.

He is going to get a job making $7 an hour, $280 per week, $1120 per month.

He has a spending budget of $100 per week, and must save $180 per week or $720 per month. A child who lives at home with no bills can easily live off $100 per week. In the three months of summer, he will save $2160. Once school starts, he will cut back to 20 hours per week and earn $140 leaving him with only $40 per week or $160 per month to save. (That is more than most irresponsible adults)

As the summer draws to an end, he would start looking for ways to keep his income up while in school and being unable to work full time. There are many ways to do this, but for the purpose of this example I will go with what I KNOW about first hand. Lets say, he start looking on Craigslist for cars selling in the $3000 - $3500 range. He would call them up and fish for the one who is willing to take $2000 or less, that you KNOW will sell for AT LEAST $2500. If he does this twice per month, he makes an extra $1000 in addition to his $560 in $7 hour wages. So, he is now making $1560 per month and saving $1160.

He is now saving $13,920 per year. Between the ages of 15 and 20 he would save approximately $69,600. Between the ages of 18 to 20, He will increase his spending from $400 per month to $1000 per month. He will also increase his flipping from two cars per month to three cars per month.

(I know two teenagers who does this now and I have a buddy that does it as well, he had flipped 6 cars in a week all on craigslist. In fact, he flipped one car the same day he got it using the exact same picture from the ad he purchased the car from. I have done it a few times myself) (If you are thinking..the kid doesn't have a dealers license....that's an easy one)

Another quick one that I have used a lot is selling stuff that doesn't belong to me. I have seen expensive motor homes with for sale signs on them that has been sitting there for a while. I walked up and told them I would like to sell the motor home for them. They where skeptical at first and indicated that they where not going to pay any upfront fee but would be happy let me sell if for them if it didn't cost them anything or obligate them in any manner. I had a contract drawn up(done on my computer) They pay %5-10% upon the unit selling. (for what ever reason, I usually went with %8) 8% of a 50,000 motor home is $4000. I sold SEVERAL motor homes, boats, SUV's that belong to other people and had been for sale for a while...I did this mostly on Ebay, but a few on craigslist.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Full Speed ... these are great suggestions, and I appreciate you sharing them with us.

Unfortunately though, the title is a bit unsettling, for it suggests that getting rich is worth dying for ... and I don't think it is.

If money is your ultimate life goal, then perhaps dying for it is reasonable, which may be the seed you want to plant in your children.

I'd not tell my children (or anyone's child) to die trying to get money / rich / etc.

Despite the title, and the message it sends, the ideas within are good.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

3. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045

The title is just a take from the "50 Cent" CD. The last word of the first line differentiates this thread title from the CD title. Furthermore, to tell our children to "get rich or die tryin" simply means to tell them they do not have to "settle" for poverty, nor do they have to seek riches through illigetimit means. So, while the thread title might be "catchy", there is nothing at all negative about the message.

The point here is that if children who are born in poverty do not understand these principles, they think they are stuck in poverty. They are not. Regardless of their back ground and their economic situation, if they can stick to some basic principles and guidelines, they do not have to settle for poverty.

So, yes I thought it was a catchy title but under no circumstance am I promoting the idea that money is worth dying for, but that we should LIVE principled lives with consistent efforts and actions that prevent us and our people from a perpetual position on the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Brother Full Speed ... if you are not wanting to promote the idea that money is worth dying for ... then you should not say it (especially to children).

Your message is sound, but you hinder it by adding words that you don't really mean ... trying to act like 50 cent I guess ... i don't know ... but you did say ... get rich or die trying ... no matter how much you now want to act like you didn't really mean that.

A friend told me long ago ... "say what you mean, and mean what you say" ... it's been useful to me (still working on it), and may be to you as well.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Well, I am not that attached to the title. If you find it offensive, change it. As far as I know, I don't have the ability to change it myself.

btw, I'm not trying to act like 50 cent. I overlook threads if the title is boring and the best of causes around here die on the vine within a page or two if there is no controversy involved. A nice positive message here is essential, but without something to catch the attention, I assure you, it will get no attention, will be ignored, and we will go right back to complaining about how the man got us down and that white supremacy forces us to remain at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder as if we are helpless to do anything to change things. So, no, I have no desire what-so-ever to try to act like 50 cent, but I do want promote facts about individual and collective economic stability.

As for saying what I mean and meaning what I say...I do mean exactly what I said, just not in the way you interpeted it. We all make economic decisions and actions everyday of our lives. Those decisions will either be counter productive to building wealth or productive. If one is not already rich or wealthy, they should not drop the pursuit, they should continually try to move from where they are to a better economic position.

It's odd that you have taken this title to mean something bad...everything must be taken in context. If this is 5 word phrase that is accompanied by several paragraphs which clearly explains the context and says NOTHING that would contribute to your interpetation, cannot be taken in its proper context, I know of no other option but to change the title.

I have used the term "or die trying" long before I ever heard of 50 cent. I said I would do "this" or die trying or do "that" or die trying...NEVER did I mean I was willing to die for what ever "this" or "that" happened to be a that particular time, but that I would be successful at what ever "this" or "that" was or I would continue to pursue it until I die..

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Full Speed ... I am not offended. You've not violated a rule, or anything like that. As I said, it's good stuff, with unnecessary hurdles attached ... in my opinion.

I was just offering some constructive criticism (in the most respectful manner i could) ... of course you're welcome to take it or leave it alone.

Thanks again for sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

7. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Well, I am pleased that you are not offended, first 'cause you da boss lady round here...and ain't no winning that deal. But, most importantly because that's not my intention at all. I actually want to be a help to people. I have been involved in the principles of financial freedom for a while and like sharing them. I love showing children the advantages youth offers if they have their head on straight. I love showing them how to use the time that they are still under their parents roof to build their bank accounts for their future. Some embrace it, some resist it.

With my 17 year old, I enforce it. His bank account is attached to mine so if he wants to spend more than his budget he has to ask me and he better have a VERY GOOD reason. He constantly come up with juvenile reasons he NEEDS to get this or that and because he has the money, he shouldn't have to wait...or it's "his business" and he should be able to spend "his money" on what "he wants."

There were times this summer when he was making $600 per week and he acted as though he could not live without that last $100 that I insisted he save. I hear him out, I don't argue with him at all, but after he has made his case I make a judgement that he has come to realize is unchangeable. He has tried the "better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission" method, by just spending the money without asking. I check his bank account on line EVERY DAY. If his account dips, I am on the phone to him. "Son, I see you just spent $X at ___ which took you over your budget. We didn't talk about that, what's going on?" If I don't like the answer, and on the two occassions this happened I didn't, I say "OK son, go home now and give the keys and the cell phone to your mom and hang out till I get off" ( I pay for both in this case)

When I get home I tell him that if he has a problem obeying the rules, I will let him do what he wants with his money and he can pay his own cell phone bill, buy his own car, and pay his on car insurance. If I did not have these things to hold over his head, I would just tell him in a matter of fact manner that this was an non-negotiable requirment.

He is very different from his older brother and sister which embraced these rules without a problem. I used to yell at him about these things but a couple of months ago I told him I would not yell at him again. I told him that my expectations were the same or higher, but that I would just tell him in a matter of fact tone and fully expected him to comply. He actually responds very well to that. After I have heard him out and make my judgement, if he tried to debate it at all, I just tell him, "well, son I've heard what you have to say and I said what I have to say, that's my final word on it." He can be argumentative but fortunately, he's never defiant. I found that just telling him like it is and ending it stops his argumentative nature.

So, I say all of this to say...sometimes telling our children to save can be challenging if they don't just embrace it on their own. But, sometimes, we just have to be the parent.

FINANCIAL FREEDOM is something that just isn't taught in school. It needs to be, but it's not. In our home school, we teach consumer math combined with financial freedom principles. In these materialistic times, debt is an easy trap to fall in...and that is a terrible form of bondage.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Full Speed ... i hate that folk take my opinion in discussions, as management stuff, but i guess the line is thin for it happens often.

Nonetheless, i really was just sharing my opinion, no harm no foul here.

In getting back to that, i can't get with what you're saying, because of the hurdle i mentioned ... i don't know if it hinders anyone else, but i can't get past it.

Telling children to get rich or die trying ... kills any of the good stuff inside for me ... for i'd not tell my or anyone's child that.

It's like taking your time to prepare a hot, nutritous, wholesome, and eye appealing meal for someone you care about, then serving it on a dirty plate.

Dirt all around the edges of the plate, but you want the person to look at the food only, dig in, and ignore the dirt. It's not gonna happen, at least not for me.

We should all consider the presentation of valuable information, packaging it in a palatable manner ... if eating it is what you really want folk to do.

Love You!

Destee

9. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I have always subscribed to the concept of "eat the meat, spit the bones" and "you can't judge a book by its cover"...or a thread by its title :)

But, to each their own. If we were talking about food placed on dirty plates, I would certainly agree with you, but we are talking about the single most important contributing factor of the socio-economic outlook of our people.

Now, we have a dispropotionate number of our people living as if they are STUCK in poverty or as if the only method out of poverty is sports, rap music, or illegal means....but you can't "get with" what I am saying because of the title???? AND, not so much because of the title but because of your misinterpetation of the title??? That's like telling Hariett Tubman that you would have followed her out of slavery but she had a T-shirt on that said "Escape or die trying", and you could not "Get with" her message because of the T-shirt she had on. That's like refusing to live in New Hampshire because their state motto is "Live free or DIE"

If I abandoned this thread and started another by cutting and pasting the body but changing title to a "kinder, gentler" title, would you be able to "get with" it then?

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    did you try or just blowing smoke?

just out of curiosity did you try going back to the first post in this thread, clicking the edit button, editing the first post in this thread and seeing if, per chance, you could edit the title?

i wouldn't be surprised if even a non-premium member could do that. in fact, check this out. [i'll have to remember to edit the change back out in a couple days ...] `course, if there were actually any interest in actually doing so, rather than toss up an "excuse"^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H"reason" for not doing so ...

(pursuit of money ain't worth giving up one's life, regardless of the incorrect idiocies that "society" has programmed into itself. sadly, instilling this silliness into the children of the future only perpetuates this vicious cycle of destruction.

but, then, i live in this fantasy world where human beings use their brains, are enlightened by their personal integrity and understand what honor and dignity actually mean.)