Black Ancestors : Tell It!!! Our Legacy of Worth!

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Gracious, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Gracious

Gracious Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +232
    Beloved,

How many of us journal? As in document the history of our own day to day lives? Believe it or not, our African & African American fore-fathers viewed this (self documentation), as a dowry / as wealth; something to be passed on to our children & worth more than gold, silver or precious stones!

Wells Fargo Banks Inc. has endowed funding to the Kinsey Foundation in order to promote African American family history documentation. Can you believe it!!!

For those desiring to view this trailer, please click on the video below:

Enjoy & be inspired to continue YOUR OWN legacy of worth.

Here's the back story re: the Kinsey's:

With love,

Gracious

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Gracious

thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for sharing this!

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The Kinsey Collection: Shared Treasures of Bernard and Shirley Kinsey – Where Art and History Intersect, now in its 3rd edition is a 198-page must read, that tells the story of the African American experience from 1632-present through original art, artifacts, and historical documents. One of the few published works that includes many overlooked and often untold stories of African American achievement and contribution, The Kinsey Collection makes an excellent teaching tool, gift, or resource for personal discovery and inspiration. The book includes works of art by important African American artists such as Romare Bearden, Elizabeth Catlett, Sam Gilliam, Artis Lane, William H. Johnson and Henry O. Tanner; as well as historical documents from the seventeeth century and artifacts by Frederick Douglass, Phyllis Wheatley, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Alain Locke, Malcolm X and many others.

This incredible book serves as the companion to The Kinsey Collection exhibit. The Kinsey Collection exhibit and book has been adopted by the Florida Department of Education to teach African American history for grades K-12 throughout the state.

Order The Kinsey Collection book online:

http://www.thekinseycollection.com/about-the-kinsey-collection-book/

4. Gracious

Ratings:
    +232

Awesome Cherryblossom, :blowkiss:

And thank you so much for providing the link!

You know, The Kinsey Collection: Shared Treasures of Bernard and Shirley Kinsey – Where Art and History Intersect ... started me thinking ... How many of our invaluable life stories go with us to our graves untold!

Most folks don't even think that the "treasures" of day to day LIFE experiences are note-worthy! Why? Because we are programmed to identify our success/ our importance by the standards of others! The fact that most of "us" come from a home with one or two parents, working HARD to support their family, yet because most of our families weren't raised by millionaires or a major sports figure, an arts icon, an astronaut, a President of the US, etc, we may feel that "our" LIFE stories are of little interest to anyone.

This is soooo not true! And here’s why:

I believe that as an adult, a person is more likely to make positive decisions concerning their life, when their core is stable – when they have a clear understanding of who they are – they’re own personal history!

Yes!!! Most of us know who Malcolm Shabazz (Malcolm X) is, but do we know the names of our great grandfathers, where they lived, how long they lived, whether they married, did they own homes, what their mother’s name were, etc???

All of this info. is invaluable-priceless!!! And we as Peoples in THIS country should understand this better than ANYONE! Especially because of the immediate history erasing of our native languages, customs & cultures once our ancestors were stolen & brought here!

Who we are … means EVERYTHING! And we as a Peoples are much more than our historically famous icons … we ARE the wind beneath the wings of our icons … and our wind … SPEAKS with many names & many RICH experiences! :)

5. Gracious

Ratings:
    +232
    Come on Family!!!:)

Why not start here?

Be transparent for the good!!! Tell it!!! Please ... Tell us some of your story!!!

6. Gracious

Ratings:
    +232
    Mr. Wonderful!!!
    My daddy initially only achieved an eighth grade education. I used the word “Initially”, because he didn't go back to school – to receive his GED and go on to further his education at an Historic Black College until his 1st child (me!) was in the 6th grade. As, he knew the importance of “leading by example”! How could he possibly reinforce the fact that “I” was GOING to go to college, if he had not??? … how was I going to see & walk in his vision for his children – this example … if he did not provide it? These were his thoughts at the time.

So at a later age, daddy went back to school, received his GED, his undergraduate degree & his Masters degree in Education all within 5 (FIVE) years!!! Amazing!!!

How did he do it??? Easy … he’d made the WISE decision many years earlier to fall in love with & marry a woman (mommy) who’d already earned her graduate degree in Vocal Performance! And “she” made the lovingly-WISE decision to do what many do & have done!!! To support her husband - her MAN & her family, by becoming the major bread winner! For SIX LOOOONG years!!! You see, she’d never worked – at least while raising us. Daddy did all that! And as children, we did NOT much appreciate mommy workin’, cause we were used to ALL her attention.

Suffice to say, by the time I was ready to consider secondary educational options, Daddy was ready! Ready to reinforce his story ... to encourage me!

Smooches daddy ... I'll love & honor you always!!! :blowkiss: