Black People Politics : Tell Congress: Provide 50 million Africans with electricity for the first time.

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Tell Congress: Provide 50 million Africans with electricity for the first time.

[​IMG]

Dear Clyde,

Sometimes electricity can mean the difference between life or death.
    I grew up in Lagos, Nigeria, but a lot of my childhood was spent in the family village in Delta State. I never really cared that our house had no power during the day. Nobody's house did. And our back-up generator meant I could still treat myself to tv on special nights.
    No electricity never seemed like a big deal. Until my cousin had a car accident.
    The first hospital we went to had no power. My cousin was bleeding and he needed immediate surgery. But how do you operate in the dark?
    We went from hospital to hospital. Everywhere was pitch black. We finally found a clinic with a functioning generator. But we had to go find diesel fuel to make the generator work.
    This is not the only story I can tell. Just weeks ago, a dear friend lost his wife because she had a c-section in the dark.

It's crazy that this is our life. This new bill could mean the difference between life and death for families in Africa. But only if our representatives know we want them to act.
    Add your name right now - and we'll deliver it in-person to members of Congress over the coming weeks.

Thanks for using your voice.

Edith Jibunoh
    Policy Director, ONE
    [​IMG]

JOIN US. ONE.ORG | PRIVACY | UNSUBSCRIBE

This email was sent by ONE.org to [email protected].
    Add [email protected] to your address book to ensure our emails reach your inbox.

Copyright © 2013 ONE, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
    ONE Campaign
    1400 Eye Street, Suite 600
    Washington, DC

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    A lot of our Drs. (Drs. W/out borders) and other Americans often venture there to help to make life better also. Electricity would be a plus and a big help I'm sure.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Yup!:

South Sudan: 120,000 People Cut Off From Aid

[​IMG]
    South Sudan 2012 © Robin Meldrum/MSF

Villagers displaced by fighting outside Lekwongole in Pibor County.
    JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN, JUNE 13, 2013—An estimated 120,000 people have fled fighting in and around the main towns in Pibor County in South Sudan’s Jonglei state and are now hiding in unsafe and malaria-infested swamps without access to safe drinking water, food, or medical care, the international medical humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said today. The government of South Sudan must allow immediate humanitarian assistance to these areas to prevent the deaths of thousands of internally displaced persons.
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/press/release.cfm?id=6816&cat=press-release

4. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    What did president Obama say about this? What was his statement?

5. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    You tell us.

6. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    From what I have researched, absolutly nothing, but as one of African descent, and with the knowledge of what this nations foreign policies to Africa have been in 400 years, why would Africans want a hand out from the nation that had stolen 1/4 of her children?
    Does this proposal imply that Africa that has the richest resources of the entire world, is unable to take care of herself, and needs a hand out from the White man?
    [​IMG]

7. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Because they can use it to help the progression of their cause. We here (in America)..wouldn't turn down 10 acres and mule, if offered to us. In fact we could take those acres and mules to begin our own market by growing our own food.

8. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    True I understand that but, who ever expects the thief to compensate their victim? Look at the history of US foriegn policy in Africa! They dont give anything without a string attached, and if this wont come or get mention from a Black president how will a White one feel to do it?

From Economic Hitman John Perkins;who has worked in the continent for the IMF and World Bank;
    Washington REJECTS 370 Million's Self Determination

[​IMG]
    Dear Friends,
    The under-reported stories are a clear sign of the need for each of us to be paying attention. We must shake our country awake! Below is an excerpt from a recent example. Did you read or hear about this victory for 370 Million indigenous peoples' right for self-determination and control of their land and resources in the face of U.S. opposition?
    http://globaldialoguecenter.blogs.com/johnperkins/africa/

Nigeria produces enough oil, wealth, to provide electricity to half of Europe

9. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    So are you saying if offered it would be refused? I doubt it. But.who.knows, we don't, do we? We just offer our opinions and observations here. We'll see.
    Oh and by the way if they can.do all.of that for half of Europe, are the intentionally keeping parts of the continent in the dark?