Teens helping parents

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by NNQueen, Nov 26, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    What do teens suggest parents can do (or should be doing) to help them develop into responsible adults?

What type of guidance and support can parents give to their children that fosters healthy relationships between parents and their children?

What approach should parents take today to discipline their children if necessary? Is it a good idea for parents to practice the "do as I say and not as I do" approach to raising their children?

How should fathers interact with their sons and should it be different than how they interact with their daughters--and the same for mothers?

Should parents be concerned about the way their sons/daughters dress when they go out in public or is this old-fashioned?

What builds trust between parents and children?

What advice on these topics can teens give to help parents become better parents?

2. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just think that the best approach is to start at an early age. This just means allowing them to speak their mind and not ignoring anything that they may have to say. For example, if a child decides that the allowance that they get is not fair, you can hear their side of the story, first. Then, tell them your intentionsto do so and let them understand it. There are some parents out there, for instance, a friend of mine's mother, that does not practice this way of attention. She is right now 15 years old and complains alot about her mother mistreating her. Each time, she tells me that this does not help her to become a responsible person. Instead, neglects her feelings.

3. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    personally, i think that the "do as i say and not as i do approach" is wrong,
    i mean, on the real, children take after there parents habits. Not saying that children have no sense(because at a certian age kids are to be held responsible for the things they do,) but old habits die hard.
    much love,
    -story

4. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    Our family, in particular calls family meetings to discuss about any issues that we may have. This was the way how we build trust amongst each other. Also, I should think that parents should be slightly concerned about how their children dresses in public. However way they dress sometimes reflects on the parents. The best approach is to ask how comfortable they are in wearing their outfit, question whether or not to wear it and which places are appropriate to wear them.