Black Positive People : Teen Aces SAT

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by MsInterpret, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    African American Teen Aces SAT

Perfect Score Puts Cameron Clarke in Elite Group of 360 U.S. Students

PDATED 12/22/12 - Cameron Clarke, an African-American teen from Philadelphia, attained a perfect score on this year’s Scholastic Aptitude Test, joining an elite group of 360 U.S. students.

More than 1.66 million pupils took the college preparatory test in the spring of 2011, but Clarke, a Germantown Academy senior, was among the few to score a perfect 2,400. His target college: Princeton University.

It was an achievement that the teenager, in his humility, didn’t want to “brag or boast” about, said his father, Peter Clarke, in an interview with BlackAmericaWeb.com.

“He really didn’t want anyone to know about his score, so he didn’t tell anyone at Germantown Academy about it when he got the result in June,” said the elder Clarke, manager of the The Jamaican Reef Restaurant and Lounge in South Philadelphia’s upscale Penn’s Landing neighborhood.

Clarke’s extraordinary feat began receiving public attention after Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Jenice Armstrong heard about it “through happenstance,” his father said, and published the news in her column.

“He is the one who set all this in motion,” said the elder Clarke of his child’s accomplishment. And, the gratified parent said he told his son, “I am very proud of you, but I am also very happy for you, because you did this on your own.”

In an interview with the Inquirer’s Armstrong, the 18-year-old scholar said his perfect score required hard work and perseverance. This was the second time Clarke took the test—the first time he scored 2,190, which is better than 98.5 percent of all test-takers. However, the high-schooler knew it did not reflect his full potential.

"I put in a lot of work," Clarke said. "I took a prep class with some of my friends, and I did a lot of practice tests from a book.

"But that only prepares you so much," he added. "The difference between getting, like, a 2,400 and a couple of points lower is just focus.

"You can screw up or mess up on the smallest of things. And I just feel like on that particular day, I was focused and I got kind of lucky, I guess, that I didn't make any mistakes."

But Clarke had also shown extraordinary ability from an early age. His parents, Mary Jones, a Spanish teacher at Father Judge High School, and his father, the restaurant manager, took him for an IQ test at age 4. He scored a 151

READ MORE: http://www.afro.com/sections/news/afro_briefs/story.htm?storyid=77037

2. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Thanks for posting....these are positive things in the black community that should be highlighted. Do wish him all the best in his endeavours... I am sure his parents are beaming with delight.

3. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    Wow, this is an excellent news article.

I'll try to show this to the kids in my community. Hopefully, they will be encouraged to follow in his footsteps.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    [​IMG]
    Cameron Clarke Receives Perfect SAT Score

DECEMBER 20, 2012 BY CLUTCH

WoW! An IQ of 151 @the age of four(4)...

5. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I rather see this type of news any day... It gives me the sense of hope that there are some good kids like him out there. I wish this young man many blessings.. Good post MsIn..

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Take a good look at the books. Are any written by or about Afrikan people?

This illustrates that knowledge is universal and that he has mastered this knowledge, particular in the field of mathematics and English language arts, which are the main sections of these standardized tests.

A great accomplishment and one which we all should be proud of.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The Curious Case of Cameron Clarke

http://loop21.com/culture/curious-case-cameron-clarke?page=1

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Right, its exactly why I posted his photo, for all to see the person and the books studied.

[​IMG]

9. Thelma Jackson-Smith

Thelma Jackson-Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +161
    That was a good idea.

Anyway, we can all see that this is a man that is great in spirit, looks and education!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Thanks, for sure Thelma...

But the single most thing that impresses me is his IQ of 151 at the age of 4... A clear indication that his parents exposed him to a lot, early.

Therefore, a great deal of his accomplishment(s), actually goes back to the parents, and the interest they showed; only my opinion, of course.

Peace In,