Black Education / Schools : Teaching Our Own Children

Would you create your own curriculum and teach your own children?

• Total voters
Can't say why I feel the want to say anything in this thread except that learning is such an important aspect of growing and life in general.
The act of teaching a 'Centeric' anything I think is wrong. Teaching truth is what matters. And when we think about teaching our children a Black centered curriculum it seems likely to me it risks becoming just the flip side of the white washed Euro-centeric BS most of us grew up with; it's kinda true but in the end adds up to fairy tale lies feeding myths that grow into a false truth that hardly anyone dare question. Yes it is truth our part in the human saga has been largely buried and at times tried to be erased completely but we shouldn't fall into the same hole the white has dug for himself.

I'll rant about the institutional crime that we call the public school system at another time.

Whether intentional or not the institutional public school system has always been only an instrument of brain washing of the human body and soul, which is a harder job than one may think. Consider when the school system starts and how it so neatly ties into the expected behavior (or preferred behavior) and sets the learning parameters from an fairly early age and how its structured for at least 12 more years and in todays world expected if not demanded to go beyond that. For most it don't take that long and there'll always be a few, precious few, that get out of it with soul still intact. Most will aspire for some variation of those little boxes

And living in the USA

And never questioning that anything could or should be different.

How you gets a child through it all so's they can keep their soul. Wish I had an answer.

I think this fits in here somehow:
https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/1...tecting-the-borderland-of-the-anarchist-soul/

At any rate I always take something away from what she gives.

Why Are We Still Teaching Reading the Wrong Way?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/opinion/sunday/phonics-teaching-reading-wrong-way.html

This is certainly an issue if 60% of 4th graders don't make the grade. What is the percentage for Black kids versus Latinos and Whites? But I also think there is not enough emphasis about what to read. I encountered a high school teacher who tried to encourage her students to read Harry Potter because she liked it. But she would have been about 10 years old when the Harry Potter craze started, not a teenager in high school.

Last edited:
I've run across some absolutely shocking studies of the illiteracy rate of new college graduates the past couple of years that talk of 20 and 30 %. And then even higher numbers of college graduates wouldn't pass a grade school level geography or history tests. (sorry I won't scout around for those studies, but they're out there if anyone is interested)
Someone is falling down on the job for sure if those studies are anywhere close to being true.

As a dyslexic I'm not sure I can add a lot towards how people learn to read, from my view point it's hard to understand why anyone wouldn't believe that deciphering symbols is as inherent to the human being as is speech. The making of and the deciphering of those symbols is one of the primary, if not the primary thing that set the human animal apart from all others on this planet.
Here is a short TED talk from an anthropologist/paleontologist.

If your interested in more of her studies there are longer presentations (that do go into Africa) of her findings and accompanied musings before her peer groups on the you tube web.

I don't know about any other Black parent, but in my house there was always public school during the day and home school in the evenings. I always taught my child what the public school system wasn't going to but was critical for her to know. I always knew the lessons they taught was setting my child up to be a mindless, 'go along' with whatever she was told by white folk, never to question their 'authority' and so on. At night there was always a debriefing about what she was 'taught' during the day and then the real lessons began in the home. That gave her the courage to challenge many of her teachers about what was written as "truth" in school books and to let them know her brain cells were firing on all cylinders.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back