Teacher's Discipline

Have you or your child ever been physically disciplined by School Authority?

• Total voters

QUEEN ABENA

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 26, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
Good Morning All

Today I come with a question about how students should be disciplined in School.

My daughter is 5yrs old, and she is in kindergarden. Yesterday after her bath, I noticed that she had a red mark on her arm and i asked her what happened. She hesitated so again I asked "What happened". She finally says
"Mrs. Richardson hit me with a ruler" :huh: So in a calm tone I asked her "well what were YOU doing or not doing that caused you to get hit with a ruler?" Again she hesitated, then said "Mrs. Richardson told me to turn around and I didn't, so she hit me"

Hmmm..... I said to myself. I know for a fact this type of discipline has never been displayed or even mentioned to the parents in her 3yrs with this school. Now if my daughter is misbehaving in school or disrespecting the teacher or her classmates in any case I would be notified. My real problem is not so much as the teacher disciplining her as far as school policies allow, Im troubled that i had to "discover" the mark, and my daughter seemed nervous telling me who did it. If she was misbehaving in any sort of way I woulda been on it in a flash, but i was not notified of any unruly behavior or anything.

What do you all feel about the way children of this age being disciplined physically without notification to the parents??

QUEEN ABENA said:
Good Morning All

Today I come with a question about how students should be disciplined in School.

My daughter is 5yrs old, and she is in kindergarden. Yesterday after her bath, I noticed that she had a red mark on her arm and i asked her what happened. She hesitated so again I asked "What happened". She finally says
"Mrs. Richardson hit me with a ruler" :huh: So in a calm tone I asked her "well what were YOU doing or not doing that caused you to get hit with a ruler?" Again she hesitated, then said "Mrs. Richardson told me to turn around and I didn't, so she hit me"

Hmmm..... I said to myself. I know for a fact this type of discipline has never been displayed or even mentioned to the parents in her 3yrs with this school. Now if my daughter is misbehaving in school or disrespecting the teacher or her classmates in any case I would be notified. My real problem is not so much as the teacher disciplining her as far as school policies allow, Im troubled that i had to "discover" the mark, and my daughter seemed nervous telling me who did it. If she was misbehaving in any sort of way I woulda been on it in a flash, but i was not notified of any unruly behavior or anything.

What do you all feel about the way children of this age being disciplined physically without notification to the parents??

Sister QUEEN ABENA ... while i agree that the school should be able to do what they need, within reason, to gain control of a situation ... hitting my baby can't be their first course of action.

If a teacher is having to hit my baby with a stick (ruler) ... they should also have evidence that they made me aware that there was a problem, tried working with me to solve the problem ... but all such attempts failed, and this was their last resort. Give me a chance to discipline my child first, or at least be a part of the process?!!. It doesn't sound like your baby is a "bad baby" ... so how is she all of a sudden acting in a manner deserving of being HIT! Did the teacher try to talk to her first, and she was defiant to the point that this was their best possible course of action?!

I doubt it very seriously, and as such, i'd let them know never to hit my baby again! Why you gotta be hitt'n on my little girl!? Is there a record of her terrible behavior documented?!!! Please.

Considering that you were not informed by any school officials that there was not only a need to HIT her, but that she was in fact HIT ... it isn't unreasonable for her record to be noted with this incident ... and that you do not want her to receive any corporal punishment ... being HIT ... without you being notified first, as a result of all of this. Don't let there be a lot of time between the incident and when you speak to them, as they anticipate the child has no voice (no parents that care).

Then let your baby know ... aint NOBODY spoze to be hitt'n on her ... and that she should ALWAYS tell you if they do!

Then huggg and squeeze her real tight! ... :love:

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:
Sister QUEEN ABENA ... while i agree that the school should be able to do what they need, within reason, to gain control of a situation ... hitting my baby can't be their first course of action.

If a teacher is having to hit my baby with a stick (ruler) ... they should also have evidence that they made me aware that there was a problem, tried working with me to solve the problem ... but all such attempts failed, and this was their last resort. Give me a chance to discipline my child first, or at least be a part of the process?!!. It doesn't sound like your baby is a "bad baby" ... so how is she all of a sudden acting in a manner deserving of being HIT! Did the teacher try to talk to her first, and she was defiant to the point that this was their best possible course of action?!

I doubt it very seriously, and as such, i'd let them know never to hit my baby again! Why you gotta be hitt'n on my little girl!? Is there a record of her terrible behavior documented?!!! Please.

Considering that you were not informed by any school officials that there was not only a need to HIT her, but that she was in fact HIT ... it isn't unreasonable for her record to be noted with this incident ... and that you do not want her to receive any corporal punishment ... being HIT ... without you being notified first, as a result of all of this. Don't let there be a lot of time between the incident and when you speak to them, as they anticipate the child has no voice (no parents that care).

Then let your baby know ... aint NOBODY spoze to be hitt'n on her ... and that she should ALWAYS tell you if they do!

Then huggg and squeeze her real tight! ... :love:

:heart:

Destee

Hey Mama Destee
Yes I agree with all of the above. And Please believe my daughter stays on her best behavior In & Out of school because of the way We are raising her. For my daughter to think for a second that she was gonna get in trouble for telling me that lets me know that it was Unjustified punishment. Well I had to go up to the school and TRY to be on my best behavior. I explained with extreme seriousness that if my daughter is to ever be hit with anything other than extra homework or time out then I'm gon have to show myself up in there :playball: .

This is a private school and the teachers dont have to deal with half of what the other teachers in the public schools are dealing with. A simple phone call to me would've solved any issues the teacher felt needed to be addressed.

The teacher went on to explain that she asked my daughter to turn around and sit down and she(my daughter) was giggling and playing with another child. She says she wasn't feeling well etc.... and that she was tryin to get her attention.

Whatever!!!!!!! I filed a complaint and the teacher betta thank her lucky stars that I didn't fly off the rocket up in there. I understand fully that children will try to test yo nerves, but she is a TEACHER and she was out of line.

And Mama Destee I sho did let my lil princess know U dont ever have to be afraid to report that someone is hitting on you. I love her and it is my DUTY to protect her. I also threw in that when the Teachers or any adult tells her to do something, she DOES it. Right there and then.

okay im rambling. lol
Thank you for your ear :spin:

QUEEN ABENA said:
Good Morning All

There is alot of LEGALITIES which you should CHECK THE CONTRACT FOR.

To THEM, there is NOTHING WRONG until YOU SEE IT or FIND IT and BRING IT TO THEIR ATTENTION.

Some would say its HUMAN NATURE at work.

As a FOOL, I dont believe in HUMAN NATURE.

First I hope your DAUGHTER is GETTING EXTRA CARE to help her BODY HEAL and I would PRAY on the NEXT COURSE of ACTION to HEAL the MIND.

The only schools I know that does that is catholic schools.
I would have been up at that school as soon as they unclocked the doors.
If there is a problem with my child you call me!
I do the spanking when it comes to my baby!
For them to leave a red mark on her is abusive.
How hard did they hit her?
They couldn't punish her in any other way?
No recess would have worked just fine.
Gurl I would have caught a case!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back