Black Education / Schools : Teacher Tenure Debate: Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Liberty, Jan 27, 2016.

?

Are You For Or Against Teacher Tenure?

1. For

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Against

100.0%
  1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    [​IMG]
    Tenure seems to be a topic on the tip of many tongues lately. Teachers, politicians, your brother-in-law, strangers at the restaurant table next to yours, everyone seems to have an opinion about this controversial subject. It can be difficult to know what to say when you encounter someone with a strongly held opinion one way or the other.

With that in mind, I’ve prepared a list of pro’s and con’s in the teacher tenure debate. Hopefully after reading through it you’ll feel a bit more comfortable discussing this complex issue with others.

Read more
    http://www.teachhub.com/teacher-tenure-pros-cons

2. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Against teachers union
    How long must a teacher work (tenure) before being eligible to join the Teacher's Union.
    Teacher's Union are the culprit. The union protects bad teachers.
    This topic comes up periodically.
    There have been attempts in the past to get rid of Teacher Unions.

1. Teachers Union Facts
      www.teachersunionexposed.com/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
      America's teachers unions — particularly the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers — are the most organized and powerful ...

Supreme Court Ruling Poised To Dismantle Unions | News One
      1. newsone.com/3324698/supreme-court-poised-to-dismantle-public-employee-unions/ - 200k - Cached - Similar pages
        2 days ago ... California Teachers Association, No. 14-915, asks whether such workers must continue to pay for any union activities, including negotiating for
    1. Keeping Bad Teachers in Front of Students | Teachers Union Facts
      teachersunionexposed.com/protecting.php - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
      The main function of these laws is to help bad teachers keep their jobs. ... the studentswho have to learn from these educators, virtually every teacher who works ...
    1. Dirty dozen: 12 bad teachers protected by tenure and unions | Fox ...
      www.foxnews.com/.../dirty-dozen-12-bad-teachers-who-tenure-and-unions-protected.html - 298k - Cached - Similar pages
      Jun 17, 2014 ... Below are a dozen cases in which tenure and union muscle protected bad teachers, often at the expense of students: Matthew Lang was a ...

3. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    Teacher Tenure makes no sense at all to me. Teachers should b evaluated like any other profession. If they are not performing up to par, they should be fired on the spot. Ineffective teachers have the power to ruin the education of countless children. And, that is not fair.

My son had a teacher who had been fired, sued the school district, won, and was rehired.

This woman was a nightmare. But, she had tenure, so firing her wasn't easy at all. Us parents, white and AA stayed on the phone daily comparing notes. It was unbelievable, the flagrant intentional fouls, this woman was guilty of... yet they couldn't fire her.

She hit a student. She told the kids MLK should not have a holiday "because he was a bad man". She singled out one Nigerian boy and one Mexican boy and made whipping boys out of them.

My son would be just fine until about 15 minutes before time to go to school, then he'd start barfing h was so stressed out. For whatever reason, the witch liked my son. He was always a straight "A" student. But, she took him out of the class and confronted him one day. She told him that some white girl said he didn't like her. Being the honest kid he is, he didn't deny it. She asked him why and he told her the truth. He said, "Because, you are always mean to my friends". I went to talk to the Principal about all this crap. The MLK stuff, hitting children, badgering children, and intimidating my child. I said, "Be clear, my son doesn't have to LIKE none of y'all, truth be told. He does have to respect you, and abide by the rules here, and he has always done that." The Principal was on my side, she didn't want me taking these issues higher. She told me that she promised me the witch would be gone when we returned from Christmas break. And, she was.

Sorry for the long post. But, there is no other job under the sun, where an employee could get away with so much, and not be fired on the spot.