Black People : TAVIS SMILEY: Feelings of 'ambivalence' about the movie, "The Help"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Feb 12, 2012.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
  2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    i haven't seen the movie...and i guess i should before making a comment. however, the gist of the movie is centered around these women playing maids to white people--i think. if that's the case, given our history, i'm sure that the majority of Black people feel that tug-and-pull when seeing us in that light...to be reminded of our struggles...wondering why we have to "go there," just for a job...yet being respectful of their talents, as actresses, and grateful for the job they did...in portraying these characters.

an understandable position to take...i think.

are you saying that we should be upset by his comments?

if i don't know what i'm talking about, somebody help a brutha out. don't leave me out on that limb looking stupid.:)

3. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    That's whaat I'm talking about.
    American famous quote: " they helped us but that's it"! "They fed us but that''s it" "they where always by our side but that's it".
    That's bull that we be there but at the same time invisabkle! That's the tug!
    #venting

4. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    HTP baller.

In case the question was directed at me, my answer is no.

Thought it to be an interesting discussion, not just about "the help"
    but black actors, the roles they play and stuff of that nature as was
    discussed in the interview. Not to mention it is a discussion that is
    taking place throughout the black community.

It is open for anyone to share their views regarding this issue.

5. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    I tend to agree with Tavis, while its great to see black actresses nominated its sad its in the role of a maid or in Halle Berrys case a woman who gets banged by the guy who gave her husband the electric chair.

This clip was edited so I dont know if he mentioned the movie is a fictional story about a white woman who fights racism by documenting the black maids plight. In real life of course there was no kind hearted white woman, these maids and black people in general had to fight their own battles.

I hated the movie.

6. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I noticed that too. That is why I posted the link to pbs, to get
    the whole interview.

7. word up

word up Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +75
    I am in agreement with Tavis. I was disgusted when i heard her defending herself and had the nerve to get political about it. " this thinking is what is destroying our people". Ain't it laughable that the people who will not read one book, not one author on Black issues, got the nerve to be quick to tell us what is wrong with Black people? But this sort of thing will happen. What are we gonna do about this kind of behaviour? What would make Black Actors/Actresses fearful of disgracing our people on film? And i'm tired of hearing the whole protest/ boycott movement. It didn't scare Halle Berry. They confidently know that all we gonna do is whine and shake our heads.

8. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    As it has been with most Black entertainers these days, they will say or do anything to be famous, even if it means taking degrading roles in movies. The actresses were trying really hard to prove why they chose such a belittling roles from the movie the help. One of them made that emotionally charged, unnecessary comment about Tavis Smiley and the Black community destroying the Black artist for not appreciating these roles. If Tavis wasn't a professional about it, the silly statement could have lead to an argument. She even said that she doesn't want to play noble characters all the time, which begs the questions how many black films do you see a year where the Black women are playing noble characters? In any case the other one went even further as to say that she wants to play serial killer, It's quite sad to say the least.

9. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    I understand where she's coming from...I think.
    This is her craft. She wasn't railing against black folks so much as she was defending herself (and the others) as an actress. Her craft. She seems to feel attacked and, maybe, that her artistry isn't respected.
    ...that the feelings of a film of this nature are overshadowing their work. ...that she's being held to the old 'Measuring Stick of Blackness' once again. I hear it in her voice.
    From where she's standing, I can see how his comments sound like backhanded insults. "Well, you did a good job - but...you're a Hattie Mcdaniel sellout."
    It diminished her. Honestly, that would piss me off. I can see why she came out with guns blazing.
    I don't judge them. Any of them. I'm not in their shoes...and wouldn't want to be. I've never envied 'fame' or the 'famous'.
    Whether you're an actor or political figure, it's a rough thing to be a public figure...'specially if you're black. Trying to do your job and trying to please everyone. This community...? In recent years, there hasn't been a black movie in creation that hasn't been met with controversy. This community isn't understanding and cuts no one any slack.

I didn't watch the movie...*laugh* So...I can't say much. The whole premise kind of...turned me off. Seemed like a nice 'feel good' type film, though.

ANYWAY --
    I appreciate their work, but I'm moreso annoyed at the selection of black movies. It doesn't matter the artist/actress. IMO, it wasn't even all that great while I was growing up in the 90's:
    - Thug Films (boys in the hood, menace to society)
    - Black Women Whining (waiting to exhale, soul food)
    - Dumb Black Comedies

Hell - Singleton did more to destroy the black male (black community) image in the minds of the public than any black chick flick ever could.
    The better selection would have to be the romance movies...but I'm not into sap (sappy black chick flicks) which is why I can't sit through Tyler Perry movies. No one makes sap quite like Tyler.
    Although ---
    I do like his plays which usually show-cases my favorite, Ms Tamala Mann...who nearly 'converts' me everytime she opens her mouth to sang. Music is the expression of the soul, truly.
    I like Tyler. To his credit, he puts black actors to work! This should be applauded. He's taken over TBS. He does infuse good messages...about drugs and relationships and forgiveness and communication. I'm not a fan, but Madea preaches 'common sense' in those plays. *laugh*
    Some balk against it - but I say it's a good thing. It reaches a certain subculture within the black community that has a knack for displaying wrong-headed ways of being and values. I've a friend who grew up in this.

Either way, this woman sucks up anything Tyler Perry-related.
    Madea's 'pearls of wisdom'-->

I wasn't even impressed with RedTails.
    I mean:
    [​IMG]
    http://tuskegee.wsfa.com/news/news/...duate-tuskegee-civilian-pilot-program-dies-90
    She was MARRIED to a tuskeegee airman. The strength of this women...and they put a white broad in the film? *laugh*
    To sell tickets, no doubt.
    Shouldn't be surprised. Hell -- a black female cartoon character ('Princess Tiana', Frog Princess) can't even have a black prince....
    ...and before anyone says it, please - I'm prior service (af/army nat'l guard, 'commissioned' and boned up on my military history.
    Black history is black history...and highlights shouldn't be axed out to sell tickets.

10. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I disagree with ms. davis that idea/mindset that smiley expressed as destroying the black artist.
    Smiley tried to speak to the industry at large yet the ladies wanted to make it about them. Its
    really hard to talk about these issues when folks take an issue which is beyond them, greater
    than them and attempt to restructure the debate as if it's directly and only about them.

Maybe..., instead of speaking to the actors playing these kinds of roles, it would be best to speak
    to the creators and or writers of these movies. I would like to ask, who is it -lucas(?), why he
    felt the need to use a white woman as one of the pilots love interest.

It is liken to the discussion regarding the content found in hip-hop. Having a panel discussion with
    t.i. ...and uh... david banner was virtually useless and a waste of time. The panel should've comprised
    of the owners and ceo's of these labels. Not the rappers. And the same for the actors.