Black Women : Tattoo or Body Piercing?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by cocobutterskyn, Sep 11, 2002.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    What age should a child be permitted to get a tattoo or body piercing?

Coco :heart:

2. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    in my opinion, they should get any tattoos or body piercing. i can see girls getting their ears pierced but other than that, not until they're adults.

i don't know what's going on though, at the last school i worked, one of the young ladies has her tongue pierced. she was 13 at the time her mother allowed her to get the piercing. but then again, what about children who go and get piercing and tattoos without parental permission. actually, is that even legal? if so, it shouldn't be. people aren't allowed to get cigarettes or alcohol until they're 18 and 21, respectively.

also, i don't think little boys need to have their ears pierced. i've seen a few preschoolers with BOTH ears done.

maybe i'm just too old...LOL!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well they gotta be of age if they choose but not before
    sure the baby gurls can get the ears piercing thing
    but all that other stuff i say no way !!
    look at dis way why bring harm to the body .
    gotta be an adult no kids

4. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you what scares me ---- it's putting a ring through the ****oris! A woman would have to sign a medical release form before I would touch her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    ouch!!!

so it's seems you don't mind the piercings otherwise, like say, through the nipple?

btw, welcome Ebonyman! :kiss:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I think it is such a violation of a child's rights when a parent alters (cosmetic surgery) the way God made them, without them being of legal age to know what they are agreeing to.

I was firmly against my daughter's ears being pierced before she was of legal age, but my dear darling Mother, God bless her soul, did not agree with me and one summer when the children were visiting her, she took Felecia and got her ears pierced. What could I do? Sue her or something? God Forbid, as that would have been a greater violation than the one I thought I had endured. My mother-in-law was so happy that Felecia came back with her ears pierced! She did not agree with me either but wouldn't have dared gone against my wishes, like my own Mother so comfortably did. Of course Felecia was happy too! Everyone was happy but me.

My reason for being so adamantly against it, is because we (adults) are living here and now and have no idea what tomorrow will bring. Will these things still be considered fashionable? Will our children's lives take a path that abhors such things and then they are faced with having to undo something (if possible) that was done to them simply for the sake of "fashion?" In my opinion, there are more important things to make sure of as a child is growing up, than if their ears are pierced. If they should choose to have them pierced when they are young adults ... so be it ... at least it will be their choice, made with a mind able to process such decisions fully.

My daughter is now 17, her ears have been pierced many years without any negative results (infections, torn holes, etc.). God is Good.

I always worried that my son would want his ear(s) pierced! :eeek: I don't think I could have handled that, or at least I didn't want to have to. Raising a son (man) alone, as a single mother, I tried (prayed) with all my might to raise a man that would be a man, with no idea of what a man really is! No easy task! Pierced ears and earrings just didn't seem to fit into my idea of "male." Again, God is Good. He has never had either of his ears pierced and I don't think it's something that he wants. He does have a tattoo though, purchased after he became an adult.

Coco ... Great question Sis. I think the appropriate age is 18.

Ebonyman ~ Welcome ~ Welcome ~ Welcome ~ :)

:heart:

Destee

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    truely for a gurl a child the ears is o'k but to take it 2 other parts
    of da body is a destructional mask to GOD's eyes
    now boys is a whole new mess no male should be lable wit
    piercing til they r of age and on their own
    but we see so many children and even teens all pierced out
    wit all kindz of tattoo's
    a mess..

8. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hello all,
    The reason for my question....

My daughter will be Sweet 16 this month and asked if she could have a tattoo for her birthday. I am not against tattoos. I have one myself, but didn't receive it until after 30 years old. She has told me a lot of the kids in her school have tattoos and I'm being too old fashioned. I thought about it for a while and then asked a few close friends what they thought. They suggested I allow her to get one with certain stipulations, such as, I ok the tattoo design, size and location. I still haven't decided. :)

Thandiwe,
    A tongue ring? OUT OF THE QUESTION! I dislike them so much. Ouch!(my mouth hurts just thinking about it) I don't even want her getting one when she's an adult and moves out. I thank God she hasn't asked. :)

"i've seen a few preschoolers with BOTH ears done.
    maybe i'm just too old...LOL!"

I don't think you're too old at all. I've not only seen preschoolers with both ears pierced....I've also seen them with gold chains hanging around their necks. Things like that trip me out,
    but hey...that's another thread, huh? LOL!

Shh-Erykah,
    I got your point girl.

Ebonyman,
    "I'll tell you what scares me ---- it's putting a ring through the ****oris! A woman would have to sign a medical release form before I would touch her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I don't blame you brutha... I'd do the same. :wave: Welcome to Destee's

Thandiwe....The nipple? These thoughts are so painful.

Destee,
    I feel you on the piercing without your permission. My daughter's father allowed her to have her nose pierced. It's been a year or more and I still dislike it.

I also feel your reasoning for being against tattoos/piercings is very sound.

$Rich$,
    I don't think other parts of the body should be pierced other than the ears on females
    and one ear on males.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I appreciate them all....Bigtime! :)

Coco :heart:

9. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    cocobutterskyn:

My opinion? --> Stand your ground. Do (give permission) for what you honestly believe! If you truly believe your daughter should be older to make such a decision about a tatoo --- then that's what you should stand by! And I think you are right! In fact, how many times do older people wish they had not gotten that tatoo at that younger age when they are NOW going for that job interview or when NOW they find that tatoo embarassing? I advise you to tell her that as long as she is underage below 18 y/o that you must substitute your mature judgment for hers and prohibit a tatoo right now and when she is legally independent at 18 y/o, she can vote, and do whatever she wants. [In fact, I would stretch it to when she is no longer living off your home or money and is out completely on her own!] Not that I am religious (because Lord knows I'm a sure-'nough sinner!), but it is written that "Ye shall not ... print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." [Leviticus 19:28]. So, you can tell your daughter that tatoos are wrong since time-in-memorial ---- so I guess it is old fashion!

Thandiwe:

No. I feel the same way about rings in the nipples that I do about rings in the cliitoris ---- I want nothing obstructing my thing! AND, I don't want to be libel for any damage caused by my erotic enthusiasm!

10. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    :) :laugh:

gotcha!