Black People : tatoos,your own idea or....!

I have 2 tatoos currently..
I did the first one as a righteous act expressing my freedom to make my own concious deciscions without my parent, and it was valentines day.. and I was alone.
So.. I had went to the tatoo parlor with a friend.. who was experiencing the same sentiment.. and wanted to rid ourselves of the pain of bein alone and replace it with another one. It worked wonderfully... I have an angel on my back.. with her wings spread. and the words "never alone" below it.
Its very sentimental.

the second I got... last valentines day.. In which i was alone again for the majority of the day..
and I got Bast and Sekhmet... the egyptian cat gods back to back...
one with a devilish look on her face.. with tears.. (sekhmet) and Bast with a face full of laughter... (laugh now cry later)... in my own version... being that my date had to work the majority of that day.. i felt this was appropriate..

its not fad.. i feel tatoos are apart of my heritage... africans did it.. samoans did it .. indians..and asians did it. So im reclaiming my heritage.. and a sense of never being alone because my ancestors are always there with me..

PoeticManifesta said:
one with a devilish look on her face.. with tears.. (sekhmet) and Bast with a face full of laughter... (laugh now cry later)... in my own version... being that my date had to work the majority of that day.. i felt this was appropriate..

Wow, that's really interesting to here, Sister!!

Just a little more info about the Neteru (Dieties) that you have:

Both of these Cat Gods are actually Goddesses.

BASTET is the personification of emotional protection, bringer of joy, and protector of the home, temple, or any personal dwelling. She is generally depicted as a Black woman with a Black cat's head, carrying the Sistrum, which is a little doll on the top of an Ankh, that is used to ward off evil spirits that might attack a person. She is also the patron Goddess of the various temples in ancient Kemet, and the priestesses during that time would often dress up like here during cermonies.

SEKHMET is the personification of the Warrior Spirit. She represents the militant side, and as a Solar goddess, she is where we draw our physical strenght. She is also a master martial artist, carrying the Sword and shield.
She is depicted as a Black woman with the Lioness's head. In ancient times, many Warrior queens would dress like her in preparation for war.

its not fad.. i feel tatoos are apart of my heritage... africans did it.. samoans did it .. indians..and asians did it. So im reclaiming my heritage.. and a sense of never being alone because my ancestors are always there with me..

Wow, this is so profound........I have a new level of respect for you!! :bowdown:

You are very correct in everything you have said here. It's too bad that our people don't know these things. Otherwise, they wouldn't treat it like a fad, but instead something very special. That's why we should mark our bodies with meaningless objects like guns, dollar bills, naked women, or some short-term lover.

These markings can do much harm to us.

I myself have no tat's as of yet........However, I intend to get a few at some point, but ONLY after I have graduated to a certain degree of spiritual ascension.

Both of my totems in Both Cherokee and Kemetic cosmology are the Hawk

Cherokee = the Red Tailed Hawk, from which I am named (PowerStorm RedFeather)

Kemetic = Herukhuti the Military form of Heru (Horus).

Until then, I have not earned the right to mark my body, based on these theologies.

HOTEP

PoeticManifesta said:
I have 2 tatoos currently..
I did the first one as a righteous act expressing my freedom to make my own concious deciscions without my parent, and it was valentines day.. and I was alone.
So.. I had went to the tatoo parlor with a friend.. who was experiencing the same sentiment.. and wanted to rid ourselves of the pain of bein alone and replace it with another one. It worked wonderfully... I have an angel on my back.. with her wings spread. and the words "never alone" below it.
Its very sentimental.

the second I got... last valentines day.. In which i was alone again for the majority of the day..

I've always been afraid to get one.
I was afraid the needles wouldn't be clean or I'd have some allergic reaction to the ink. Poetic those are some wonderful tat's, you are quite intelligent for a young sistah!:love:
I was thinking about getting a g-clef on my arm with roses and my daughters and deceased grandmother's name written in between it, if I ever get the nerve!:blush:

oldiesman said:
this question is for those of you[male and female]with tatoos,did you decide one day to get one for your own reasons or were you following the fad like so many others do?[i've been wondering and would like to hear from you on this subject].
I have 13 beautiful tattoos....12 are spirtual..1 is sentimental....
i love my ink, because its good...When I started getting "tatted" it wasn't a fad only sailors and frat boys, and goth kids were sporting them...

As PoeticManifesta, I was alone when I went under the needle 12 times...and
was "tatted" to Salvatore Licitra's beautiful voice...No fear here...however, I'm done..no more tatts for me

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back