Black Sports : Tarver v Hopkins June 7th and 1 more for Roy

MississippiRed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 11, 2004
Dam why can't yall just stop...!

TAMPA - One more challenge for Tampa light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver. One last fight for Bernard Hopkins.

Those are the tests ahead for both fighters on June 10.

Tarver (24-3, 18 KOs) and Hopkins came to a contractual agreement on Thursday to meet each other on that date, with Atlantic City as the leading candidate to host this fight, according to promoter Joe DeGuardia. The bout will be televised live on HBO pay-per-view and all parties expect to sign the final paperwork soon.

"Like I told everybody, I'm out to prove they never overestimated me, but underestimated me and never gave me my just due and I'm out to prove that," Tarver said. "Bernard is coming off two controversial losses, but we aren't taking him lightly. We're up to the challenge. It will be one of the best fights of the year."

Hopkins (46-4-1, 32 KOs) has fought the majority of his career as a middleweight (160 pounds), but will move up to light heavyweight (175) for what he claims will be the final fight of his career, win or lose.

He fought Jermain Taylor twice in 2005 and lost both bouts by decision (split and unanimous) and is looking to erase the bad memories of those close losses.

"First, it's a historic fight for me to move up from middleweight to light heavyweight, and secondly, Antonio Tarver has the credibility, but he's not a Hall of Fame boxer, I am," Hopkins said. "When it comes down to outside the ring, and you measure stats and accomplishments, I win by KO alone.

"Paper and what you've accomplished give you credibility, but nothing to do with the outcome you're facing. This challenge facing me in the future is important to me."

Hopkins, who is 41-years old, may find Tarver to be a bigger challenge than Taylor.

Tarver is best known for ending the reign of legendary Roy Jones Jr. after winning two of three fights against him, including a unanimous decision in front of over 20,000 fans at the St. Pete Times Forum in October. He also gave up his WBC and WBA titles to fight Glen Johnson, who Tarver defeated by unanimous decision after losing a split decision inititaly.

"After June 10, I'm changing my nickname from the Magic Man to the Dream Killer because I'm putting legends to bed. May Bernard Hopkins rest in peace," Tarver said. "I've proved I'm head and shoulders above the rest. Kudos to Bernard for having a big dream, but this is where it will end. It will be his story, but it won't be history for Bernard."

Hopkins disagreed with Tarver's prediction.

"Tarver needs to buy a 1975 afro-wig. Why? Because he won't want anyone to recognize him after I beat him," Hopkins said.

and on the side note.....Roy Jr. and Joe Calzaghe are trying to get a fight together for July....(his promoter openly says he wants the fight because Joe would whoop him easily.) aint' that a b1tch? man now Calzaghe and Hatton are talking mad smack.....I'll be glad when they get touched up ........

Oh yeah Let's go Floyd......

MississippiRed

panafrica said:
Although Hopkins is more skilled than Tarver, I can't see him winning this one. Hopkins was outmuscled by Taylor in both fights, which was the primary reason he lost. Tarver is not only stronger than Taylor, but stronger with a longer reach. Again I'll always cheer for my man, but see this as a bad matchup.

Yeah when I read the article just now the first thought in my head was " BIG MISTAKE" .....Bhop ain't no light heavyweight......and Tarver aint' no Jermaine Taylor he won't be dazed and confused in dealing with the way Hop fights.....it's sad for me to say but Hopkins stands a real good chance of winding up on his *** in this one........to me this is the worse fight he could've taken....hell he got rattle by Taylor a few times and I know Tarver hits harder than Jermaine does.............but I have been in a slump so far this year picking fights.......not this time though it's too much of a size strength and punching power miss match.......

Red

kente417mojo said:
This will be snoozefest 2006. I wasn't impressed with Tarver against Roy Jones, who's more active than Hopkins. So I can imagine Tarver and Hopkins just staring at eachother for 12 rounds. If I see it, it won't be on my dime. And Roy needs to just sit down. He's done too.

I don't know man I think Tarver was half way scared of getting hit with a throwback shot from Roy he won't be afraid of Hopkins at all so I think he'll be more aggressive........dam man I hope somebody will be aggressive.....hey I hope Roy keep on fighting when I think about it.......cuz as long as he in the ring he ain't in the music studio.......

Red

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back