Tanzania : Tanzania dumps English as its official language in schools, opts for Kiswahili

RAPTOR

Sep 12, 2009
Tanzania is set to become the first sub-Saharan African country to use an African language as the
medium of instruction throughout the schooling years.

As part of far-reaching plans to reform education, President Jakaya Kikwete’s administration
announced last week that, going forward, education in Tanzania will have Kiswahili as the sole
language of instruction.

Currently, public education in Tanzania is bilingual, as it has been since the country’s independence
from the British in 1961. At primary level, students are taught in Kiswahili, with English a part of the
curriculum as a language subject. At secondary school level, and all the way up to university, the
learning process is reversed, with English becoming the medium of instruction.

As someone who is a product of this education, I am pleased that Kikwete is bringing some clarity to a
system that has for generations left students confused and not necessarily proficient in
either language

But is it smart policy?

Kiswahili, commonly called Swahili in the west, has been the foundation through which Tanzania has
built its sense of national cohesion. The country boasts over 130 ethnic groups , all with their
own languages and cultural traditions. Yet for a region that has struggled with ethnic conflicts
(see Rwanda and Kenya), we have escaped such problems largely due to the unifying force of
Kiswahili. The nature of Kiswahili itself, a language constituted out of Arabic, Bantu, English and
German, reflects our diversity and our history. It has given us a sense of collective identity and the
means through which we feel connected to our fellow countrymen.

Read more:
http://destee.com/index.php?forums/black-education-schools.73/create-thread

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Perfection Tanzania : In Context Series: A Status Review of Private Universities and Colleges in Tanzania Tanzania 0
olduvai limited Tanzania : diamond from tanzania Tanzania 86
Alarm Clock Libya : Obama/Bush, Tanzania; no Coincidence? Libya type op planned for the Congo? Libya 1
Amnat77 Tanzania : A Black Panther living in exile in Tanzania. Tanzania 20
I Tanzania : Things to do in Tanzania? Tanzania 2
cherryblossom Tanzania : Tanzania: Albino Attacks Tanzania 38
T Tanzania : Tanzania's President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete Tanzania 1
P Tanzania : Women advance in Tanzania cabinet Tanzania 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Socialite Denise Rich Dumps U.S. Passport Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : br williams dumps us..... Black People Open Forum 9
HODEE Black People : Slim-Fast Dumps Goldberg Over Bush Jabs Black People Open Forum 18
R Black Poetry : Cats try Ebonics and fail it's black English so exact and distinguish it has a diatonic scale it's s Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Perfection Djibouti : In Context Series: English Policies and Curricular Reforms in Multilingual, Postcolonial Djibouti Djibouti 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so Black Education / Schools 118
42Tribes Black Entertainment : La Reine Soleil with English subtitles Black Entertainment 3
Enki Black Poetry : Jamila Lyiscott: 3 ways to speak English Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
S Gambia : Gambia President to shift State language from English Gambia 9
CHoff Black Education / Schools : African American English in Education Black Education / Schools 4
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kirikou and the Sorceress - pt. 2 (english version) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kirikou and the Sorceress - pt. 1 (english version) Audio Video Web Conferencing 3
RAPTOR Black People : Arizona Ethnic Studies Classes Banned, Teachers With Accents Can No Longer Teach English Black People Open Forum 1
river Black Picture Image Gallery : My 10 Year Old Nephew Elijah English Black Picture Image Gallery 13
Metaverse Black Spirituality Religion : Why Don't We Speak The Same ENGLISH? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
Mad Skillz Black People : News Reporter Speaks The King's English Then Hot Ghetto Mess Black People Open Forum 3
P Black Poetry : The English Language Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
howardtsu Black Poetry : Her English Class Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Zulile Black Jokes Humor : The English Language Black Jokes Humor 2
Destee Black People : English - A Bastardized Language Black People Open Forum 27
P Senegal : TRG HIRING ENGLISH SPEAKERS IN SENEGAL Senegal 1
ibrahim Black Jokes Humor : THE MOST FUNCTIONAL ENGLISH WORD Black Jokes Humor 1
M Black People : Southern English,and Black Southern English ( AAVE) Black People Open Forum 40
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : BODY ENGLISH Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 27
I Black People : Ques ; Where Does The Word English Come From ? Black People Open Forum 0
MANASIAC Black People : Proper English VS Accents Black People Open Forum 51
Isaiah Pan-Africanism : AFRICANISMS IN AMERICAN ENGLISH... Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 1
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Bill Cosby, "Poor Blacks Can't Speak English. Chief Elder Osiris 24
J Black Poetry : Do You Know Any English(spanish and english version) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
M Black Poetry : Rip English Like Crazy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9