Black Spirituality Religion : Tale of the African Christian and her 'Demonic' Ancestors

Alexandra

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 13, 2008
unicorn.JPG

I have always believed that cultivating a relationship with the Ancestors is the same as embarking on a pilgrimage to regaining spiritual freedom where Ancestors inform our approach to everything. Life is infinite (circle of life) and knows no end; death is another form of existence, allowing one to change from a physical being to a spiritual one, so who better than them to instruct us in spiritual matters?

Malidoma agrees and in his book ‘Of Water and Spirit’ states; “in many non-Western cultures, the ancestors have an intimate and absolutely vital connection with the world of the living. They are always available to guide, to teach and to nurture. They represent one of the pathways between the knowledge of this world and the next. Most importantly – and paradoxically, they embody the guidelines for successful living – all that is most valuable about life. Unless the relationship between the living and the dead is in balance (in return for guidance and protection, tributes must be aid to ancestors by the living, the most important one being to keep their name alive), chaos results.

How very true.

A recent experience cemented this statement for me, and I share it now in the hope that it will also prove useful to another.

I had heard about this Tanzanian woman for several weeks. Seems that she had incurred the wrath of my hometown’s version of Juanita Bynum and ignorant of her actions and its consequences, she had asked this priestess to lay hands on her for healing. Later on that night, when she closed her eyes, all she could see were huge snakes lunging at her, or trying to swallow her alive. So vivid and realistic were the dreams that she didn’t sleep for many nights on end. Unfortunately, this was the start of many more unfortunate incidents which always involved this priestess.

The most recurring incident involved her housing. Whenever this priestess visited her home, this Tanzanian would end up being turfed out by the Landlord soon after and eventually, she became homeless and took to sleeping in a garage/shed. To make matters worse, in addition to her high BP, she also started coughing blood, and getting intermittent chest pains, although Doctors could not pinpoint a cause.

It so happened that she spent the night at my Mother’s and the next day, we got to chatting casually, but gradually, the timid, quiet, and soft spoken Elder opened up and told me how she had gone from being a successful business woman with a happy home life to being chronically ill, homeless and generally miserable (ironically, her son lives in the same town, but wants nothing to do with her). I felt sorry for her, and in an attempt to lighten the mood, asked her if she had been to Mombasa. She had. Matter of fact, she family there and considered it a second home. What did you make of the unruly, and fearless Djinns that reside there? asked I. She shrugged and said that she was used to dealing with such demons, and that she constantly fought them with prayer.

“My ancestors came from Egypt and settled in Tanzania. My great great Grandparents were real King and Queen. I am from a royal family. My grandfather served them after they died, but my Father was a Christian and he did not, so I refuse to have anything to do with them. They harass me all the time, but I hate them. They are demons, and I want to find a way to disconnect them from my life.”

As though to prove just how serious she was, she reached into her bag and took out a massive binder which seemed to groan at the seam with Christian material on how to battle Demons such as Lilith, and practises such withcraft, Necronomicon etc. With a huge circuit of reference to mythology, lavishly illustrated, and brilliantly signposted , it would be a hard book for non-scientists Demonbusters and certainly Occult students to put down. I happened to spot a few seals that I had used but chose not to gush about how effective they were.

At this point I was lost for words; never had I seen such vitriol coming from a Christian. Eventually, I managed to venture the following theory in the hope that it would temper her detestation with just a small degree of understanding; could it be that all her bad luck would stop if she would only acknowledge and fulfill her ancestral obligations?

‘Yes it will' came the instant response. 'I know it is them who are doing this; they tell me all the time but I hate them. They are demons and I don’t want anything to do with them. I have Jesus, and He is all I need.’

It was soon time for her to go, and with a heavy heart, I wished her well then settled down to mentally review this meeting. I recalled the post titled ‘The Lion King – A rebirth’ initiated by Blackbird in which he wrote at one point;

“Of particular note is the important role, Rafiki the monkey-priest/ess plays in Simba's reconnection to his ancestors and resurrection in full kinghood. The Ifa Odu Oturupon Meji speaks of the role the diviner priest and propitation of the ancestors have in one attaining a good life. Throughout Africa, various societies speak about the connection paying proper homage to one's ancestors has one one's life and well-being. The Dagara people of northern Ghana and the Bamana people of southeastern Mali discuss how losing a connection with one's ancestral soul by removing one's ancestral culture impacts the psychological and social health of a person. These societies forewarn of restlessness, intense anger, mental illness and overall apathy that can be discovered in a disconnected person separated from his sie or dya. In Vodun, it is the kpoli, an aspect of an individual's soul composition that is located in the stars and serves as a union point of their destiny and ancestral lineage.”

Source: http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58389&page=2

Alexandra

This seems a fitting place to post the following information from Jean Kent who is a Houngan Asogwe on some effective ways to honor Ancestors.

source: http://www.florid.org/myinitiation.htm

1. Yearly Mass For Ancestors

Once a year, go to a Catholic or Greek Orthodox Church's Parish office and request a mass for your ancestors. (Jewish also provide services for the dead but the Catholics will do it no matter what your religious belief are) You should do one for your mother's side, one for your father's side. In addition when you request this service you you should give a a $3.00 donation for the poor, understand you don't have to be there when they perform the mass on the other hand, the mass will not be valid without the donation. When the Parish is taking your request, they will ask when you want to schedule the mass, just say whenever is available. The effect takes place as soon as you pay for it. It is imperative to do this once a year so that the spirits you have work for you. If you don't take care of your ancestors, then
why should they help you?

2. Weekly Salute To Ancestors

You will need a glass of water, a white candle and a plate. When you bow, bow by just slightly bending your knees and coming right back up, still facing forward.

Face East and light the candle. Take the glass of water and the lit candle and raise them while announcing to the spirits, "Spirits of my ancestors, mother's side, father's side, love honor respect!" Drop a small quantity of water on the ground then bow.

Now turn clockwise to the West and do the same, then turn counter-clockwise to North, then clockwise to South.

After you are done, leave the candle to burn out in the center of a plate, with the glass next to it. If you are nervous to leave it burning when you are not present, you can snuff it then relight it later. Dump the water out and throw away the wax when you are done.

If you are struggling with finances, you will find it beneficial to place a fork, butter knife, and spoon around the candle. Have the knife and fork touching points, making the sides of the triangle, and lay the spoon across the bottom to form the base. This symbolizes that you need money to eat.

Hope this helps.

Alexandra

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back