Black Relationships : Taking Things For granted

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by legit-writer, Oct 26, 2006.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I've realized that some of us take people who are good for granted. We misuse our good people and treat the "bad" people with the utmost respect. I have thought about how some of us say we want someone good, but when we get that, we don't know how to treat them, and we want to fall back onto people who are no good for us. It's just not fair to the ones who mean well. We always seem to be the ones who get left for those who are lesser than us. And then those very same people are the ones who will be misarable for the rest of their days. I was talking to someone some time ago about that. I told him that maybe he should think about what's good for him and what isn't to save him some misery in his life. I hung out with him and come to find out, he has feelings for his ex girlfriend still, which I did not know. He didn't seem happy with what I was telling him and that he feels that I am looking at him as the bad guy, when I wasn't. I was trying to tell him how I felt, and all I wanted him to do was listen just like I was willing to do with him. He tells me he likes a woman who is honest, knows what she wants in her life, but it seems that he has feelings for someone who says she wants to be with him and then a month later, abruptly broke it off. That's why he really needs to take a look and see if that is what he really wants. And if he doesn't want that, then what is he going to do about it. He wanted to go to bed, and he seemed upset at me, but he said he was upset at himself. Things between him and I have not been the same since. Other than that, we need to stop taking our good folks for granted. I just wanted to get that off my chest, you know? That's all I have
    to say for now.
    P.S........
    Why do we throw away what's good for us? :garbage:

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I lived out this scenario just recently. Some people like drama, and often it is evident their our choice of mates e.g: thuggish men and fast slick-talkin women. What you described is VERY common. I find that a lot of folks just want a 'good person' in their corner just to be able to brag that they obtained the unobtainable. Some folks just like the thrill of rejecting what so many others vie for; ASSUMING the 'ol reliable' person will be available at their disposal.

When folks diss the 'good person' and fall back on those who are not good for them, it shows they are comfortable with that type of character who is often a reflection of themselves. I refuse to allow some one upgrade by hanging onto me JUST BECAUSE I have a good heart. Been there... done that. They need to search within themselves and allow their own goodness to manifest.

Peace

3. complexbrother

complexbrother Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    I perfectly understand the meaning of your expertly written post. my moms have been sick lately and gave us a real scare recently , I had thought of my mother not being here, and I was sick in my heart because of it. we need to let all the loved ones in our lives know how we feel, not " I guess they know", but tell them how we feel about them with words and actions . I have who are good for me and not just good to me in my life, and I let them know that.

peace.