Black Women : taking a stand..

deepy

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 4, 2003
nyc
A friend of mine, wrote and told me of an incident she had . She had gone to the library to work and while there a group of young children came in with a teacher.
They began to laugh and speak very loudly. They used profanity like it was the abcs. The teacher had very little control...the librarian didn't seem to be able to do anything. My friend said she saw fear in the adults. Fear. My friend stated she finally had to address them. First she tried to communicate to see what if any books they were going to read and they mothe******r'd her. But all of a sudden some energy washed over her and she said she became her mother's mother and whatever the tone was - they heard her and for a moment they stopped and listened to her. She gave them a book of paul laurence dunbar poems and she started to read. For a moment they listened.
She sent this little story to several of us, demanding that we stop being afraid of our children. That we risk communicating with them about manners and respect and decency. That we, as women, (but i believe men as well) have to start talking to the children in the streets or the parks or the restaurants, whereever.
That we have to risk taking a stand. Of not only talking, but doing.
It seems to me even if we learn and grown..if the generations that follow us, (and if you are a teenager a generation is already behind you) don't move beyond then we have done very little to really help the we of us...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject and maybe some ideas of things we can do...
peace and blessings

deepy,

You are absolutely right, we must take a stand with respect to addressing our children when we see bahaviour like this. Apparently the parents of these children have been derelict in duty.

I make a calculated effort to approach youg males, particuliarly when I see them on a bus, or train or park. harassing girls or using foul langauge in front of adults.

I let them know that the girls you harass is probably a sister of someone your age, and a daughter of a parent. That the language you use is insulting and disrespectful to older brothas and sistahs around you.

And most of the time, they are completely caught off gaurd and are silenced with shock!

A friend of mine, wrote and told me of an incident she had . She had gone to the library to work and while there a group of young children came in with a teacher.
They began to laugh and speak very loudly. They used profanity like it was the abcs. The teacher had very little control...the librarian didn't seem to be able to do anything. My friend said she saw fear in the adults. Fear. My friend stated she finally had to address them. First she tried to communicate to see what if any books they were going to read and they mothe******r'd her. But all of a sudden some energy washed over her and she said she became her mother's mother and whatever the tone was - they heard her and for a moment they stopped and listened to her. She gave them a book of paul laurence dunbar poems and she started to read. For a moment they listened.
She sent this little story to several of us, demanding that we stop being afraid of our children. That we risk communicating with them about manners and respect and decency. That we, as women, (but i believe men as well) have to start talking to the children in the streets or the parks or the restaurants, whereever.
That we have to risk taking a stand. Of not only talking, but doing.
It seems to me even if we learn and grown..if the generations that follow us, (and if you are a teenager a generation is already behind you) don't move beyond then we have done very little to really help the we of us...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject and maybe some ideas of things we can do...
peace and blessings

AMEN!....Excellent story and topic!

Yes, we ALL need to "take a stand" by striving to reach out to our children.

deepy,

You are absolutely right, we must take a stand with respect to addressing our children when we see bahaviour like this. Apparently the parents of these children have been derelict in duty.

I make a calculated effort to approach youg males, particuliarly when I see them on a bus, or train or park. harassing girls or using foul langauge in front of adults.

I let them know that the girls you harass is probably a sister of someone your age, and a daughter of a parent. That the language you use is insulting and disrespectful to older brothas and sistahs around you.

And most of the time, they are completely caught off gaurd and are silenced with shock!

excellent guidance!

I believe none are beyond saving or guiding,.... many even welcome the attention and positive input from outsiders

so to speak..

I volunteer with the youth at the county Juvenile detention center. They come in there with attitudes you would not believe, but a lot of them come from homes where there is no love. Most of them are not heard and the most that these youth hear is "You're bad", "You're not good at what you do", "You'll never amount to anything."

I go through and look at their court documents written by counselors and probation officers and judges and it's sad to see that some of these kids do not respect authority, based upon the fact that their parents/guardians simply do not care about the youth's life. And to hear that some of their goals is to become dope dealers or that they dropped out of school is sad too.

We must remember they are still children. And they just want someone to listen to them, not someone to drill them with lectures. That's when they will shut you out. Especially the teens. They are our future!

This is why I enjoy spending my time with these kids who are in my community and getting a chance to show them that there are people out there that do care and want to see them succeed. :)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back