Black Spirituality Religion : Tai Chi in Africa

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Oct 20, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We know that our ancestors in Egypt traveled the world and left evidence of their presence around the world. Did you know that the so-called sub-Saharan Africans traveled as well and left evidence of themselves?

The Asians have a discipline called Tai Chi which is a system of movements designed to connect body, soul and spirit. Actually "Chi" is a Nigerian word from the Igbo nation and isa part of their name for God "Chukwu. Thus the term Chi Ukwu. This correlates to the Yoruba word Ashe.

Source: Path to Priesthood by Baba Akinkugbe Karade, pg 69"

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace Sister River,

Tai Chi is an exhilarating practice. I used to practice it a few years ago and sad to say haven't done it in a while. It is an art form that requires extreme discipline and concentration. I used to do the short form that lasted about 5 minutes and you feel afterwards as if you have been doing a hard workout for an hour but feel rejuvenated and relaxed at the same time. It certainly elevates your mind and soul and best done in the morning close to nature if possible (in a park). It is not easy to do because of the slow and very precise movements. I purchased a dvd a few months ago and have yet to refresh my memory of the moves to get back into it.

3. Onyemobi

Onyemobi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Artist
    Ratings:
    +223
    Actually the Igbo equivalent of "Ashe" is "Ise." And yes, our people did travel all over the world. Take a look at the Olmecs!