Black People : TAALAM ACEY - Spoken Word Poetry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by HODEE, Mar 24, 2014.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I first heard this poet , do spoken word in 2007. I bought some of his CD's and they are enjoyable.

2. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    Sonia Sanchez: Enslaved People

3. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
  4. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    [​IMG]

=====================================================

Taalam Acey

[​IMG]

=================================================
    [​IMG]
    The Destruction of Black Wall Street
    The events that destroyed a thriving Black Oklahoma community 92 years ago were much more than a 'race riot'

http://www.ebony.com/black-history/the-destruction-of-black-wall-street-405#axzz33LOmg7We

It was pure envy, and a vow to put progressive, high achieving African Americans in their place that would cause the demise of the Black Mecca many called “Little Africa”, and its destruction began the way much terrorism, violence and dispossession against African Americans did during that era. A young White woman accused a young Black man of attempted sexual assault, which gave local mobs and White men acting as police just cause to invade the unsuspecting community. On the malevolent and horrifying attack, Linda Christenson writes the following:

"The term “race riot” does not adequately describe the events of May 31—June 1, 1921 in Greenwood... In fact, the term itself implies that both blacks and whites might be equally to blame for the lawlessness and violence. The historical record documents a sustained and murderous assault on black lives and property. This assault was met by a brave but unsuccessful armed defense of their community by some black World War I veterans and others.

During the night and day of the riot, deputized whites killed more than 300 African Americans. They looted and burned to the ground 40 square blocks of 1,265 African American homes, including hospitals, schools, and churches, and destroyed 150 businesses. White deputies and members of the National Guard arrested and detained 6,000 black Tulsans who were released only upon being vouched for by a white employer or other white citizen. Nine thousand African Americans were left homeless and lived in tents well into the winter of 1921."

Recently, the mother of a Palestian activist friend of mine asked me why African Americans don’t fight harder for reparations. It was a difficult question to answer, but my most immediate response centered on the historical erasure of communities like Greenwood and the state-sponsored violence against African Americans that created its expiry. Even after slavery was abolished, any advancements towards the American dream, that Blacks paid most dearly to establish, was met with revulsion and terror, often from those whose legal obligation was to serve and protect. For that a debt is surely owed. Further, when we consider the deaths of those Black Tulsans and the inevitable property loss that followed, we again see one example of many that proves how wealth inequities and disparities became a part of the substance of this nation- inequities and disparities that must be considered before we go blaming Black youth for the catastrophes this nation has endorsed.

And as we consider what has become the new face of terror, we should never forget that Greenwood was bombed from the sky by White local and national law enforcement organizations.

5. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Remember when this brother came on the scene, think he was doing spoken word for some years before this "Market for.... " went public.

The infiltration was all over and nobody really knew how to get a hold of the situation or eliminate it.

This was also around the time (2005) when BET was completely transformed after it's sellout in 2000/2001.

There was a memo that was sent to "Little Brother" that rejected their video from being into circulation because it was "too intelligent" for BET.

That was 7 years ago, so when young black kids say "I don't watch BET, I can't stand that crap", I feel people like Taalam, Chuck D, KRS, etc. might have planted small seeds into a few of the rising orators, to avoid the stereotypical pitfalls designed to entrap the listeners as well.

Respect

6. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    I left BET in 2003. As they were allowing racism to run rampart. I was told about Destee from a sister, that was over there.

7. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043