Black People : Survivor of '63 Ala. church bombing seeks funds

Keita Kenyatta

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The lone survivor of a 1963 Alabama church bombing that killed four black girls said Wednesday she wants millions in compensation for her injuries and won't accept a top congressional award proposed to honor the victims.
Sarah Collins Rudolph, in an interview with The Associated Press, said she feels forgotten 50 years after the blast shocked the nation. Rudolph lost an eye in the Sept. 16, 1963 bombing at Birmingham's Sixteenth Street Baptist Church and says she never got restitution.
"We haven't received anything, and I lost an eye," said Rudolph, who lives north of Birmingham. "They just want to throw a medal at us."
Congress is considering whether to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the four girls who died: 14-year-olds Addie Mae Collins, Carole Robertson and Cynthia Wesley, and 11-year-old Denise McNair. Addie Mae was the sister of Rudolph, who was 12 at the time and among the many who were injured.
The brother of Wesley said he isn't interested in the award either and wants compensation, partly because history didn't even record his sister's name correctly.
U.S. Reps. Terri Sewell, a Democrat, and Spencer Bachus, a Republican, announced a bipartisan effort in January to award the medal to the church bombing victims. The medal represents the highest civilian honor that Congress can bestow. Recipients have ranged from George Washington to civil rights figure Rosa Parks, Pope John Paul II and "Peanuts' creator Charles M. Schulz.
The church bombing shocked the nation and was a galvanizing moment in the civil rights movement.
The five girls were preparing for Sunday services and in a downstairs washroom near the wall where the bomb was planted outside.
Juries convicted three Ku Klux Klansmen in the bombing starting more than a decade later, but Rudolph said she still hasn't gotten justice like other crime victims who receive restitution payments.
"My sister was killed and I lost my eye. Why should I be any different?" she said.
Rudolph said she wants compensation "in the millions" for her injuries and the death of Addie Mae, but she hasn't settled on an exact amount.
Fate Morris said he also will refuse the medal and wants compensation like Rudolph for the death of his sister, typically referred to as Cynthia Wesley. Morris said her real name was Cynthia Morris, and no medal will replace the mistake.
"It's a smoke screen to shut us up and make us go away so we'll never be heard from again," Morris told AP.
Morris said his sister was staying with a family named "Wesley" at the time of the bombing to get into a good school, but she still came back to the Morris household on weekends. Autho

http://news.yahoo.com/survivor-63-ala-church-bombing-seeks-funds-192504908.html

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Without a doubt, pay them:

Stephanie Engle, an activist who is publicizing the families' push for compensation, said victims of the bombing deserve reparation just like Japanese Americans who received payments through a $1.6 billion program decades after being held in internment camps during World War II.

9ea48fef1680ad0c2e0f6a706700d55f.jpg

Associated Press/Jay Reeves - Sarah Collins Rudolph, the lone survivor of a 1963 church bombing, and Fate Morris, whose sister died in the blast, discuss their desire for compensation from the bombing during an interview in Birmingham, Ala., on Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Rudolph was badly injured in the bombing, which killed sister Addie Mae Collins, and Morris said he is still haunted by memories of digging through the church rubble. The two say they will turn down a proposed Congressional Gold Medal honoring the victims. (AP Photo/Jay Reeves)

Peace In,

I just wonder what steps they took towards this in the last 50 years.

And I can understand how in the horrific after-math and grieving they probably didn't look at the death certificate; but it wasn't addressed until "decades later."

But of all the CRM documentaries and anniversaries of the bombing over the years, I can't help but wonder why they didn't address her correct name sooner....or if they did, what transpired.

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Without a doubt, pay them:

....Morris said his sister was staying with a family named "Wesley" at the time of the bombing to get into a good school, but she still came back to the Morris household on weekends. Authorities mistakenly recorded her last name as "Wesley" and never fixed the error, he said, until the family sought an amended death certificate decades later....

I just wonder what steps they took towards this in the last 50 years.

And I can understand how in the horrific after-math and grieving they probably didn't look at the death certificate; but it wasn't addressed until "decades later."

But of all the CRM documentaries and anniversaries of the bombing over the years, I can't help but wonder why they didn't address her correct name sooner....or if they did, what transpired.

My thoughts exactly, where you been, what you been doing, why so late with this; but as they say, its never too late... know what I'm sayin.

Peace In,

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back