Black People : Surviving, All-Black Towns

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Knowledge Seed, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I'm looking for information on as many of the still-existing majority Black towns that were formed around the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century as possible.

So far I have:
    Florida
    Eatonville

Oklahoma
    Boley
    Clearview
    Grayson
    Langston
    Red Bird
    Rentiesville
    Summit
    Taft
    Tatums
    Tullahassee
    Vernon

North Carolina
    Taylortown

Are there any other historically - and presently - majority-Black towns that I am missing?

What is the history of these places?

Why are they declining?

2. spiritual eyes46

spiritual eyes46 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +59
    they are declining because of deep seeded racism,poverty and oppression most have moved on looking for better in hopes of finding change and acceptance,some without the means of family,help or support remain for it's the only home they know and they are too old or sick to move

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Boley, Oklahoma.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boley,_Oklahoma

See reasons for decline. Failure of agricultural production. Bankruptcy of railroad of which township was based. Great Depression and decline of Black business. Great Migration and migration of families westward.

My great grandparents were Creek freedmen and among Boley's founders. Alot of my family moved to Tulsa, Stroud, Guthrie and OKC after statehood because they were forced off lands allotted under Dawes Act, except one branch which still owns acreage in Stroud.

My family is able to prove membership and is registered with Muskogee Creek Nation due to the fact they kept property in Striud within the family.

In other Black townships in Oklahoma our people were effectively disenfranchised and unable to sustain a living as farmers and shopkeepers. Many of the Black towns in California were also founded or occupied by Blacks who were farm laborers or farmers who owned smaller or larger tracts of land but over time, as farming economy declined, they moved from rural to urban populations.

A lot of Black towns also benefitted from oil production. Drilling. Refinement. Distribution. This declined in OK, so this is also why many moved to central California. My family included. From the cotton fields to the oil fields.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    See Allensworth and the controversy about the Vocational school.

http://www.friendsofallensworth.com/allensworth/allensworth_history.html

5. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
    i'm so happy to hear that you know your family roots,some black people from that era are embrassed or still too angry to discuss or past to their children,but i believe that history should be told of one's family and the struggle so that the children will not become lazy and take things for granted,as many of our youth today,and also for the purpose of not inbreeding ......so you will know the names of your family members some i know personally said they will have to date outside their race not because they want too,but because they don't want to find out later there husband is there cousin,did you read the article about the black lady that end up marrying and having 13 children by her father only when he died family members started speaking about it and it was confirmed,,,she never knew him but he knew she was his daughter from her last name he left when she was a baby....now that's sick and sad,oh her mother had past when she was 8 and she was raised by different family members and everyone knew he was her father when she met and married him at 16,she is in her 60's now, and a aunt said she didn't know how to tell her llike wow but u tell her when he dies

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I did not hear about this Black woman but yes it's sick that no family member said anything when she started dating him.

So, yes it's always good to know one's roots. I am fortunate to have had a Dad and other family members who kept record of family history and kept stories and memories of Elders and Ancestors alive, and I share this as much as I can when I have a good talk with my now-grown Daughter. It helps having other family members who are published authors and artists who do exhibits on our Bloodlines, or musicians such as Don Cherry who passed our traditions through song.

http://toniscott.com/iweb/toniscott.com/TONI_SCOTT.html

http://www.danielakart.com/bio_scott.html

7. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
  8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  9. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59
    yes it does help and makes a big difference in one's life for those whom don't have or rather never met their parents,grandparents etc,the history will have to start with the present for try as they may there will always be that void of not knowing and it all depends sometimes not knowing is best as well,only because they may come from a family not worth speaking about and nothing too be proud of, i always say say those that do have family and know the meaning of family,tell them everyday that you love them for you are truely blessed

10. spiritual eyes46

Ratings:
    +59