Black People Politics : Supreme Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law, strikes down rest

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Another fine example of arbitrary law and this system of so-called jurisprudence.

Supreme Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law, strikes down rest

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough anti-illegal immigration law in a 5-3 decision on Monday that allows police officers to ask about immigration status during stops. That part of the law, which never went into effect because of court challenges, will now immediately be enforced in Arizona. Other parts of the law, including a provision that made it a state crime for illegal immigrants to seek work, will remain blocked, as the justices affirmed the federal government's supremacy over immigration policy...

But the liberal justices showed much more hesitation over the parts of the law that made federal immigration crimes into state crimes, which have all now been struck down. Sotomayor singled out the state law against illegal immigrants seeking work, noting that Congress had explicitly rejected a similar law in their immigration legislation, instead choosing to target employers who hire unauthorized workers.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...y-part-arizona-immigration-law-141927514.html

[​IMG]
    Demonstrators stand outside the Supreme Court in Washington, Monday, June 25, 2012. (Evan Vucci/AP)

Peace In,

2. Mercyless1803

Mercyless1803 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    I'm against the law because this will give police officers the authority to just single out minorities drivers based on their own prejudice. I will bet all my money most of the immigrants that will be asked about their immigrant status will be minorities. (Africans, Mexicans, Asians) How many Italian or European immigrants will be harassed (oh should i use a better term ? ha! ) Since this is Arizona we all know these Arizona redneck cops will just be mostly asking Mexican immigrants about their status.

3. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

I agree with you, Mercyless1803. I live in Phoenix, and please believe that in no time at all, there will be additional suits filed *because* of Arpaio's sheriff's office (how the deputies buck wild a bit when it comes to stops and arrests).

Heavy Mexican (Spanish speaker's) accents draws the attention of Arpaio's deputies. Irish, German, Australians, eastern europeans, Ethiopians, 'lost boys'--because they are either white or black, they aren't *auto-targeted* (profiled) by Maricopa sheriff's deputies the way heavily accented brown and black native spanish speakers are.

After today's decision, the LEGAL Hispanics here will have a decision to make:

"Do I (and my kids) carry our immigration documents around with us everywhere--and risk being jacked for our papers by illegals? Or do we resign ourselves to maybe being arrested and held for a few hours (over and over again), because we don't dare tote our papers everywhere?"

SMH. I don't doubt that this surviving part of SB 1070 will eventually be struck down.

One Love, and PEACE

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... This is a major victory for the President, and big disappointment for Romney and Brewer. The sad thing is, it could have been totally rejected.

Peace In,