Black People : Supreme Court Decision

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Bruce, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Bruce

Bruce Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm a black person with an undergraduate degree considering a career in Law... do I really want to enroll in a law school where I'll be looked at as someone who got in just because I'm black or the criteria for me was lower than it is for everyone else. Do I want that stigma? Will law firms looking for newly barred attorneys put my resume in the garbage because I went to a law school with weaker standards for admission when it came to me. All things considered The University of Michigan Law School ain't looking too good.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Hi Bruce and welcome!

Why are you assuming that affirmative action translates into lower criteria, and weaker standards? What is the source of your information, please? And I'm curious, why do you pose this scenario with "IF I'm a black person..."?

Peace!

3. Bruce

Bruce Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    affirmative Action/college admittance

Thanks for the comment. I have been in the position to see first hand how companies look at where a black applicant went to school and determine if that student was admitted based on race. I agree that diversity is to the benefit of a schools total education picture. However, black student who are admitted under affirmative action programs (especially at top 20 schools) are stigmatized by fellow students, and faculty. My question is why would someone want to go through that if they are qualified to go anywhere and don't have to be admitted through affirmative action. Lower standards is not what affirmative action "is", but that is what it "means" to those who don't understand. Unfortunately the majority of those people are the ones who own the companies who do the hiring, or the admissions officers who are only interested in numbers not the quality of the numbers. I open with "If I'm Black..." just as an intro to the conversation. I could have said Native American or Latino as well.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Re: affirmative Action/college admittance

I've been in the position to see first hand how Universities use criteria to exclude Black applicants from being admitted. I also think that we especially need to be careful in how we think and explain how Blacks are admitted to colleges and universities. If any one of them admits any student solely based on their race, it's illegal and it's wrong.

Because racism is alive and practiced daily in America and not every Black person that lives in America will escape the effects or feel its impact when exposed to it! Just because you think you're qualified doesn't mean you'll be given opportunities. In a perfect world, maybe, but we're not living in a world like that.

This may be true, however, what do you suggest that we do--throw the baby out with the bath water? Wouldn't you much rather have laws in place to ensure your protection from discrimination and racism as opposed to relying on other people's "good faith" that they will do the right thing as far as you're concerned? Who wants to be just a legend in their own mind?

Peace!