Black People : Support in supporting our own

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Coach707, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys I want to know how can we make a collective effort to support our black businesses. I know some of you may already, but what are some of the things that can be done to make more black people give back to their communities through the black business.

In Jewish communities, it is said that a dollar touches an average of 12 Jewish hands before it leaves thier community. On average, how can do we compare? How can it get better?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    every dollar that enters the black community immediately exits to some other group.
    that is why they have retail outlets set up right in the hood.
    every hip hop video depicts black people giving their money to white people.

this is a large part of why we are poor.
    black people have a lot of cash. we give it all away.
    if Bill Gates gave away all his money, he would be poor too.

3. Coach707

Ratings:
    +1
    Good points Brotha James, but what do you think we could do to make our black businesses more appealing to black people. Lets face it, we cant compete with the large corporations such as Wal-Mart and McDonalds. Also, it seems as if its inevitable that we are going to consume, so since saving and investing is out of the thoughts of some, how can we make our black businesses stronger?

One of my concerns is quality of service. Lets be honest, sometimes you wont get the best customer service possible in a black business!

With that being said, should we feel obligated to support black businesses anyway?

4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Lower the prices ! In alot of urban communities there are black owned businesses but their prices are always higher than the asians,arabs,and whites!
    When I go to the beauty supply house where the asians have barretts, they are 2 for a dollar, with the black owned beauty supplies they are 1.50 a pack!
    Alot of people watch their pennies and are on fixed incomes and cannot afford that extra 50 cents for one pack when you can get two for a dollar!
    Granted their prices are higher because they have to make back what they put in to keep it going and the other races recieve loans and grants to get theirs, but as a consumer what is more appealing? Lower prices and quality of service!

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    am i the only one to think it strange that there's chinese food on every corner in the hood but i have to go down town in order to get soul food?
    there's a black market right there.

6. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, I feel we should feel OBLIGATED to support our own. This is a no-brainer to me!! You might not get the best service or prices, but that will adjust itself in time. As it is, many of these stores and businesses fold before they can adjust anything. If the service is poor or prices way too high, then you should speak to the owner in a respectful way about that. If enough of us did that, things would change after a while.

We are way too shortsighted with this. Black businesses in our surroundings also benefit us psychologically. They are definitely a boost to my morale because they make me feel good that my own folks are operating that business. They also give me a way to spend my money without it going to the very same white man that we then turn around and bash 24-7-365. Also, the youth in our communities can see they have alternatives to crime and working for the white man if they can see right in front of them that Blacks can operate successful businesses.

Also from mingling with other groups of Blacks, I know for a fact that African and Caribbean Blacks in this country will definitely support their own any time over buying from AAs, whites, or asians if possible. I know right now that if I opened a business, the Africans in the area would support me much moreso than my own ethnic group as long as there is no other African selling the same item. I know this because this has actually happened.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peae,

not an excuse, but most black businesses are charged higher rent thus the higher prices. In my area anyway that is the cause!

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Yes!
    They know where the money is and they stick together to get it!
    Every dunken donoughts is owned by indians,most beauty supply houses,nail shops is asians! Most gas stations and liqour stores are on every corner and owned by arabs!
    They make money in the hood but you best believe they don't live their!
    Their is a soul food restaurant in my area which is DUSTIES! They have a buffet style like old country buffet! Some of the best soul food you ever want to eat! Black owned and operated and it's 10-12 bucks for all you can eat!

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I just have to add that our mindset, our general thinking about money is on the kindergarden level as reflected by some of the comments here. When it comes to money, we simply cannot compete if this level of thinking is the best we can do.

MONEY = POWER in today's world. It doesn't matter how good our music is, how much style we have, how we excel in sports, how illustrious our history is, how spiritual we are or what good people we are IF we don't understand money. I'm serious. A lot of us need to stop reading these history books and start reading finance and economic books.How many of these types of books do you have on your bookshelf? How many articles do you read on the internet or anywhere about economics and finance? How many threads here pertain to how Black folks can use money effectively? And we wonder how it is that other groups, including other Black groups can just zoom right past AAs!!!

Now, y'all can jump at me all you want, but somebody's got to keep it real here.

10. Coach707

Ratings:
    +1
    I totally agree Sista Riada! I think that that is the part of the movement that has been lost. Out ancestors realized that in order to preserve their families for generations over they needed to thrive economically. Today there are so many obstacles that stand in the way of black people when it comes to capital.

I would love to get futher insight, as well as provide info on how we can start to use our money more effectively.