Black Spirituality Religion : SUNDAY AND THE SUNGOD

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by ibrahim, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Is there any connection between the two?
    HOw did sunday come about?
    What is the sungod and which people worship him.
    Was sunday a day used to worship the sungod?

Any answers?

2. ibrahim

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    knock Knock...anybody there?

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I'm here:wave:

Well, according to the knowledge I've acquired: Sunday was a day to worship the Lord. Sun worshipping 'pagans' were permitted to worship with the Christians. I guess in order to boost the members of the church(Roman Catholic). I may get strangled for my guesstimations, but I don't directly quote others work, rather phrase it my way, as learned. The seven days of the week were inspired by ancient 'gods'.

4. ibrahim

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Spicybrown, thank you so much for your contribution.
    Did the sun worshipping "pagans" worship in the same vicinity as the christain and why did they have to worship on the same day as the christian. and why did/do the christians have to worship on a sun-day which was a day meant for sun worshipping "pagans".

I heard this "pastor", preaching by the roadside say. sunday was a day used to worship the sun god.

Hmmmm, anymore answers?

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Sun's Day
    Moon's Day
    Mars' Day
    Mercury's Day
    Jupiter's Day
    Venus' Day
    Saturn's Day

These are the days of the week according to the Julian and Gregorian calendars.

The early Christian church was rooted in paganism and the Roman church incorporated many of these elements in recognition of the ancient roman system of worship.

6. ibrahim

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thank you brother omo.. for the insight..
    I really appreciate it.

7. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    ^5 omo...The days of the week were named after the Sun, Moon, and planets of the solar system and their corresponding mythological gods. For example, Sunday is derived from “the Sun’s Day”; Monday from “the Moon’s Day”; Tuesday from “Tiu’s Day,” the pagan god of war corresponding to the planet Mars; Wednesday from “Wotan’s Day,” the pagan king of the gods corresponding to the planet Mercury; Thursday from “Thor’s Day,” the god of thunder corresponding to Jupiter; Friday from “Freya’s Day,” the goddess of peace corresponding to Venus; and Saturday from “Saturn’s Day,” the ancient Roman god of time...

8. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Also, the original names of July and August were Quintilis and Sextilis. “Quintilis” means “fifth month” in Latin, and “Sextilis" means “sixth month.” July was the fifth month because the New Year began in March, at the time of the Vernal Equinox. In this natural order the months September, October, November and December – or the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th months – are synchronized, both in name and number. The Roman Emperors Julius and Augustus Caesar renamed the fifth and sixth months “Julio” and “Augustus,” which became July and August and the 7th and 8th months when the Gregorian Calendar was adopted in 1582...

9. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Significance of Time.

It is rumored that the ruling party during this time added two extra months to the calendar year, and a few extra hours to the day in order to extend their rule. Perhaps the add-ons were January and February. JMO

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Because everyone benefits from sunlight there were many people who worshipped some sort of sungod. Ra and Horus of the Egyptians, Mithra of the Hindus. Mithra, whose worship predates Jesus by hundreds of years, was introduced into the Mediterranian area as Mithraism about the same time the early christians were formulating their theology so the two systems "grew up together."

For a fuller explanation of the connections between church times and pagan times be sure to read brotha Aqil's thread "The Origins of the Virgin Birth."