Black Sports : Sugar Shane Mosley

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by kente417mojo, Mar 15, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Did anyone see his fight against Winky Wright on Saturday night? Shane didn't look like himself. Actually, he hasn't looked like himself the last few fights . What's up with him? Do you think he should hang it up?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You know I thought Shane Mosley would lose this fight, and he did. I'm only sad that I didn't bet on it....I'd have some money now. :laugh: There were two things at work here. (1) Winky Wright, a fighter I've watched for years, is better than people gave him credit for. (2) Mosley is fighting out of his weight class. Mosley is NOT a Jr. middleweight, nor is he a welterweight. Shane Mosley is a lightweight, at most he is a jr. welterweight.

At lightweight Sugar Shane was a fantastic fighter...power & speed. However, unlike other great fighters, he has not been able to carry either as he moved up in weight. Furthermore, he doesn't stay in 1 division long enough, nor fight often enough to adjust to the differences in weight.I thought he was taking too big of a leap when he fought Oscar dela Hoya at welterweight; however, his style made this a good match. He should not have left this division though. He left the welterweight division not because he outgrew it, but because he couldn't beat Vernon Forrest (another fighter I predicted he would lose to). It is a mistake to move up to a higher weight class when you lose, because fighters only get bigger & stronger.

In addition to everything else I identified, there is another problem with Shane...he has a bad corner. If Mosley still wants to box, then he needs to get rid of his trainers....in particularly his father. I don't say this lightly, but Jack Mosley needs to go, if Shane is going to return to the top. It was extremely bad advice to have Mosley think he was the bigger puncher in this fight (Winky Wright was the bigger, stronger man). It was also bad advice to have Mosley think he could slug with a bigger man. In addition, Jack Mosley never lets Shane know he is behind in a fight, and that he needs to try something different (he has done this against dela Hoya, Forrest, and Wright). He also has his son believing that he can compete where he can't. Even though Shane is getting older, he can still recapture what he was, but he needs to make some big changes to do so.............and by all means don't move up to middleweight. :lol:

3. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey panafrica...looks like Shane saw it the way you did. He kicked pops to the curb after that loss. What do you think about that? I guess he wants to continue fighting and he's trying to clean house so to speak. Do you think he can rebound and regain his titles? Should he move back down in weight? :coffee:

4. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I knew Winky Wright was going to win. I've seen him fight before and he's a good solid fighter. Not only is he a good boxer, but he's bigger and stronger than Shane. Shane needs to step his game up before people start to forget about him.

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, I agree SayWord. I think that maybe if he moves back down in weight, he might be better. I mean, against Winky Wright he never even hurt him and his speed was not there. Let's not even speak of the Vernon Forest fights. I agree that his father might be better off doing something else though. There is obviously something that's not working in the corner as panafrica stated. I think Shane's a good fighter, but he's gonna have to get past his last few performances if he wants to get back to his old self.

On another note, I can't wait to see the Corey Sanders/ Vitaly Klitchko fight.
    Do you guys think Corey Sanders got lucky against Vladamir?

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Shane is getting older, but I think we would have success if he moved down in weight; however, I don't think he'll do that. I don't really care about the Sanders/Klitschko fight, but I will be watching. ;) I think Vitaly will win, because Sanders doesn't have good stamina, but you never know.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    About Jack Mosley: The best trainers are able to give their fighters an accurate accessment of their fighters abilities & opponents weaknesses. They are able to properly evalute a fight, and give their fighters appropriate advice. I think an excellent example of this is Angelo Dundee, in the legendary 1981 fight between Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearn. Leonard was down in the fight, and in danger of losing a decision. Dundee realizing this let Leonard know in the 12th round that he had to do something different or he was going to lose. Dundee put a sense of urgency in his fighter, and Leonard responded by stepping up his "game" and he knocked out Hearns 2 rounds later. Again this is what the best trainers do, and it is what Jack Mosley couldn't do for his son, which is why he had to go.

About Corie Sanders: No his victory over Wlad Klitschko was not a fluke. Sanders has always been a talented fighter, he has boxing skills, quick hands, and power. What he doesn't have is a good chin, and good stamina. Corie Sanders is what I like to call a "I'll get you, if you don't get me 1st fighter". If you don't have a good chin, then Sanders is going to knock you out early. Apparently Wlad Klitschko didn't have a good have a good chin, and if you don't a fighter like Corie Sanders will expose you. Sanders does tire quickly though and if you can take him past the 6th round, he can be knocked out (as he was by Hasim Rahman about 5 years ago). Unfortunately for Sanders, I think Vitali Klitschko will take him where he doesn't want to be (past the 6th). Vitali has a better chin than his brother, although Wlad is the better overall fighter. Vitali is also taller, and Sanders will have problems reaching him. Vitali by TKO in the 6,7, or 8th is my official prediction.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    bringing it back

It looks like Shane Mosley took my advice and is moving down in weight:

http://www.boxingtalk.net/pages/free2020.htm

9. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Best decision he's made in a while. Hopefully he'll stop getting his @ss kicked now.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i knew he would and it was a wise choice to make , bet he win some fights now !