Black People : Subway hero offered job at JFK

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    [​IMG]

The subway hero who saved a baby in a stroller after it was was swept by a strong wind onto an elevated subway track in Brooklyn was reunited with the family on Wednesday.
    Delroy Simmonds was on his way to a job interview at about 1 p.m. Tuesday when a powerful blast of air carried the stroller from the elevated track onto the J train platform at Van Siclen Avenue. The baby and stroller both landed on the tracks.
    Simmonds immediately jumped onto the tracks, rescuing the baby before the next train came into the station.
    He visited the boy and his mother Wednesday at Brookdale Hospital, where the child was being treated for a small head injury.
    Simmonds said the mother thanked him, and he was happy to see the child is doing well.
    Simmonds shrugged off his new status, pointing out that he is a father and would expect anyone else to do the same for his child.
    "I don't really feel like much of a hero," he said. "I didn't really think, I just reacted."
    The baby is expected to be OK.

Simmonds missed his job interview but says he was offered a job as a maintenance worker at Kennedy Airport on Wednesday.

http://thegrio.com/2012/06/28/subway-hero-offered-job-at-jfk/

2. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    to me this brother is a legitimate hero. bloomberg ought to reach in his pocket and give him some money.

3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I think he saved a mexican baby. The mother is obviously not used to riding the J train, because every woman I've seen on that platform holds on to the baby carriage wind or no wind because it's narrow.
    [​IMG]

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...way-tracks-gig-a-year-a-job-article-1.1103198

Brother Delroy was "rewarded" with $9.50hr maintenance job at JFK airport. I agree with JFP someone else needs to step up. If this guy was willing to risk his life for free, imagine his dedication for pay. He's the type of guy who will give you his all. This brother did what all brother warriors do, they don't wait for action, they leap to action.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    they always find a way to give celebrities some "metal of freedom" and a 50k honorarium.
    why not this brother?

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Very often companies, celebrities and/or business people DO give money in cases like this....not always made PUBLIC.

....Back in '07, the Black NY man who laid on top of a guy who'd had a seizure and fallen onto the tracks received all kinds of "rewards/awards" for his bravery....including $10,000 from Donald Trump.

But then, whenever anyone does something "HEROIC" and "LIFE-SAVING," should that automatically qualify them for MONETARY GAIN? Should that person CAPITALIZE on an "ACT OF GOODNESS?"

6. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I hear where you're going with this. If you saved somebody's life, one IMO should be able to capitalize on an "act of goodness". IMO heroic and life and saving SHOULD automatically qualify them for something if not monetary gain.

God knows we reward people for doing bad stuff all too often.

Of course I get your point, you don't want people just doing crazy stuff for money (which is something we already do anyways), but if someone helps save a life especially where you could have lost your own, I think should not only be appreciated but rewarded.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

I see this all the time, not the jumping on the tracks part, but some women in general, mainly latino on the platforms talking and not paying attention to their kids. Their kids walking around and playing by the edge of of the platform and when that train comes there is a bug gust of wind that could shake a little child over the edge easily. More often than not, it's not the parent that even see's the child first, it's a complete stranger, such as myself sometimes that alerts them to the fact that their child is too close to the edge, or is walking down the platform and the parent thinks that the child is still standing behind them, as they look down around there legs @ where they thought the child was as if they just woke up out of a coma..:baby: sometimes everyone on the platform is watching and shaking their heads at the mother and looking around at other people to see whoelse see's her neglecting her child.

The brother in this case did a great thing, saving the baby of course and i'm sure he didn't do it for any reward. i wonder who his interview was with before the incident took place for him to accept a maintenance job @ $9.50 an hour. Yes, it seems cheap and disrespectful to the guy, but he ain't complaining....

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :11100: yes!

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I see this all the time too...and yes, it's mostly Latino/Hispanic mothers/fathers....not just at train stations but EVERYWHERE. --- They just don't appear all that aware and guarded about their children...at the store, walking down the street, parking lots, etc..

One day as I was leaving the grocery store, I saw this Mexican mother get out of her car with several small children....She was pushing a baby in a stroller and 2 other children were with her.----One of the children, a TODDLER ran right out into the lane in front of the store.---As I watched all of this, I just KNEW that child was gonna make a run for it when he got out of the car!.....I ran out, grabbed the child and took him to the mother..who was trying to thank me in Spanish.....But, I wanted to scream at her, "YOU SHOULDA BEEN WATCHING YOUR CHILD!....YOU SHOULDA HAD HIM BY HIS HAND!" :hammer:

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Do you think the child was maybe looking for the boarder??

don't crucify me ya'll, just a joke....lol