Black Parenting : Studying the Effects of Playing Violent Video Games

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
Shooting in the Dark

12GAME-articleLarge.jpg

The young men who opened fire at
Columbine High School, at the movie theater in Aurora, Colo., and in other massacres had this in common: they were video gamers who seemed to be acting out some dark digital fantasy. It was as if all that exposure to computerized violence gave them the idea to go on a rampage — or at least fueled their urges.

But did it really?

Social scientists have been studying and debating the effects of media violence on behavior since the 1950s, and video games in particular since the 1980s. The issue is especially relevant today, because the games are more realistic and bloodier than ever, and because most American boys play them at some point. Girls play at lower rates and are significantly less likely to play violent games.

A burst of new research has begun to clarify what can and cannot be said about the effects of violent gaming. Playing the games can and does stir hostile urges and mildly aggressive behavior in the short term. Moreover, youngsters who develop a gaming habit can become slightly more aggressive — as measured by clashes with peers, for instance — at least over a period of a year or two.

Read more

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/s...ects-of-playing-violent-video-games.html?_r=0

I played very violent video games growing up, but my parents always kept things in check. Not that I was acting any of the violence out, but I was supervised and couldn't have any of the games unless they knew that I understood, it was all just a game.

I played the absolute bloodiest, mind blowing ish with my bros and uncles all of the time. :lol: Still do every now and again.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back