Black People : Study: It helps to have a 'white' name

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Regina, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    not ashame of whom i be
    yet studies seem to thee
    forth da struggle continue

we shell ova come some day !

3. UbZoRbShUn

UbZoRbShUn Well-Known Member MEMBER

-----------
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah i saw this on the news the other day

**** shame cause yo name don't "sound white" u can't get a job......This has been going on for who knows how long. They just now wanna shed the light cause they ***** been busted......Wondering bout all the jobs I applied for and never got a call back on other than "We'll keep your resume on file for 6 months" which translates to "we threw yo **** in the trash can BonQuisha"...

One

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    many job do toss it
    and once they see the name u been ****
    yes it's been happening for far too long
    open case !

5. UbZoRbShUn

UbZoRbShUn Well-Known Member MEMBER

-----------
    Ratings:
    +1
    ahhh hell nawl

now that's some **** for real. just cause u ain't in the right neighborhood you may have tendacies huh? This mess has to stop they may as well have robots to do the jobs....but then what if the robot is made by a black company with the wrong address, would that be a double slap?

One

6. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    this should be nothing new to us. there was also recent study that showed that blacks are seen more as criminals than whites.
    two universities did a visual study and told participants to shoot the person with the gun. more times than not, the black men were shot at even when they weren't holding weapons. and even more, black participants responsed similiarly to the white participants.

anyway, i still won't be naming my children, brett, emily, and such. i actually look for more ethnic sounding names but nothing to exotic.

7. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    the problem is you don't read and understand what i write.

again, why do i waste my time with you. :middle finger:

8. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most Blacks take the quiet road because they don't want to be deemed a "troublemaker". Some Blacks feel the need to not make Caucasians uncomfortable. I don't hesitate to educate Caucasians when given the chance, whether they listen or not.

We are being lynched now, economically. I think I probably write so many letters to the editors of the Atlanta paper that they say, "Oh no, not her again!"

Each generation should build on the foundation the previous generation created. If we don't, our house is destined to fall.

9. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    laughing at regina. what out gurl! i seem to wear that troublemaker tag quit a bit. "here's come trouble" is what i sometimes here as i approach. but i tell them, don't start none, won't be none.

i too, have been known to write them letters to the editor, make calls to my local radio and television stations, etc and start a few boycotts.

someone once told me that maybe as i get older i will choose my battles. i told her that i hope that i can fight as many as i can. afterall, i wouldn't be fighting so hard if others would have done so before me. ;)

back to the name topic though. we have had a history of creating unique names, sometimes they are hard to pronounce or spell. does that make it right to discriminate on that basis? NO! but i think white folx also do it subconsciously. afterall, it's been said that they hire or look for people like them. so we might not even be able to get a foot in the door, let alone, a chance to interview for the job.

well, i do know one person whose name didn't work against her - condolezza rice. :laughing:

10. ms62special

ms62special New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Until we realize like all other nationalities, that going into business, working for a business, and having a business, all and must start coming from our own. We are still depending on the white corporate world to supply us with the necessities of our life, yet we know and experience the fact that they don't want us in their workplace, we experience hostility, degradation, humilitation and disrespect. Still we don't get it. Mexican's don't have to worry about the language barrier's, as do any other minority, if they don't like the condition's they can quit and work for people of their own nationalities, we all have minorities other than African American's running affluent businesses in our neighborhoods and we support these businesses with our money, no questions asked. We try to build our own franchises and it is our own people who mind our business and make it a point to worry about their money helping us get to the top. All of these entertainers still making money for the white man instead of branching out in business for us, Micheal Jordan and Hanes, Micheal Jackson, all of these rap artist promoting and selling for the white man. Until we get it, it will always matter the way we enunciate words, wear our hair, the way we dress. We want them to provide for us under their rules because we want to work for them, we want to spend our money to them and for them. All other nationalites are branching out and working for themselves and their people but us, they can dress the way they want to dress, talk the way they want to talk, and be who they are. The solution is simple, like FUBU stands for, FOR US BY US, one nation under god, until we get, and oh yeal how many of us did actually vote.:confused: