Black Spirituality Religion : Study Finds, Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by RAPTOR, Aug 17, 2015.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Young children who are exposed to religion have a hard time differentiating between fact and fiction,
    according to a new study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science.

Researchers presented 5- and 6-year-old children from both public and parochial schools with three
    different types of stories -- religious, fantastical and realistic –- in an effort to gauge how well they
    could identify narratives with impossible elements as fictional.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/children-religion-fact-fiction_n_5607009.html

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :10500: is that a fact? ha ha

3. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi RAPTOR, Hee hee. Well Of course! Cognitive Science? They are only plugged into their own so called cognitive thought and therefore, cannot relate to that which is not ameba. Which kind of speaks to their belief that God is not the ultimate being of science, thus, making their own god, an ameba, the beginning of their own lives as they see it. Therefore children who are exposed to religion have a wider plane of existence on many different levels.

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Be that as it may, what of the study?
    If there are flaws in their study, I'd
    look forward to you sharing what
    you've discovered...

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    :bs:

6. willa

willa Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +299
    I read the study and it was determined that even though the secular kids seemed to look at things as real or not real according to one version of study, there was still another which determined that even the secular kids thought that a divine power was "plausible".

I talked with a six year old who went to Disney Land and he told me that Micky Mouse is real. "I know because I saw him." Our discussion continued because I want him to be aware that there are things you can see and hear, that are actually made up by people. I didn't want him to be taken advantage of somewhere in the future. He still likes the character, Mickey Mouse.

7. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Something being -fake- and something -not existing- are two similar but complexly different concepts.

For instance, if I eat artificial butter... does the butter no longer exist after I determine it was not really butter, but an imitation... even though I ate it?

Another example, fake money... does fake money create the idea that real money doesn't exist?

Mickey mouse was a real creation, thus it existed.
    To say Mickey Mouse never existed would mean that nobody created it.

Real is relative.

If I write a derivation to a complex equation on a chalkboard, show one of my friends, and come back the next day to show my other friends to find the teacher had cleaned the board, unless I can recreate it did it ever really happen?

Only my one friend knows, and they may begin to second guess it if I am unable to repeat the event.

Point is, how something can be related to others makes it seem real depending on how convincing the material is at the time.

I have heard people running from DARK MAN, almost breaking their necks, only to find out it was their own shadow casting off the wall.

Or the stories of people being dared to spend the night in a grave yard, only to have a heart attack because they heard some noises and began to run out of the cemetery and something grabbed their shirt... it got snagged on a tree limb.

The mind is an awfully wondrous thing

I don't think the title of the clip below is valid, replace the term -dumb- with -more imaginative- would be better...

But with all of this said, grown folks have their moments too

Who believes that zombies exist like this?

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    i'd like to see any living person that has not been exposed to religion ... let alone children

isn't it sort of everywhere ... even on the money we teach babies to count

on the surface it seems an impossible task to present or find such people

let alone conduct a serious study using them

but obviously it is doable ... :look:

:heart:

Destee

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Haha, true.

10. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    To follow up on the above posts...

When so called "non-religious" people exclaim "G-da**" or "Jesus Christ" as an expletive, where are they getting this from and why?

Could never really understand why "Jesus Christ" was an expletive.

On the other hand, if someone were to spazz out because they were told "God Bless You", what does that say?

Being that this was a cop (the name's McCloud) kind of makes this a wash, but still.

Religion does seem to confuse some folks, which is why it isn't for everyone, so maybe it is time to put some sort of age limit on it until we as adults can sort it out first.

That Jesus Camp documentary was something of an eye opener

Child from Jesus Camp years later:

Both have elements of belief within them

Religion has a belief in legendary personas
    Science has a belief system which is label theoretical science (belief in life on other planets, time/dimensional travel, fire was discovered 100,000 years ago, etc)

Just hope the religious zealots don't learn about rocket science and figure out a way to destroy anyone that doesn't share their same thinking, or vice versa.

Keep the zealots away from dangerous technology and the dangerous ideologies away from the geek squad.
    Think we will be ok