Study: Educated Men Make Better Fathers

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by dustyelbow, Jun 21, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Study: Educated Men Make Better Fathers June 1, 2006 9:37AM

Education was a key factor in all aspects of fatherhood, Martinez said. About half of the men without a high-school education have fathered a child outside of marriage compared to just 6 percent of college graduates.

"Education is very important," said report co-author Gladys Martinez, a demographer at the National Center for Health Statistics, part of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Men with higher education wait longer to get married and have children -- so they are more prepared," she said.

The report, Fertility, Contraception, and Fatherhood: Data on Men and Women From Cycle 6 of the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth, was released by the CDC on May 31.

"We have been collecting data on women since 1973," Martinez said. "In 2002, we decided to include men to round out the picture," she added.

The report includes data on over 7,600 women and nearly 5,000 men, ages 15 to 44. The data were collected through interviews done between March 2002 and March 2003.

Martinez's team found that 28 million men in the United States have children less than 19 years of age, and three-quarters of those men live with their children.

"As you would suspect, because the father lives with their children, he is more likely to engage in activities with the children. Eighty-one percent play with their kids daily, and 74 percent ate with their kids," she added.

Education was a key factor in all aspects of fatherhood, Martinez said. About half of the men without a high-school education have fathered a child outside of marriage compared to just 6 percent of college graduates.

The main predictor of a father's involvement with his children was his level of education, Martinez said. "Those with higher levels of education report higher levels of activity with their children," she said.

Among fathers who don't live with their children, some 74 percent had contact with their children during the past year, Martinez noted. "About half of these guys reported having activities with their children in the past four weeks," she said.

In addition, among fathers who live apart from their children, 85 percent of fathers with higher incomes contributed to their children's support on a regular basis, compared with 64 percent of fathers with income below the poverty level.

Moreover, the researchers found that among men and women who had children but were not married, 18 percent of the men were living with the women when the baby was born.

Two-thirds of first births occur among married couples, Martinez said, and 16 percent occur among couples who are not married or living together.

"The race differences are very striking," Martinez said. "We know that blacks are less likely to marry, so you would expect those births outside of marriage would be greater," she said. "About 50 percent of births to Hispanics were within marriage, 77 percent of births to whites were within marriage, but only 36 percent of births to blacks were within marriage," she said.

Other data in the report show that among non-Hispanic black fathers, 25 percent fathered their first child before they were 20 years old; 19 percent of Hispanic fathers also became fathers as teenagers, and 11 percent of non-Hispanic white men became fathers while they were teens.

But across all races, a dad's education still made all the difference, Martinez said. Well-educated men "are more likely to be married when they have children and are more likely to be active in the lives of their children," she said. "Education trumps race," she said.

One expert thinks that the report paints a positive picture, but added that dads still need support, especially those in lower-income brackets.

"This is a very optimistic picture of the role of dads and fatherhood in America," said Shelley Waters Boots, vice president for policy and programs at the Washington, D.C.-based Parents Action for Children. "It is quite affirming that a lot of dads are doing a lot of the work of parenting," she added.

"In America, we don't give parents credit for how hard it is, and how hard it is to do it well," Waters Boots said. "So, if you have higher income and more flexibility, you see dads really step up to the plate. For dads who are really struggling to bring home the paycheck, they are paying a price of not doing the parenting job they want to do. We need to be giving dads more support," she said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, it's amazing how GREATER SOCIETY KNOWS blacks are less likely to MARRY.

I wonder where they get these NOTIONS from.

"so you would expect those births outside of marriage would be greater"

My question is WAS IT ALWAYS this WAY that GREATER SOCIETY EXPECT BIRTHS OF US OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE?

Maybe a production line EDUCATED BROTHERS need to be on the FRONTLINE.

But half of all sisters may not see them WORKING HARD enough.

Oh well.

I am not WORRIED.

Sometimes we have to create our OWN OPPORTUNITIES and not FALL INTO what "ruthless" white has AVAILABLE within REACH.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Black father's don't get enough credit for all they do and try to do
    to bring his family security.

while i don't agree that all Father's who have less education do a worse job
    in the upbringing of there children , with or without it's harder for men to an
    degree .

3. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Some of the numbers given don't really coincide with other statistics given in other reports. Some reports are saying that more than half of black men drop out of high school, thirty percent have prison records. Other's say that thirty percent of black females give birth to their first child before age 18. I rarely see anything positive said about black men period, educated or not. I think that, being a college graduate myself, that it helps to have greater knowledge of the world before having children, it does provide a firmer foundation for becoming a responsible adult. More than anything else, I think we need to develope our intellect rather through college or other wise, before having children. One needs to know the world they are bringing these innocent and helpless children into.

4. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    I know of a lot of good fathers who worked hard and took care of their families inspite of their lack of a college degree. I also know of many with the college degree who left their children and their wife for another woman. Sending a check once a month and spending a week during the summer with the kids.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    So do I and I'm sure most other people can say the same. Providing for one's children is an issue of the quality of one's character and upbringing, not how much schooling they have.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I too agree there are a lot of father's who doing and have done
    a super job bringing up there children without the best of education

not to take that ways from great father's who have the degrees

i think it's truely base on the father if he's willing to stand up and be a man
    a father and provide the best he can for his child or children and share there
    love to the offsprings .........with or without education they both leave which
    make them bad dads as well some make good dads, this is one where you
    can't say who's out doing who .

I know for a fact that education had nothing to do with being a man a provider
    and a loving father to his children it didn't make him no greater nor any less.

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    This report is a joke.

Academics have nothing to do with child rearing.

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    True in a sense.
    If you can't read,write or perform basic arithmatic with your kids you will not be able to even read your childs homework or help them.
    Now I know you're thinking everybody can do that.
    Not true, my girlfriends boyfriend has 8 kids and cannot read.
    Very sad!
    However you don't have to be a nuclear physist to make a good father.
    I know good fathers with 3rd grade educations.
    They didn't drop out because they were illiterate but to help feed and raise their siblings,family.
    It's never too late to learn.
    Learning through your children is wonderful as well.

9. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Though I am in college right now trying to get a degree(I don't call it an education because I honestly don't remember half the stuff I learned) , I find it funny how people with degrees and so called educations always want to do studies and attribute everything that is wrong with society with the lack of that piece of paper. My father didn't finish tenth grade, didn't play with any of his five children a whole lot and we thought he was the meanest man in the world. What he did do though is make sure we went to bed with full stomachs. He made sure we studied every day and he made sure we stayed out of trouble. I don't even think I ever heard him say he loved one of us. But I can look back and appreciate all the things he did and how he put lots of his dreams and aspirations on the back burner because my mother wanted lots of children.

10. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    It is easy to equate on set of statistics with a set of circumstances. That does not make them CORRECT. Education (formal) is not the KEY to black men parenting their children. Like many have said there are PLENTY of us without college degrees who take care of our children. We failed to mention how many HAVE college degrees but don't take of their children.

Anyway, it is not formal education that makes the difference, it is a PLAN. Without a plan, there are many events like death, job hunting, romance, child birth, etc that are met with very poor decision making by both sexes. The difference back in the day is that black men PREPARED to be married and have children at a young age and PLANNED to work in the factory or whatever his trade was to take care of his family.

Now we don't teach our children to plan for whatever. If that plan has college in it, fine. If that plan doesn't have college in it, that's fine too. Regardless of what the plan entails, it MUST have being a good father or mother in it.