Black People : Study: Diversity rises in suburbs

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Aug 24, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2006-08-03-suburbs-diversity_x.htm

2. BlackManStand

BlackManStand New Member MEMBER

Attorney
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black Flight

At least in Atlanta, I think these statistics are a result of: (1) public housing/Section 8 areas being destroyed and gentrified so whites can shorten their commutes (after they ran so far away from the city/blacks that they had to drive 1 hr/1 way to get to work) and (2) middle-class blacks trying to run away from each other.

My wife is a real estate agent, and she is always disheartened when her black clients refuse to look at nice neighborhoods if there are "too many" blacks living there. What our people don't understand is that as soon as too many of us move into a white neighborhood, the whites are leaving ASAP (which depresses property values) -- so then working class blacks can afford to move into the neighborhood, which is creating "depressed" black suburbs where the upper-middle class blacks are selling property (trying to find another "good"/white neighborhood) and major businesses are leaving along with them.

If blacks at all income levels would commit to living together we could truly "lift all boats with the rising tide." The infrastructure, safety, economy & educational systems in black neighborhoods would be greatly bolstered if professional blacks would "stay at home" and demand the services, schools, and businesses that they are looking for in white neighborhoods. For the good of our "hoods," blacks across the socio-economic spectrum should unify and commit to living together.

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Next month I'm going to be moving back to Chicago and I've noticed that alot of neighborhoods that were once black are now becoming white because the whites seem to be running from the suburbs back into the city. Alot of the projects on the south side are being torn down and gradually they are building really nice condos sometimes only down the street. It's kind of crazy how quickly a neighborhood can go from being an all black neighborhood to being white. 10 years time can make a BIG difference.

I try my best not to make too many comments but I couldn't resist this one because in a week from now I'm going to be once again a Chicagoan. Suburbs over here in the Chicago area are becoming worse.

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an understatement! I last visited the Chicagoland area 5 years ago (one month after 9-11) and was amazed that one of the areas I grew up in, Bolingbrook, was about 1/4 Hispanic. A couple of years before that I was equally shcoked that another area I grew up in Maywood/Melrose Park was also largely Hispanic. It does not take areas that long to change, 10 years (I left Illinois 12 years ago) can indeed make a big difference.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    The 'burbs may be becoming more multicultural, true but I still don't think that there will be intermingling among people of different races along economic lines. White flight and take overs are not unusual or uncommon. You're seeing a lot more gated communities which sends an overt message to stay out if you don't belong there. The way I see it, poor communities and rich communities are becoming more racially mixed but how is that necessarily a good thing if you're still alienated or isolated because of your income level?

Queenie :heart:

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It isn't which is the "inside joke" of integration as a tool to end racial prejudice and economic inequality!

7. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I've lived in the suburbs for about twenty years now. I was raised in the big city projects, and always wanted a better life, not just to be near white people, just a better life. When you look at a house as an investment, then you have to consider appreciation in value. Property values are lower in most low income areas, which is the category most inner city neighborhoods fall under.

When I moved into my neighborhood, it was about ninety percent white, now it's about fifty-fifty. There has been no decline in property values to speak of, in fact houses sell there in less than a month after posting. Some are even sold the next day.

There is also an increase in the number of interracial marriages, and racially mixed children.

I don't expect to see a time when there are all black affluent neighborhoods, or all white one's either, in areas where there's a mixture of races. Many whites refer to all white neighborhoods as "pillow communities", a derogatory term, not one of endearment. They too want diversity for their children in view of the social changes taking place.

The great divide now is income level, poor whites and poor blacks are occupying the same dwellings. Blacks with the income can pretty much move wherever they wish, in Delaware where I live. We have our share of problems too, but those problems related to race aren't that common.

8. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent Post!

Excellent Analysis BlackManStand....:bullseye: