Black Education / Schools : Study: Black girls 6 times more likely to be suspended than white girls in New York schools

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
A new study released by the African American Policy Forum and the Center for Intersectionality and
Social Policy Studies at Columbia University shows that black girls are 6 times more likely to be
suspended than white girls in New York schools.

The study reflected a rate of race disparity even higher than that of black boys and white boys,
according to Vox.

The study showed that 12 percent of black girls were suspended, compared to 2 percent for white
girls. “No white girls were expelled, and thus, no ratio can be calculated,” the study stated. “But the
magnitude of the disparity can be captured by simply imagining that one white girl had been expelled.
Were that the case, the ratio would be 53:1.”

Read more: http://thegrio.com/2015/02/10/black-girls-suspended-new-york-schools/

A new study released by the African American Policy Forum and the Center for Intersectionality and
Social Policy Studies at Columbia University shows that black girls are 6 times more likely to be
suspended than white girls in New York schools.

The study reflected a rate of race disparity even higher than that of black boys and white boys,
according to Vox.

The study showed that 12 percent of black girls were suspended, compared to 2 percent for white
girls. “No white girls were expelled, and thus, no ratio can be calculated,” the study stated. “But the
magnitude of the disparity can be captured by simply imagining that one white girl had been expelled.
Were that the case, the ratio would be 53:1.”

Read more: http://thegrio.com/2015/02/10/black-girls-suspended-new-york-schools/
...it's simple, we are not involved in the education system like Europeans are. Neither are we invested like they are., so the powers that be ( White ) will have a more punitive stance against our kids because they believe that we are either unable or unwilling to be involved to a greater extent. Most Teachers are European Women followed by European Men. Principals and Guidance counselors are pretty much the same.They simply do not have faith the we will teach our kids differently so that they are not getting into trouble as much. They also see a greater propensity for Europeans to
"do better" or change behaviors. The Penal system echoes that same notion as far as parole, sentencing and probation!

...this is an example of how population disadvantage hurts us...we are not in large enough numbers to change the education system. Puerto Ricans came to this country and they had their babies, which is why they are newer to America than us but they outnumber us. They are making babies despite their poverty and language / cultural issues. Maybe we should do the same?

...I don't give much credence to statistics in America. I don't doubt them completely, but there is a way they are used which I see as extremely derogatory. All statistics have a context that they are gathered for. After they are gathered, which may just be general accounting, they are used as weapons to malign us. In crime, stats are reported voluntarily by police Chiefs who can manipulate and interpret them any way he pleases and they do just that. Stats are double and triple stated to match categorical criteria. Some notes are omitted completely. Like in Ferguson. They never released the official report because they didn't want to. They chose not to!

...Stats are gathered from a WIDE variety of social situations and from a WIDE variety of people who have a WIDE variety of lifestyles, beliefs, religions, ages, personal situations and abilities. To take those nationally compiled stats and imply likely hood or criminality on both a regional and national scale is just absurd! One of the greatly used hypocrisies of America that amounts to another arm of Institutional indoctrination towards a mindset that is decidedly against our progress!

Many black girls like to throw down: plain and simple. However, this isn't a bad thing. White girls will smile in your face, be "bishy" and play all types of stupid games with you if they don't like you. Most black girls would just whoop Dat behind and get it out their system...which I find much healthier.

I went to a diverse high school outside of NYC from 2006-10. Majority white with a large black and Hispanic minority. All groups mostly came from middle class families and the black girls fought more than even the black and Latin boys.

Just the way it is..

What are your thoughts on your topic?
I saw your exchange on another thread and the attempt to
call you task for not expressing a viewpoint toward the information
you have shared.

I've posted plenty of articles/videos for which I've shared no opinion about.
Why? Because sometimes I am merely disseminating information.
If some wish to respond, cool, if not..., cool just the same. I opine
that not every thread/topic requires a response, or must be responded
to.

Similar situation: I've to gotten 'the attention' for posting a video clip
without, I think summarizing it or something like that. As long as we
stay within the rules, everything should be cool. Make an earnest attempt
and one should find themselves far more times on the 'right' than the 'not right'....

Many black girls like to throw down: plain and simple. However, this isn't a bad thing. White girls will smile in your face, be "bishy" and play all types of stupid games with you if they don't like you. Most black girls would just whoop Dat behind and get it out their system...which I find much healthier.

I went to a diverse high school outside of NYC from 2006-10. Majority white with a large black and Hispanic minority. All groups mostly came from middle class families and the black girls fought more than even the black and Latin boys.

Just the way it is..
...I am an educator and the culture of young African American kids is off the hook. This fight culture has to go. Bravado will get you strife in school. There are too many of our kids losing time in their classroom every day for detention or getting sent home. That's when they are not running around the school or being wrestled down.

...School districts are more concerned today about potential lawsuits than they are about effective discipline. The truth is that kids can get away with their behavior because the teachers can't do anything much except remove them ( eventually ) from the class. I have seen boys and girls being dragged to "The Big Room" every day...all year long. Some of these kids see this as their every day game to get out of class and doing assignments. I worked with third graders this year. 8 and 9 year olds who cuss, spit, punch, kick and threaten. 3rd grade reading on a level below 1st grade...that's like 1/2 or more of the class.

...kids say, "my mother said that if someone hit me that I have to fight them back". I tell them you have to make decisions as a young man when you are out in the world. Your Parents are talking about carrying yourself in the streets in general. In school, hitting back means automatic involvement and detention, you get removed from the room for a short period or all day up to a week or you are transferred to another class. The hard rule is that if you are hit you report it. If you hit back, you have an equal part in the fight...who hit first doesn't matter.

...our culture is walking on eggs politically and socially with this violence and it has to be reduced. We have to broaden our outlook and realize THE DAMAGE WE CAUSE OURSELVES.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back