Black People : studies on brainwashing frm SCIENCE magazine

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    Racial Bias, Unspoken But Heard

John F. Dovidio

Nonverbal behavior is a powerful form of social influence. People can abstract accurate meaning from even very brief exposures to nonverbal behavior—a facial expression or subtle body language, for example (1). Across cultures, the ability to understand nonverbal messages occurs quickly; even infants and toddlers demonstrate this capacity. Moreover, nonverbal signals can be especially effective in transmitting social attitudes because they can be spontaneously understood with minimal effort and are perceived as a source of valid information. On page 1711 of this issue, Weisbuch et al. (2) examine how racial prejudice can be covertly spread and reinforced, and propose that in American society, negative nonverbal behavior modeled by white individuals in popular media critically shapes white viewers' orientations toward black individuals [see (3) for how race was determined in the study].

Department of Psychology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520–8205, USA.

The Subtle Transmission of Race Bias via Televised Nonverbal Behavior

Max Weisbuch,* Kristin Pauker, Nalini Ambady*

Compared with more explicit racial slurs and statements, biased facial expressions and body language may resist conscious identification and thus produce a hidden social influence. In four studies, we show that race biases can be subtly transmitted via televised nonverbal behavior. Characters on 11 popular television shows exhibited more negative nonverbal behavior toward black than toward status-matched white characters. Critically, exposure to prowhite (versus problack) nonverbal bias increased viewers’ bias even though patterns of nonverbal behavior could not be consciously reported. These findings suggest that hidden patterns of televised nonverbal behavior influence bias among viewers.

Department of Psychology, Tufts University, 490 Boston Avenue, Medford, MA 02155, USA.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/326/5960/1641?rss=1&ssource=mfc

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Extremely Timely and Important issue

:teach::time::lift::lift::climb:

There has been a resurgence in racism in the media and in the public, and regardless of what anyone says about Obama's policies including myself, he is Black and my brother, and when i walked through Park Slope the day after he won, I saw experienced and was accosted by all of the aspects, as they were, of body language etc. of white priviledge, and the heat of animosity, and this coming from a so called "progressive, liberal" white community.

The steady onslaught of what Langston Hughes called "Mr. Backlash", has increased exponentially in the racist and stereotypical images of Black folks on television, print media and movies.

Please view
    http://cemotap.ning.com/

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    ah, the white liberal...

i deal with the white fine art community. they are all certain that they are post racist.
    at the very same time they strictly and rigidly enforce a Eurocentric esthetic. they are schizoid.

i believe that one of the reasons black folk pound on themselves so much is that they do not know white people well enough.
    in fact, it was white liberals who turned me away from an integrationist mindset toward a nationalist thinking.

you want crazy? them mofos will show you crazy.

4. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    When I was at Pratt Institute painting like the world was going to end my best teacher, asked me if I was interested in gettin itno the Black art world, yeah that could hav ebeen some nice quick chedda but ,
    young white dudes painting images of trash in the street were getting ten times what Charles Bibbs and Anthony Armstrong were getting.

I feel you they keep that art world locked up to themselves.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    race and class...

yes, the major art market is exclusively white

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    back to the topic......

these studies show the "matrix" or the global system of white supremacy in action.

this is one of the multiple ways in which white supremacy is expressed.
    white people are not the only ones looking at TV. black people look to.
    blacks are also programmed into a sense of inferiority and self hate.
    these feelings run deep. below awareness. but they are very real.

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    maybe that is why some look at a rope called Black nationalism that will pull them out of a hole of despair,
    as a snake instead of a means of assistance, to get out of a hole

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    this (and hating commercials because they seem to make people look stupid) has a lot to do with why i stopped doing media (tv, movies, latest music, radio, newspapers) a very long time ago. i'll watch a dvd of something very old, but only stuff that i find entertaining (action, comedy, "techy" type stuff) and basically not to be taken seriously type stuff.

the biggest biasing i hate is how "they've" got the world convinced about the behavior of Africans (even, or especially, to the extent that "black people" always want to argue that "Africans" are folks "over there"): which roles do folks get? which awards do folks get for which roles? this whole "below the nap" haircut craze among "black" "men", and the "flowing blonde/red/brunette locks" on "black" women. <shudder>

even worse, it just makes me sick to bear the brunt of the comments i get from "black people" when i point this stuff out: might as well lobotomize; y'all ain't using it!! ... to be fair though; there's been over 1400 years of dis-allowing said usage.

does anyone have any thoughts on how to begin the de-programming? ... aside from/in addition to turning off the media, of course.

(ain't gonna say no more than this: too much mess on this planet to be even wasting time with "art" - do that stuff after the work is done (well, gotta start first, eh?). also, i think i'm getting tired of ... well, reckon i got tired of that a long time ago ... but: how/when does any sort of discussion commence concerning building infrastructure? even some discussion about outfitting/repairing cars/trucks/engines/transmissions? there was a bit about "survival gardens". long ago, queentswana posted something about a woman that was working toward "black community apprenticeships" or some such. any one here in the building trades? how about "do-it-yourselfers? home repairs/building? basically hands-on real stuff? - oops! did this rant pop up in the wrong thread? 'scuse!)

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Many feel the only programming Black folks have is religion and if they drop their religion we wiil all be free, and everything will be all right

Some feel that each person has to deprogram themselves, which is kinda like saying if a man is hit by a car he should set his own bones

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    sunshine is the best disinfectant....

the first step to deprogramming is to realize and accept that programming is going on.