Black People : Student Banned from Homecoming over Dreadlocks

Personally, I don't like the look of dreads at all but if there is no policy that prevents students from wearing dreads day to day at school, then there shouldn't be this off-the-cuff, make-up-the-rules-as-you-go type trash.

About 12 years ago, I was interviewing potential employees for an outside sales position at a business that I owned at that time. A White guy can in for an interview with a thick ponytail that went down his back almost to his waist. Other than that ponytail, I really liked the guy for that position. I told him straight up, "I think you would be a good match for this position, but I have to be honest with you, I don't want someone out in the community representing my business who looks like a hippy...I would love to have you on our team, but I know you have years invested in growing that hair but I just can't have that image represent my business"

I just knew he was going to get upset and walk out, curse me out, or threaten to sue me. BUT, before I completed my statement good, he said, "If the hair is the only thing keeping me form gettng the Job, if you want it gone, it's gone". I was shocked, but I didn't let on. I said, "Well, without the hair, I do believe you would fit the clean cut image that I want my business to protray". He said, "When do I start" I said "9:00am tomorrow morning if that gives you enough time for a haircut"

The next morning, I almost didn't recognize him when he came in the door. He worked for me for about a year and was a good outside salesman.

Now on another note:
I go into a LOT of hospital emergency rooms and meet a LOT of doctors. I went to this one ER two days in a row. The first day, I saw this one young brother with dreads as well as other people but he was on the other side of the ER and we did not interact at all, just another brother in passing.

The following day, I came in and he was interacting directly with the nurses on our team. He was giving them instructions for transporting a critical patient. Now, I can listen to a doctor talk and know pretty quickly rather he is any good, know what he is talking about, is confident in his skills, lacks confidence, is competent or incompetent.

I was VERY impressed with this young brother. He was confident, but in no way arrogant. He was competent and not intemidated by our nurses. He was a rock solid ER doctor. (Yes, I can discern this within just a few moments) A lot of doctors are arrogant to compensate for their lack of confidence or competence. A lot of doctors are competent and confident, yet very arrogant.

My point is...the first day I seen him, if someone would have stood me back and said "Identify the doctor in this room." He would have been the very last one I would have picked because of his youth, and his dreads. Primarily the dreads. (I see Black doctors on a regular basis....not enough of them, but definately on a regular basis.)

Long stories, but like I said, I personally don't like dreads, but if you wear them and expect to excel in corporate America or business, you better come correct in every area and be prepared to impress in every way, because the expectations of you right of the bat are usually not viewed as positive.

You are a lost cause....

I'm sure the district has some policy against it---especially if the parents decide there may be a legal recourse...but, you're right...you never know. My point is, if this is indeed the one who made that decision of his own accord, we need to start speaking up about folks trying to keep the plantation spirit alive. There's no reason that child should be denied entrance to a prom for sporting traditional/natural hair---especially by one of his "own".

So the question begs the answer: What is it that they are so afraid of?..lol

Pay no attention to the stooge... he is just 'buffer' put in place by the REAL PERSONS IN CHARGE he doesn't even know the reason behind his distaste of locks...just following massa's orders...

but i'm sayin... what's 'massa' so afraid of?:em0200::court:

Smh...no words..you're comparing a white man with long hair..to locks?

Do you even no the significance of having locked hair?...oh yeah madame CJ walker is your 'Hero'..never mind!:10500:

You've got issues fullspeed, seriously....

And sir it is NOT called dreads..there is NOTHING ''dreadful'' about black people hair in its natural state..white people might have taught you that YOUR hair is dreadful.. but keep that definition to your self and stop hexing other people....

I wanna know if an HASIDIC JEW came in looking for a job WITH THEIR UNIQUE HAIR STYLE WOULD YOU HAVE THE SAME REACTION...

smh....

my sentiments exactly but consider the source ...

Confused

Now As I am not from the US explain something to me please.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Dreadlocked_rasta.jpg

The foto link above is what I would call Dreadlocks. An I’m sorry but these look horrible, and I would not hire any one with such to represent my company. They are normallly dirty, smelly etc.

http://www.google.com/images?q=lock...tle&resnum=4&ved=0CC8QsAQwAw&biw=1076&bih=415

This is what I would refer to as locks. Much different, and I would have these people representing me.
Do I have the correct understanding of which is which.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back