African Traditional Religion : Student and Teacher

Ajna Wisdom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 10, 2009
Greetings Fam! I am asking this question because I need clarification on what are the expectations of the student teacher relationship? Let me give you a little story of what I have experienced with a former mentor.

As most of you know if you've read the thread Getting Started in Ifa I talk about going to an Akan priest and he divined that I will be initiated into Ifa. They gave me a number of a house in Philadelphia and I talked to the wife once and never heard from them again even when I left messages over and over. Well, my search had begun to find the right person who I could study under.

I frequently listen to blog talk radio and listened to this sister that was on one of the shows that I used to frequent. She also had podcasts which were very informative at the time. At first I didn't want to contact her because on one of the shows she talks about also being initiated into some kind of Celtic goddess thing. Well, eventually I had a change of heart while listening to her other interviews. Should have stuck with my first impression.

I decided to contact the sister and she told me that she was initiated into Ifa, Vodun, and of course this Celtic goddess thing. But, now she was a kemetic priestess. So I was like ok because she was initiated into Ifa and I imagined that I would be learning something about Ifa.

I bought two of her books which were disappointments. The first book I got focused on Egyptian Magic and the second book was a rehash of some of the information that was in the first book. And a lot of the information is common sense. I talked about the same stuff on a blog I had a few years ago. Her temple focuses on the Chakras and I have a crap load of books on the Chakras. I talked to her over the phone maybe 3 times. She only answered one of my emails but we text most of the time, which gets on the nerves eventually. I would call and she wouldn't pick up. I don't even know how she would know If I was ready for initiation.

Don't get me wrong she is a very nice lady and I send blessings to her and her family, but I felt in my spirit that I was not getting the teaching I was supposed to be getting. I decided to contact Asar Imhotep, who has been a big help, and he recommended some books and sent me some information. It was like a light went off. I finally got most of what I needed. I even learned more on this site in a week than I learned from her in 4 months. I remembered her saying on a podcast that once a student calls her with a question she doesn't expect to hear from them again for a while.

With all that being said, what should I expect from a teacher student relationship? Is it an apprentiship or are they someone you talk to every once in a while to ask questions? Also, when someone takes you on as a student are they supposed to do a divination? Modupe.

Aboru, Aboye, Abosise

Greetings Fam! I am asking this question because I need clarification on what are the expectations of the student teacher relationship? Let me give you a little story of what I have experienced with a former mentor.

As most of you know if you've read the thread Getting Started in Ifa I talk about going to an Akan priest and he divined that I will be initiated into Ifa. They gave me a number of a house in Philadelphia and I talked to the wife once and never heard from them again even when I left messages over and over. Well, my search had begun to find the right person who I could study under.

I frequently listen to blog talk radio and listened to this sister that was on one of the shows that I used to frequent. She also had podcasts which were very informative at the time. At first I didn't want to contact her because on one of the shows she talks about also being initiated into some kind of Celtic goddess thing. Well, eventually I had a change of heart while listening to her other interviews. Should have stuck with my first impression.

I decided to contact the sister and she told me that she was initiated into Ifa, Vodun, and of course this Celtic goddess thing. But, now she was a kemetic priestess. So I was like ok because she was initiated into Ifa and I imagined that I would be learning something about Ifa.

I bought two of her books which were disappointments. The first book I got focused on Egyptian Magic and the second book was a rehash of some of the information that was in the first book. And a lot of the information is common sense. I talked about the same stuff on a blog I had a few years ago. Her temple focuses on the Chakras and I have a crap load of books on the Chakras. I talked to her over the phone maybe 3 times. She only answered one of my emails but we text most of the time, which gets on the nerves eventually. I would call and she wouldn't pick up. I don't even know how she would know If I was ready for initiation.

Don't get me wrong she is a very nice lady and I send blessings to her and her family, but I felt in my spirit that I was not getting the teaching I was supposed to be getting. I decided to contact Asar Imhotep, who has been a big help, and he recommended some books and sent me some information. It was like a light went off. I finally got most of what I needed. I even learned more on this site in a week than I learned from her in 4 months. I remembered her saying on a podcast that once a student calls her with a question she doesn't expect to hear from them again for a while.

With all that being said, what should I expect from a teacher student relationship? Is it an apprentiship or are they someone you talk to every once in a while to ask questions? Also, when someone takes you on as a student are they supposed to do a divination? Modupe.

Aboru, Aboye, Abosise

I've never been initiated but have had readings and divinations done. Simply put---you must be very careful about who you allow into your spirit space. That ain't no joke. Besides being exploited, you may come across sheer incompetence. Follow your instinct, as nothing is a coincidence. If you feel comfortable with Asar Imhotep (the Egyptian yoga man right?), then follow that lead until it runs out. It may not be one person, it may be a series of persons and signs that click and REALLY hit home. Good teachers are rare, so just follow 'the yellow brick road'.

I've never been initiated but have had readings and divinations done. Simply put---you must be very careful about who you allow into your spirit space. That ain't no joke. Besides being exploited, you may come across sheer incompetence. Follow your instinct, as nothing is a coincidence. If you feel comfortable with Asar Imhotep (the Egyptian yoga man right?), then follow that lead until it runs out. It may not be one person, it may be a series of persons and signs that click and REALLY hit home. Good teachers are rare, so just follow 'the yellow brick road'.

Thank you Blacklioness for your words of encouragement. I will continue to follow the yellow brick road because I know that I will get to where I need to be.

Sister Ajna, in Ifa we usually belong to an Ile or community of worshippers, so we have more than one teacher. But you always start with one. several posts have been made on this subject. Go back and read them, and then pray for the person you seek to appear.

where do you live?

Aboru, Aboye, Abosise

I have a Teacha, and I think the best student/teacher relationship is based on the fact that both are actually playing both roles. There is a mutual need that exists to participate in the exchange.

No one "can take anyone on" as a student. The person that makes you a better you is your Teacha, and this can and does happen naturally thru the events of your perception of your day.

A Teacha should be available to answer questions, but in my experiences a great Teacha plants seeds of thought through speaking of their own perceived enlightenments, and then leaves the student to ponder and develop freely as to not impose egotistic views on the fragile mind.

Once the student realizes that a Teacha really isn't necessary, and the roles clearly become defined as a mutual teacha/teacha trust then yes, an apprenticeship would be in order.

Me personally, I love my Teacha, really really do

and he thinks I'm disrespectful to others then he, that I need to grow up, and he laughs because he says I remind him of himself, and he is soooo patient, especially because trust me I am as belligerently aggressive with him as I am in every other area...lol

I am. I tell him I love him, and I wanna punch people in the face, and that I think he's sexy (respectfully)

So anyway a Teacha is someone you love, trust, honor, respect and share a bond with, and the reason to have one is to become your own.

good luck

oh, and no, no need for divination.... you'll know, you'll feel it.

And although my approach to everything is always me being myself, I am who I am....

I just wanted to add that it is a very serious serious concept and a Teacha is just someone that you want to model their role to reach your own enlightenment...

Once you can look into your own eyes (para-phrasing Pac) and see your own soul, the spot in u where ur soul is, and you know what it "looks" like, you'll find ur Teacha because the "inside" will look like urs, and in spirit you'll share the bond

Really there can only be one "master" in a temple, u find ur temple u'll find ur Teacha.

In my heart there is only One Great Spirit that plays all roles.

Much Love

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back