Black People : Stuck on white...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Sep 5, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Oct 25, 2005
    Study: Minorities often consider other races, especially whites, their competitors

ANN ARBOR, Mich.—Whites are unlikely to view minorities as competition when it involves having political influence and obtaining good jobs, a new University of Michigan study shows.

Minorities, however, view whites as threatening in job competition and political influence, said Vincent Hutchings, an associate professor of political science and research associate professor at the U-M Institute for Social Research (ISR).

According to the study, most whites did not see their opportunities limited when competing against blacks, Latinos, Asians or Afro-Caribbeans.

Lead author Hutchings and his colleagues used the National Politics Study (NPS) at ISR to explain perceptions of inter-group conflict among various ethnic groups. The study asked more than 3,300 respondents about their political and racial attitudes and behavior based on perceptions of zero-sum terms, which are the gains or losses based on other participants.

One set of study questions involved how these five ethnic groups felt about the threat of competition from other races. They were worded as follows:

• "More good jobs for (another group) means fewer good jobs for people like me."

• "The more influence (other groups) have in politics the less influence people like me will have in politics."

About 20 percent of whites endorsed the view that more good jobs for other racial and ethnic groups would mean less for their group.

"Interestingly, no significant distinctions were made across groups for white respondents: blacks, Hispanics, Asian Americans and Afro-Caribbeans are all treated more or less the same when it comes to whites' beliefs about competition over jobs," the researchers noted.

Meanwhile, blacks were twice as likely as whites to agree that more good jobs for other racial groups came at their expense. Among blacks, the research shows, the most troublesome competitors were whites. About half of the Afro-Caribbean respondents indicated that more good jobs for whites meant fewer good jobs for them.

Latinos perceived relatively high levels of zero-sum conflict with other groups, especially Whites. Asians viewed whites as the most threatening regarding job competition.

For political competition, less than 20 percent of whites agreed that other racial groups represented a competitive threat to their group. About 57 percent of blacks and 53 percent of Latinos, however, identified whites as competitors to their racial group.

"Latinos also view the remaining groups as greater threats with respect to politics, but the increase is not as large as with whites," Hutchings said.

Asians were more concerned with whites in the political arena than in the job market, with 58 percent---the highest among all groups---agreeing with political influence for whites comes at the expense of Asians.

Individuals who express greater levels of group identification are more likely to view other groups as competitors. The exception was Afro-Caribbeans, whose level of group identification increased while their sense of competition with blacks and Latinos decreased, Hutchings said.

... The rest here ...

One thing I will say is I enjoy the nonchalant attitude of whites. THEY DONT CONSIDER any non-EUROPEAN unlike them as COMPETITION for SO-CALLED GOOD JOBS. Someone HAD to CREATE them GOOD JOBS and it was NOT EASY. Look to our ANCESTORS who created OPPORTUNITY for ALL. Their LIFE INVOLVEMENT wasnt EASY to say the LEAST. We should do the SAME because I would hate to be STUCK on WHITE for SURVIVAL PURPOSES. It's DUMB and that is what will happen this FALL by the way on SURVIVOR TV.

Let me leave with some Carter G. Woodson QUOTES.

Here we find that the Negro has failed to re- cover from his slavish habit of berating his own and worshipping others as perfect beings.

If the whites are to continue for some time in doing drudgery to the exclusion of, Negroes, the latter must find another way out.

If the white man wants to hold on to it, let him do so; but the Negro, so far as he is able, should develop and carry out a program of his own.