Black People : Struggling with my new job and co-workers.

Thank you everyone for you input and encouragement. I'm not used to this, being that my last boss was black and looked out for me in an environment that was much similar to this...He was pretty much like a shield that guarded me against this nonsense.

Sounds like he may have been treating you like train porters did for other black passengers way-back-when. Now would be a time for you to repay him by doing your best at what you do, and maybe giving support to someone else who could use it. Sometimes, we have to forget our own uncomfortableness, and comfort someone else.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation dealing with a bigot. I'm from Texas and have learned quite a bit about dealing with bigots, they would much prefer they be direct with how they feel about something. That way, the people who are uncomfortable or feel differently can go away from them and leave them to have fun with those who share in the same boys-club bigotry.

In a way it's so true what Sister Proverbswoman said, it's almost a compliment, but in the form of an insult or something. You force this primitive man to face his own bigotry each day. He can't express it outright, so he drops lines here and there about other races. It's the ONLY way he knows how to relate to shaded people - through his racism. He can't see or hear anything but his own projections of what you are, given to him by other people and never questioned. And what makes him cold-shoulder you is conditioned dislike and general mistrust for you. It's a sheep-like mindset handed down to him by other conformists who carry the big white lie with them, carrying their own privileged caskets in which to bury themselves with their bigotry.

If you don't want to joke around with him in his bigoted fashion, then he most likely won't find any other way to relate to you, because he isn't trying. If you plan to stay at this job, and find that your boss is the only thing you dislike about it, I wish you the best of luck and fortune. I wish I could somehow figure these people out myself. My current idea is that it would be beneficial to get them to question their own classifications of identity about your people, it's like the first thing they revert to is their sense of racist stereotyping. So, making a joke of this type would be something for him to pick up on, but there again - to what extent would this be catering to the bigotry, you know?

So if you can make him question it in another way, for instance by being mysterious to him. Or by just being your funny self and making him laugh because you're comical, or beautiful in your delivery, gracious despite his arrogance and ignorance, lovely as an expression of yourself - that's really all you can do here. Make him see himself for what he is - ugly and crass. Hard-a$$ed. Dense and superficial. Give him some contrast, the contrast between the warmth of your people and the coldness of his own. What you have going for you is beyond his ability to conceive. The question is whether it is beyond yours.

Peace.

So I am no longer substituting in the school district. I thought it was about time I find a job with better pay, and so I did. The first month was cool, the girl who hired me and is training me was cool. But I have this boss who gives me the cold-shoulder for no reason at all. I have never done anything to this man, I've been to work and done my job, but I almost get the sense he doesn't care for me because of my skin.
There is another co-worker at my job who is also black, but he works out in the warehouse. And my boss wants him fired and gone, but my co-worker misses a lot of work and smokes in the warehouse and wrecks equipment and messes up orders. Which I think is a cause to let someone go. But my boss cannot fire him because he is not under direct authority with him, but someone else.
Whenever I (try) talk to my boss he will never look at me and he always tries to rush me out of his office when I come in there to file something away. If there is an issue that concerns my help or assistance he won't tell me about but instead tells other people which doesn't help the situation since I'm the one whose job it concerns.
Now he smiles and jokes with the other ladies in the office (whom are white) but I'm just a fly on the wall.
I don't seek this mans friendship or anything, I just want some communication and acknowledgement in order to get what work I need done.
And I do not like coming to work always feeling like I'm stepping on egg shells.
Now, this guy has said some pretty crazy stuff about people's other races. Last Friday, he got of the phone with our company's accountant, whom is Chinese, and made fun of how he talked and called him the "Little China Man"...and he's also made comments about the Mexican co-workers in another warehouse.
I don't want to quit my job on the grounds of this man possibly and probably being a total bigot.
But I really hate working with anyone like that.
What should I do?

peace

Don't tell me you hit 'em up with the 'womp womp' already? lol

Just breathe easy and do what you're there to do and ignore all else...They are probably trying to feel you out since you are new. All jobs pretty much have a 'rites of passage' if you will, for new people...

If all else fails, you know what to do....hit 'em with the Washington State shuffle!

Jabb 'em in the face with kindness using your left, then when you see they can't take no more you put 'em to sleep with some love from your right! Meaning, when you hear your boss making comments like that about chinese or whomever say something like "that's funny because i'm part chinese", or which ever group he's speaking about at that particular moment. He will eventually stop making those comments around you. The other guy seems like he's trying to show his loyalty to the white females so they won't get uncomfortable and think he's going to jump ship. What you try to do is catch him in the middle of one of his joking sections with them the next time he goes around you for something you are responsable and kindly ask him with a smile, why he keeps doing that since he knows it your sole responsibility. I guarantee you that right jab of psychological love will
embarass him in front of those other females and he will no longer be able to lie to them behind your back about your work load and he will start to come directly to you because he won't want you to confront him againg. But you have to do it with kindness, no matter how much you have to grit your teetch. You will feel much better about it afterwards.....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back