Black People : stress reduction

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alkebulan, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    n our daily hustle & bustle we frequently fail 2 take the time 2 truly appreciate our fellow travelers, human & otherwise, thru this life journey. when was the last time u: stood still 2 enjoy a sunset until it completely set?, sat near a pond, lake, river or ocean & just listened 2 its motion?, interrupted ur schedule 2 lighten the load of someone who could not possibly repay u?; sat quietly w/o any extraneous electronic sounds n silent contemplative meditation 4 a whole hour or more (naps don t count)? intentionally planned a solo day journey exclusively 2 heighten ur appreciation 4 natures simple bounty?

what activity, f any, do u intentionally include to alieviate or reduce stressors n ur life (besides sex, drugs, & rock & roll, or the bible), how long hv u been doing it, what r its gr8est benefits, & how did u 1st get started in it?

2. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    doctor parker...I do some or similar things on your list all the time...at least one on a daily basis; enjoying peace and quiet. I go to work early, I have about two hours to myself before the next co-worker arrive. I used that time well. Since I go in early I usually get home about three hours before the family come home...again I use that time well also. A quiet house works wonders sometimes.

The one thing that I consciously do to relieve or reduce stress is to pay my bills and debt owed on time; keep my finances in order; and remember the old adage "don't worry about things that you can't control".

3. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Music - healer and soul soother

Dance - building up energy and releasing it

Laugh - Gathering happy feelings to overcome the sad ones

Read - Escape into another world or come into a new reality

Friends - Sharing their healing energy to eleviate stress

Exercise - Another form of building up energy and releasing it

Meditation - I'm working on doing this one but it helps to reach a point of tranquility and higher level of consciousness/closer connection to God

There's plenty to do, just finding time to do it is the issue, when one has a busy schedule.

4. rmstkd

rmstkd Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Stress reducers for me are:

Jazz music

Bubble baths by candle light

Reading

Martial Arts (meditation is part of my discipline)

Jig Saw Puzzles

Walks on the beach

5. Alkebulan

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    zeroG: going n early is a habit i can relate to, tho it requires a dicipline few ppl seem 2 acquire. u sound like a person who values their quiet time. hadn't thought of paying bills as stress reduction, but now that u mention it...

deepa: i like this variety. so many options, & i employ some of the same ones u do.

rmstkd: hi & welcome :wave: (i'm seeing u 4 the 1st time) jigsaw puzzels, now that's 1 i hvn't tried yet.

thanks to all 3 for responding.

6. rmstkd

rmstkd Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doc and thanks for the welcome.

I started putting Jigsaw puzzles together about 15 years ago and I tell ya, once you start it's hard to stop. I find myself up til 2 or 3 in the morning and have to get up at 5:30 to get ready for work. LOL

I have one now (haven't start it yet) that's 8,000 pieces 5' by 6' when finished. It's of the Sistine Chapel. I've asked my mother could I use the garage to put it together. Well, needless to say, she thought I was nuts and said no. LOL. Its ok. I have a spare room I can put it together in.

It's A LOT of fun and great for getting rid of stress.

7. Alkebulan

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    o k, wait a min. u meant 80 pieces, right? or mayb 800 pieces? tell me u didn't say 8,000 (eight thousand) pieces :eek: :eek: pieces.

let me giv u some idea of my talent level 4 assembly: when i place a video casette back n the plastic carton, & manage 2 get both of those plastic hinges 2 snap, :jumping: :jumping: i'm quite proud of myself. we're taling about some1 who avoids packages that say: some assembly required as thou it were the toxic waste site of an ebola/hunta virus infested villiage. any item entering my house w instructions that require more than 5 steps becomes instant salvage.

8k of anything other than $ or calories, wld probably blo my mind (it doesen't take much). talk about cut & paste, boy howdy. i'd 4 sure hv some elmer's & sizzor's handy. i'm thinking that wld b a major stressor 4 me.

but, :toast: :toast: :toast: 2 u 4 being gifted n that way. jus knowing about it makes me want 2 take a nap.

8. rmstkd

rmstkd Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL...Doc you are a scream. Yes, 8,000 pieces was correct. My smallest puzzle is 500 pieces. Give it a try in your spare time, you might enjoy it. But start with the small one first. LOL

9. Alkebulan

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i remain unconvinced & waaaay 2 lazy. i think i ll wait a decade or 2 till my alzhiemer's gets worse, that shld make them much more challenging.

u kno what's interesting? no 1 mentioned food. now, i kno i'm not the only 1 that uses food 2 relieve stress. my current favorite is blue bell birthday cake ice cream. also, as long as we're talking about food & stress, i shld probably mention my diet tips, b/c dieting can b quite stressful. following these tips cld really help:

f u eat something & no 1 sees u eat it, it has no calories. (f it can work 4 trees n the forest, it can work here)

f u drink a diet soda w a candy bar, the calories n the candy bar r canceled out by the diet soda. another part of the new math they never taught u.

when u eat w someone else, calories don't count f u do not eat more than they do.(sort of a reverse contest)

food used 4 medicinal purposes NEVER counts, such as hot chocolate, brandy, toast & sara lee cheesecake.(hey, f it heals whats ailing me, its medicinal)

f u fatten up everyone else around u, u ll look thinner.

movie related foods do not hv additional calories b/c they r part of the entertainment package & not part of 1's personal fuel. xamples: milk duds, buttered popcorn, junior mints, red hots & tootsie rolls.

cookie pieces contain no calories. the process of breaking causes calorie leakage. (esp chocolate chip cookies)

things licked off knives & spoons hv no calories f u r n the process of preparing something.

foods that hv the same color hv the same # of calories. xamples r: spinach & pistachio ice cream; mushrooms & mashed potatoes.

by popular demand, chocolate has now been classified as 1 of the basic food groups & there4 calorie exempt.

anything consumed while standing has no calories. this is due 2 the complex interaction of gravity, density, & the caloric mass, & is the real meaning of: E = MC2

recently enacted federal legislation mandates that anything consumed from someone else's plate has no calories since the calories rightfully belong 2 the other person & r no longer transferable.

10. rmstkd

rmstkd Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, Doc I would think that for those of us who enjoy working out, binge eating, because of stress, would be defeating the purpose and put on unnecessary calories. Which means one would have to work even harder to get it off.

I will say this, I have laughed this day at your post which I'm sure has reduced my calories. LOL