Black People : STRESS: DEFINITELY A BLACK THANG.....

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SOULDEEP3, Oct 1, 2003.

1. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    In the land of the U.S.{manifested to us BLACK People as Unlimited Suffering or Universal Stress} who has more stress to deal with,the Blackman or the Blackwoman?
    I say the BLACKMAN without question,because EVERYDAY WE ARE LITERALLY DYING TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE OF THE STRESSES OF: RACISM, CRIME, GENOCIDE, BLACK HOMICIDE, AIDS, POLICE BRUTALITY,WRONGFUL IMPRISONMENT, LIFE IMPRISONMENT, UNEMPLOYMENT, STRUGGLE FOR REVOLUTION, THE LIST GOES ON,while the greatest stress that BLACKWOMEN DIE FROM is that of WORRYING ABOUT US,because as soon as we leave the house,it's the BLACKMAN vs. WHITE SUPREMACY. AM I RIGHT or WRONG? & DON'T FORGET TO SHARE YOUR REASONS,PLEASE.:peace:

the NUMBER ONE KILLER OF BLACKMEN IS STRESS.

By C.L. SMOOTH***

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Brother SoulDeep3,

I'd vote that no people know stress like Black folk. We want to be careful not to divide ourselves up even more, based on which of us has hurt the most. My Brothers can't feel any pain that is not directly felt by Sisters. When you are killed, locked up, blinded by all that is meant to take your focus, Sisters have had to step up and carry the weight of those losses, as well as continue carrying her share of the burden. Likewise, every male in a Family is affected by the Sister's choices. It is meant to be a continuous cycle of stress, pain, and discomfort, inflicted upon all of us.

:heart:

Destee

3. SOULDEEP3

Ratings:
    +2
    BLESSINGS,Destee.....I appreciate your response,as always.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    " EVERYDAY WE ARE LITERALLY DYING TO THE HIGHEST DEGREE OF THE STRESSES OF: RACISM, CRIME, GENOCIDE, BLACK HOMICIDE, AIDS, POLICE BRUTALITY,WRONGFUL IMPRISONMENT, LIFE IMPRISONMENT, UNEMPLOYMENT, STRUGGLE FOR REVOLUTION "

I have to agree with the above..and with what Destee wrote.

Racism and Unemployment can be tied together. You can't hurt me, unless you keep me from caring for my family. Then I must be ready to respond in the ways offered to all. I turn to my business knowledge. Oh this doesn't relieve the stress.. it keeps me busy, and brings in some income. What can we do different. I have my merchant license. It gives me a chance to sell and recieve a tax break. Those not given tothe ordinary masses. I can write off some mortgage, electric bill, food and clothes, dry cleaning and expenses I use toward's my business. It also allows me to give gifts up to $25.00 to all I know. possible associates and customers.. Which first includes my family and friends. I write off my cars, and the computer, my typewritr and calculator. As long as I keep the business moving. It gives back to my family a chance to participate insomething that wil benefit them as well. This licence also opens up in the future an opportunity for them to carry on a side line business.

Yet what frustrates me about racism.. is there are not enough law suits taken serious, and change made. The job thing is voluntary.. on my part and my employers. Not needing a reason to let me go.. Is the law. But he should have one.. cause I got my eye on the him. If he don't want me there.. I really don't want to be there. He will have to be a man and lay me off. I ain't giving up my unemployment claim against him. If he does it wrong.. then I won't hesitate to file a claim.. win or lose. I did what I could to shine some light on the roach.

Crime.. is on a individual basis. I feel as Black Americans we have some control over self. If you admire what I have.. what I am doing ask me.. I'll show you how and where to get your share. I worked for it.. why shouldn't you.

Genocide.. is a slimmy and sneaky thing. I go to get a flu shot, and you give me something else. So i don't get the flu shot.. I spend my winter by the fire place.. drinking hot tarte's. Genocide also ties into racism and unemployment.. killing by staving and depriving a living.

AID's and Genocide are holding hands. They did a test on a new drug in S.F. and found Blacks in the study made considerable improvements. They thru out the study and the drug.. they claim It wasn't right or they would continue because it shouldn't favor one group better than the other. Isn't that a trip.

=================
    FEB. 2003

http://host65.aegis.com/news/afp/2003/af030268.html

" WASHINGTON, Feb 24 (AFP) - The first mass trial on an AIDS vaccine failed to produce the hoped for shield against the global pandemic but did give some protection to blacks and Asians, the makers said Monday.

Tested over three years, AIDSVAX failed to protect most volunteers against HIV infection, according to VaxGen Inc.

"Overall, what we see is the trial failed," Vaxgen president Donald Francis told a Washington press conference.

He said the vaccine had appeared to work in only 3.8 percent of the volunteers who took it.

The vaccine or a dummy version was administered in three doses to 5,009 volunteers, primarily gay men in the United States, as well as Canada, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands.

Two-thirds were given the vaccine, and one-third the placebo.

The California biotech company said there was a "statistically significant" reduction of HIV infection amongst blacks and Asians.

"There were 67 percent fewer HIV infections among ethnic minorities, other than Hispanic individuals," the company said. "There were 78 percent fewer HIV infections among black volunteers who received vaccine compared to placebo recipients."

Phillip Berman, VaxGen's senior vice president of Research and Development and inventor of the vaccine, said those results were heartening but admitted that researchers did not know why this had happened.

They showed "certain groups have a better immune response" to HIV and this warranted further study, he argued. "

Vaxgen shares plunged 54.38 percent to 5.94 dollars after the announcement.

SEE HOW THEY TREAT US. HERE IS A CURE. AND THE FUNDS ARE PULLED BECAUSE IT BENEFITED US MORE. PROTEST.. SEND THEM A LETTER... I DID.

Headquarters
    VaxGen Inc.
    1000 Marina Boulevard
    Brisbane, CA 94005
    Phone: (650) 624-1000
    Fax: (650) 624-1001

==================
    BRISBANE, Calif., Sept. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- VaxGen, Inc. (Nasdaq: VXGN) announced today that it has been awarded an $80.3 million contract from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for the advanced development of its anthrax vaccine candidate, rPA102. The 3-year contract is intended to fund many of the steps required for commercial licensure of the vaccine candidate and could pave the way for a significantly larger contract for a national stockpile of anthrax vaccine.

=============

Teens and drug users and Prison inmates must curb their appetite for loose behavior. Blacks know and need to be reminded there are no free rides. So build our own train.. and we controlwho gets a ticket. Stop taking te easy road to wealth.. by killing and robbing your neighbor. You saw him leave for work.. so don't take his food.

I'm for telling about any crime.. regardless of your race. we have to adopt the old school way. You mess my hood.. be ready to stand up and be counted down. My tax dollars will pay for your transportation to the cell you need.

5. SOULDEEP3

Ratings:
    +2

6. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    I AM STILL PISSED. THIS COMPANY IS OUT OF BUSINESS BUT THE RESEARCH SHOULD BE REVIVED

I heard a program today that brought this post back into a new light. I had been looking also for this post for some time. Because it contained the company that made an AIDs medicine that improved the results for blacks and they dropped the research and study because investors pulled funds and dropped their stock over 50%. Their stock dropped from 12 dollars to just over $5.50. Well whoop te do.

The guest was outlining symptoms of stress. He names Diabetes, and heart failure among some of the diseases caused by stress. He said stress breaks down the nervous system, and eats away daily at vitamins the nervous system needs to keep the brain, and all other functions of the body regulated and healthy. He did mention a series of " B " vitamins being what is needed to shore up your nervous system. He is of course selling his product and I'm not one to rush and buy it because he has said he put it all in a pill.

But I do know B12 and other " B " vitamins are burned, up by smoking, and drinking. I do both.

Blacks, negroes from the first day they were placed on ships and brought here have been stressed. Burning up nutrients that no one cared or knew about. In my opinion this company owes not only the black community the benefit of this drug, but blacks are owed any and all medical coverage by the government of these United States that they need. We deserve the plan all Senators have. Unlimited medical benefits. Like the one Hillary had in mind, and Kerry is planning to revive.

Headquarters
    VaxGen Inc.
    1000 Marina Boulevard
    Brisbane, CA 94005
    Phone: (650) 624-1000
    Fax: (650) 624-1001
    ============

Headquarters
    VaxGen Inc.
    379 Oyster Point Boulevard
    Suite 10
    South San Francisco, CA 94080
    Phone: (650) 624-2439
    Fax: (650) 624-4785

http://www.b2i.us/profiles/investor/contactus.asp?f=1&BzID=923&to=cm&Nav=0&LangID=1&s=251

Company Profile
    VaxGen is a biopharmaceutical company based in South San Francisco, California. We own a state-of-the-art biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility with a 1,000-liter bioreactor that can be used to make cell culture or microbial biologic products. We have ended all product development activities and sold or otherwise terminated its drug development programs. We are seeking to maximize the value of its remaining tangible and intangible assets through a transaction or series of transactions, including the sale of the manufacturing facility.

GOOD..GREAT..WELL DESERVED!

============

Those with contacts with organizations that are trying hard to fight AIDs in the black community should be made aware of this company’s findings. I know a few that I'm going to inform. Africa should receive his vaccine if anyone should. It is no longer acceptable for Europeans to rob the riches and resources and give nothing, or benefit of life to the citizens who are the rightful owners and benefactors of those resources.

AIDSVAX results disappointing: Critics accuse VaxGen of 'premature' reporting

Washington Blade - February 28, 2003
    Rhonda Smith

=========================
    THIS COMPANY MOVED TO

Headquarters
    VaxGen Inc.
    379 Oyster Point Boulevard
    Suite 10
    South San Francisco, CA 94080
    Phone: (650) 624-2439
    Fax: (650) 624-4785

BRISBANE, Calif. -- VaxGen Inc. announced Sunday that the first AIDS vaccine ever tested among a large number of people failed to protect against HIV infection, and claims by company officials that the vaccine was more effective among blacks and other minority groups were quickly attacked by critics.

"This is at best premature and irresponsible data reporting. It is highly misleading and disingenuous to communities who have a stake in these findings," said Martin Delaney, founding director of the San Francisco-based Project Inform, an HIV/AIDS treatment and advocacy organization created in 1985. "It would do a great deal of harm to stir up hopes for selected groups over a vaccine that has been proven ineffective overall."

Among the 111 black participants in the study who received at least three injections of the placebo, or substance that did not contain the AIDS vaccine, only nine of them (9.9 percent) contracted HIV, VaxGen officials reported.

Of the 203 black participants in the study who received at least three injections of the AIDSVAX vaccine, only four (2 percent), contracted the AIDS virus.

VaxGen officials said it was "statistically significant" that the results show there were 78.3 percent fewer HIV infections among black volunteers who received the vaccine compared to placebo recipients.

Among the 20 Asian participants in the study who received three injections of the placebo, two participants (10 percent), contracted HIV. Among the 53 Asian participants in the study who received the AIDSVAX vaccine, only two (3.8 percent), contracted HIV.

There were 68 percent fewer HIV infections among Asian volunteers in the study who received the vaccine, compared to their counterparts who received the placebo.

Phillip Berman, who invented AIDSVAX and is VaxGen's senior vice president of research and development, said the company, based in Brisbane, Calif., is only now beginning to analyze the data collected in the trial.

"It's a long path that will be subject to peer review by the scientific community," he said. "It looks like higher levels of antibodies [appear] in black and other minority populations, and those appear to correlate with protection. But it's too early."

Failure to protect white participants

The AIDSVAX vaccine failed to work for white and Hispanic participants in the study, VaxGen officials said. In addition to black and Asian volunteers in the study, they said the vaccine appeared to be more effective for participants with mixed racial and ethnic heritages.

Other groups that criticized VaxGen officials about the results pertaining to racial and ethnic groups included the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition, a community-based organization in New York City that supports global delivery of AIDS vaccines, and the Gay Men's Health Crisis in New York, one of the oldest AIDS organizations in the nation.

"The African-American community has been devastated by AIDS, and finding a vaccine that could protect African Americans would be truly outstanding," said Chris Collins, executive director of the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition. "But given the overall finding, at this stage in the data analysis, it would be hazardous to jump to conclusions about what the AIDSVAX data mean for this subgroup."

Project Inform, the Treatment Action Group in New York City, AIDS Action Baltimore, the Gay Men's Health Crisis, and the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition this week called for AIDS service organizations to sign a statement urging VaxGen officials to submit findings from the study to a panel of independent experts assembled by the National Institutes of Health "for a full examination of the data."

"While the overall result demonstrates a clear and disappointing lack of efficacy," the letter states, "VaxGen has chosen to spotlight several subgroup analyses that were not part of the statistical evaluation described in the original trial protocol."

VaxGen officials said Monday that their separate analysis of how effective the AIDS vaccine was in subgroups was pre-specified in a "statistical analysis plan." The U.S. Food & Drug Administration reviewed the statistical analysis plan, they said, and the agency's suggestions were incorporated in the plan.

Delaney at Project Inform said that while VaxGen stated that the subgroup analysis was part of a statistical plan, the company "fails to point out that the study was neither designed nor powered to detect differences in the effectiveness of the vaccine between the subgroups."

VaxGen officials reported that initial results from the three-year study of AIDSVAX did not show a statistically significant reduction of HIV among the 5,009 men and women who received at least three injections of the vaccine or a placebo.

The participants initially included 5,108 men who have sex with men and 309 women considered at risk for HIV infection because they had an HIV-positive partner, multiple sexual partners or exchanged sex for drugs or money during a 12-month period before enrolling in the study. All were meant to be HIV-negative when they joined the study, which involved participants from the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Netherlands.

'Challenging little bug'

Among the 1,679 study participants who received the placebo at least three times, 98 participants (5.8 percent) became infected with HIV during the study. Of the 3,330 participants who received at least three AIDSVAX injections, 191 (5.7 percent) became infected with HIV.

"This is no doubt a challenging little bug," Dr. Donald Francis, who co-founded VaxGen in 1995, told the Associated Press. "It's not surprising that we would have another challenge here. But the door is open, and we can see some light streaming in."

VaxGen has spent $200 million developing its AIDSVAX vaccine and officials there said they remain hopeful that it will someday help slow the spread of AIDS.

The company's investors weren't as hopeful. The company's stock fell $6.16 a share, or 47 percent, to close at $6.86 Monday in trading on the NASDAQ Stock Market.

VaxGen officials said a more detailed analysis of the study is scheduled to be presented March 29 to April 4 at a conference on HIV. The FDA will review the full results of the study in the coming months.

VaxGen officials suggested Monday that genetic factors might be responsible for how black participants responded to the AIDSVAX vaccine.

But many leaders at AIDS service organizations nationwide said that because the number of black participants in the study was so small (314 out of the 5,009 volunteers who completed three immunizations were black) no conclusions could be reached at this point.

"The results appear to be statistically significant in the African-American subpopulation, but much more research is necessary before we draw definitive conclusions," said Philippe Chiliade, medical director at Whitman-Walker Clinic, the largest AIDS service organization in Washington, D.C.

Cornelius Baker, executive director of Whitman-Walker Clinic, described the data reported about black and Asian study participants as "very interesting and provocative" but said it needs to be explored more.

Results 'statistically significant'?

Seth Berkley, president and chief executive officer of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, a global nonprofit organization that supports the search for a vaccine to prevent HIV/AIDS, said the VaxGen results must be analyzed more and independently reviewed. Leaders in Washington, D.C., at the National Association of People With AIDS and at the National Minority AIDS Council said the amount of black and Asian study participants was not large enough to meaningfully measure the differences among racial and ethnic groups.

VaxGen officials said that although the subgroup sample sizes were relatively small compared to the entire study sample, the results are "statistically significant."

"With regard to ethnic minorities in the trial, there is less than a 1 percent possibility that the observed difference in infection rates could have occurred by chance," they said in a written statement. "There is less than a 2 percent possibility that the observed difference in infection rates among black volunteers could have occurred by chance."

Baker at Whitman-Walker said that while black study participants comprised a very small subset in the study, the results could offer more clues about how to develop an effective vaccine.

"I will caution us, however, that while that information seems very promising and interesting, there have been a number of occasions where we had scientific studies that suggested variances based on race and HIV," he said, "whether it was about whether AZT worked for African Americans or that people had different outcomes related to combination therapy based on race.

"What we've learned in the long term is that that's not the case," Baker said. "There have not been proven differences based on race."

Baker said genetic differences could be a factor, however, and that many vaccines have proved to be more effective with one population than another.

Mark Feinberg, medical director at Emory University's Hope Clinic in Decatur, Ga., said a challenge with the VaxGen study is that the majority of its participants were white gay men.

The vast majority of black volunteers in the study came from the U.S. and many were women who live in the Chicago area, VaxGen officials said.

"There are lots of different kinds of people from lots of different backgrounds and risk groups around the world who need an AIDS vaccine," Feinberg said. "Ideally, studies in the future should include an appropriate representation of people from all backgrounds and risk groups."

Emory University has long contracted with pharmaceutical companies to test AIDS vaccines and recently began the first phase of human trials on its own multi-protein AIDS vaccine. Other approaches are being used to try to create AIDS vaccines today, Feinberg said, so the results of the VaxGen study would not hinder research efforts at the Hope Clinic.

"We don't know how hard it will be to make a vaccine," he said, "but it's fair to say it's still going to be a process that's going to take a number of years."

FOR MORE INFO

VaxGen Inc.

1000 Marina Blvd. - Brisbane, CA 94005

650-624-1000 - www.vaxgen.com

Rhonda Smith can be reached at [email protected].

WB030213

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    and the number one killer of black women is........................?

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    This is an excellent thread topic. Thank you Brother Souldeep. I agree with Sister Destee, that we need to be very careful not to engage in the "who has it worse" game because all that does is serve to further divide us and cause us to feel as though we're in competition with each other and we shouldn't be.

Brother HODEE, as usual my brother you keep it real by going deep underneath the surface and letting us know what's REALLY going on. Thank you brother!

Stress is manifesting itself in harmful ways among Black people and we need immediate relief. A few months ago sisters engaged in a thorough discussion of this in Sister Chat and we learned a lot about why depression is on the rise among Black women--RACISM.

Literally, you can take ALL the diseases reported that claim the lives of Black people and I would venture to say that MOST if not all are caused to a large degree by people's exposure to racism. It's the #1 killer of Black folk.

MHO...Queenie

9. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    203 BLACKS GIVEN AIDS DRUG 207 CURED! THE VACCINE WORKED ON BLACKS / ASIANS SCRAPPED

huh...