Black People : Street Nation Earth: 2309 MASH, 3rd

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by anAfrican, Aug 24, 2008.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    "The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth"
    (this thread was prompted by Brother dustyelbow's thread entitled "Homeless BROTHERS in the NATION keeps GROWING" great job on dustyelbow's part bringing the clarity of vision of the system's intent to create, sustain and expand this mess!)

i've been out here in this particular struggle since may of 07. i'm now somewhat sort of stable living/working in a program that manages 15 indoor shelters, two tent-cities, a storage locker complex, a number of women's programs and is supporting the efforts to build a "hooverville"-esque "shanty town" called Nickelsville, named "in honor" of our dearly beloved mayor.

personally, i'm doing this because i see it as the best way that i can "fight" this supremelunacy y'all go on about and as a way to support the ever increasing "working poor" that continue to see/feel their "economic power" shrinking their homes right out from under them. every year, the homeless numbers increase, in spite of whatever "safety nets" this wonderful society has in place. it seems to me more as if "society" is grinding people through the cracks (with all too many people getting stuck in the crack) intentionally. i could be even more bitter than i am and suggest that this is intentional in the sense that it serves to keep the sheople in line by showing them what is in store if they don't toe the party line. as well, what with the increasing numbers, with decreasing services, (which are staffed by folks that are struggling with the denigrating policies that they are forced to toil under), there can be shown to be a need for ever increasing police forces with mandates of keeping these folks off the streets so as to show how progressive, clean and inticing for business these cities can be.

anyway.

one of the ideas brought out in that thread ties in with a thought that i keep having:

there is a lot of intelligence in this population. due to the in your face, better watch your step/back nature of being out here, folks learn real quick that they better be straight in whatever dealings (legal or otherwise - it's sad, but folks will do what they must to survive) they are forced into to feed themselves, their families and their children (YUP!!), so there is a whole lot of very real, very wonderful HONESTY, INTEGRITY and mutual support out here. (aw come on, people; you KNOW the media twists things!! right? and only show the pictures to encourgae the thinking they want you to come away with!) there are also a lot of valuable skills out here.

so, i've been thinking that since this homelessness thing ain't gonna go away, and governmental social services keep being amongst the first casualties of budget concerns, that just maybe it would work better if the planet's "have nots" worked toward providing their own services ... (which thought could have implications in other arenas as well, no?)

"Street Nation Earth"
    instead of these "over-night holding shelters", i think it might not hurt to have 24/7/365 working shelters where the folks that make use of the shelters are committed to no longer chasing through them revolving doors trying to get a job, get a place, maintain that job and that place and then falling victim, again, to whatever ground them through the cracks in the first place and winding up right back out here again.

instead, these folks are maintaining spaces that provide the services that street people, and the working poor who can't really afford the runaway prices of services today, need to keep ends in a working relationship, if not actually getting those ends to meet.

we got mechanics out here. we got transportation needs out here. the working poor occasionally have need for mechanical work that is getting awfully expensive. not to mention folks still trying to hold them old vehicles together `cause they really can't afford new ones. we could have auto shops that scour the area dragging in abandoned or otherwise cast off vehicles and put them back together for use as either community transportation, or for sale. these spaces could act as unofficial/gypsy taxi services, particularly for those young families that need to make it to doctor's appointments and such. the auto shops could sell services to the working poor for 45 to 60 percent of what shops are charging today. (and up to 250 percent for the more "affluent" members of this decaying society.)

in the same vein, since folks need laundry, hygiene, healthcare, feeding, entertainment services, we could open up other shelters housing folks with those skills. again, providing these services for us/homeless/street people, 40 to 60 percent of local shops for the working poor and gouging the upper class.

pooling these funds and distributing them to the shelters in the form of supplies, rent/utility/facility maintenance costs, and stipends/wages could allow us to define our own Dignity of Life and keep us self sufficient. we could also "swarm" neighborhoods doing chores, remodels, construction, general labor, etc.

in other words, there is the potential to build a new civilizaton/society out of the ashes of the old before this all collapses as it is bound to do as the rich keep squeezing, exploiting, poisoning and polluting what we got now.

perhaps it is time that the "Meek" got to Bouncing Our "Inheritance"!

"The African race is like a rubber ball;
    the harder you dash it to the ground,
    the higher it rises up!"
    -African Proverb​

now, this all could be just another rant on my part.

it could be a way to support some of our Brothers, Sisters, Mothers, Fathers and Children that are stuck out here.

or it could be an Invitation for Us to Unify to do something proactive about one of the messes that face this Planet.

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    [bump]
    oh good; i did put this out someplace! still kinda stuck on how to get it rolling .. and now i find myself out of breath walking across a room what with this increasing copd and decreasing lung capacity ... and it looks like that cancer may be working it's way back again ...

with the gap between rich and poor getting wider and the bottom part getting larger, something is gonna be needed.

how to make this work?