Black People : Strawman Argument - What is it? - Please Provide Examples

Explain to me what a strawman tactic really is, pls...or arguments as you say. I wasn't arguing with you. I was stating the case as I see it. What's strawnan about that?

Sometime I feel that when a simple answer is given, the strawman comes in. I've noticed this in other threads.

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation
of an opponent's position.

To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw man argument" is to describe
a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view but is
easier to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent (for
example, deliberately overstating the opponent's position).

A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is,
it may succeed in persuading people) but it carries little or no real
evidential weight, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.

I notice that it happens a lot when in religious or political debates or conversations. I've been debating for years online and offline and this is a very common tactic that is used.

Lol, well hasn't it always been said, never discuss religion or politics with people? :p

Lol, well hasn't it always been said, never discuss religion or politics with people? :p

Well, that is what they say...lol! :D

But with my nature, that is soo hard not to do at times. I've gotten better though, I debate much less these days. :cool:

Well, that is what they say...lol! :D

But with my nature, that is soo hard not to do at times. I've gotten better though, I debate much less these days. :cool:

It's been that way with me, also. Hopefully, I can reach where you are in non-debating, because I get the feeling I do so way more than you. lol

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back