Omowale Jabali : Strange Fruit From The Family Tree

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Slaves on Mauritius, who came from India and Africa, were all defined as black under the French and later the English. But whether slave or free, they created "distinct identities for themselves" (266). These differences consisted of dress, hair styles, and the retention/creation of some linguistic forms, which suggest, as other studies of creolite have, that the slaves were never completely socialized by their masters. Vaughan does not suggest that slavery was a benign institution on Mauritius. But she does indicate that there were places based on religious and ethnic distinctions that the slaves and free people created for themselves. This process was facilitated in part by the colonial administrators of the island. Students of American Negro slavery, like me, will be surprised to learn that on Mauritius free people of color lived in ethnic enclaves. For example, a map of Port Louis in 1791 indicated that there were five free black residential areas in the town. These residential areas may not have been as distinct as they appear on the map, but they do point to...

Source:

Creating the Creole Island: Slavery in Eighteenth-Century Mauritius (1735-67) (review)
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=summary&url=/journals/eighteenth-century_studies/v041/41.3walker.html

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
Concerning the "Creek Freedmen"

When Principal Chief Pleasant Porter was asked before the US Senate what is your nationality? He responded, I am a Muscogee (Creek).
Basically, if your grandmother told you she was Creek, please don't assume she meant Indian as race, she could have been referring to her Creek nationality.

http://www.thecreekfreedmen.com/id6.html

(My cousin Toni Scott did the artwork for the site)

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.