Black Entertainment : "Straight outta of Compton" offensive casting call

i'm not one way or the other about the "Straight outta Compton" casting call, maybe because i'm not sure how things are supposed to go. so, help me out; in casting for a part, aren't they supposed to be as specific as possible about the type of person they're looking to cast...so they don't end up with five thousand people who doesn't meet the criteria for the part. and, if that's the case, why the uproar? I mean, as someone ignorant of how casting calls work, in order to specify who you're looking for, don't you have to narrow it down to specifics? if you're looking for someone of a certain type, character, and background, wouldn't you have to mention someone/some group who exhibit those traits/characteristics? Obviously, someone gave her specifics about what they were looking for...in the characters that would be cast for the various parts.

I'm not saying that you were offended, but since you started the thread, give me an example of how you would have done it in a non-offensive way...to get the desired results.

here's your opportunity to teach someone who doesn't know; don't leave me out on that limb looking stupid.

The reason many people including myself may find this casting call to be offensive is because for a long time there has been deep and complicated issues with colorism within the African American community. Lighter complexioned African Americans females, especially those who are mixed race, have been generally considered to be "more attractive". Darker skinned African American females are considered to be "less attractive". There have been numerous studies done to show the issues of colorism with the black community and the physical and psychological effects it has on young girls and women. For example, there was a study done to show how darker skin is considered "ugly", where young black girls were given a white doll and a black doll. The girl wanted to play with the black doll and when she was asked why she chose the white doll, she said that the black doll was "black and ugly".
Millions of dollars are spent in the African American community every year on hair weaves and skin bleaching creams so that black women can fit the ideal standard of beauty that America has deemed as acceptable. Yes, they do have specific things they're looking for with their casting, but when many people read the description (and the apparent grading system that they have in place) it just reminds them that "perfect" women are those who look like models and their skin is light, and the ones who are less attractive are darker skinned.

okay...being from the deep south--Mississippi--i'm intimately familiar with the colorism issues, and if that's what you're tying to this...then, I understand your complaint. however, if you're casting a movie, and you need/want a light skinned African, a dark skinned African, and someone in the middle, how do you make that call without offending someone?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back