Black People : "Stop & Frisk" getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by AACOOLDRE, Sep 5, 2012.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    POLICE DEPARTMENTS ABUSING “STOP & FRISK”

By Andre Austin

The foundation of “Stop & Frisk” is codified in Terry v. Ohio (1968).

Plainclothes Officer became suspicious of two men standing on a street corner in cleveland’s downtown shopping district. The two suspects paused to stare in the same window 24 times. The two men then met up with a third man. The police Officer suspected the 3 were casing out the store for a stick up. The policeman confronted the three and patted them down (frisked) and felt a gun which he seized two pistols.

The Supreme Court rightly up held the policeman’s arrest and seizure of the guns. His prior experiences as a cop helped him save the community from a robbery that could have went bad and ended in innocent lost of life.

From this Ohio incident the Supreme Court Centralized the “Stop & Frisk” and allowed it to spread to all 50 states in allowing the fuzz to use rational inferences from facts to stop and frisk individuals.

In 2012 the police departments are not within the spirit of the law. They are running amuck in just rushing people on the street with pat down searches. The ulterior motive is now the collection of data on black youth; with whom they want to warehouse in prison instead of an Educational facility. There’s no process of observing behavior and then pat down its just a bum rush casting a fish net out there where everything and everybody is caught up in the Criminal Justice system’s game.

Activist and Civil Rights advocates should agitate the government to get the police to get back to the true foundations of the “Stop & Frisk” laws. And if we can’t succeed at eliminating it its just another notch in the Octopuses’ tentacles of THE NEW JIM CROW procurements of the suppression of the Black community.

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Probable cause was/is the main component of this ruling. If you dont have probable cause, they get sued. That is not easy fot the cops to establish

3. AACOOLDRE

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    "The court concluded that even when probable cause does not exist to make a full cusody arrest, there are circumstances that may justify temporarily restraining a suspect and conducting a limited search (frisk)" I'm quoting my old Introduction to Criminal Justice system book from college By Gerald Robin P.167 (1987)

4. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

We had stop and frisk in Detroit. As in NY it only happened against people of color. We filed law suits, marched, fought and changed the courts and legislators thru elections. We dont have it anymore. If the police dont have probable cause they get cited

5. AACOOLDRE

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    Was that the infamous stress units that Mayor Young of detriot stopped in the 1970"s
    Individual states and cities can implement "stop & Frisk" in a manner that suits them.
    I was talking about it in general terms as it was centralized in the Supreme Court from which states and
    cities can use as a guidance.

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Stress was worse. They were legalized thugs and murderers. "The Big Four" was a unit that cruised neighborhoods and stopped people at random. I understand they started in the 40s. They would roll up on you and stop and frisk you for no reason. It got so good to them, they were doing it to kids and big time black ministers. I and a group of friends were coming from the playground after playing baseball. They claimed our bats were weapons. Fortunately, the community came out en masse and ran them off. This was at the height of the Civil Rights movement. I can only wonder what would have happened prior to that

7. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    This is not "stop & frisk anymore. This is now "legalizing/justifying harrassment of blacks" law. In essence, what the supreme court said is "go get 'em. We got your back".
    This is also why I'm reading more about cops being shot. People are getting tired of being the target.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i just got patted down last weekend....
    was driving on the illinois tollway and got stopped for not having my seatbelt on....
    ok...that was my fault...give me a ticket
    showed my license and insurance and still had to get out the car and get patted down
    car searched...
    on top of that he let me off with a warning....lol
    wtf?

one love
    khasm

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

In short, it's the new term for the black slave codes.

"stop & frisk" has always existed in NY since before i was born. It was called OWBL (outside while black & Latino). THese days, there are so many latinos on the force that it's now been changed to (OWB) because Latino cops do much of the harrassing of blacks as well.

THis so called 'law' was purposely elevated and brought to the light after 9/11, or should i say under the guise of 9/11. THey knew they had the city in fear of some arab terrorist's and that the people wouldn't put up much of a fight, if it meant more protection. But, one of their own once said:

"Those who would give up their freedom for protection, you will end up with neither" - Ben Franklin

And this is exactly what you have. This is why trying to sue, or take these cops to court for 'stop & frisk' will basically be a waste of time and your money because you sure don't want to use a court appointed lawyer. There are signs in the subways and on the trains, grand central station and all over the place telling you that if you are carrying a bag that it can LEGALLY be searched. Therefore, if one resist's and tries to recite their right's it will be considered a crime, or resisting a request by an officer because you really haven't had any right's in NYC since 9/11. The people forfeited their right's for 'protection' from the very one's who are now harrassing and locking people up for having the nerve to go shopping, or school and carrying some type of bag with them.

The sad part is that the young people are getting it the worst. These cops will try anything on them so that they have a reason to lock them up and give the a record. Now that school is back in and these kids are carrying bags back and forth it's going to get even uglier.