Black People : Stop BET's College Hill

um, i don't know about yall, but a group of black college students doesn't represent the us. Why do we get so uptight when we see black people acting a certain way? This is a question, i am not being rhetorical, so feel free to answer.
In my opinion, they can be as stupid as they like, because they're being individuals. They don't represent the race. And they certainly dont' represent how i would act in college, or how other blacks act in college And they shouldn't have to. So where should the line we drawn. How really do we wanna view ourselves on television? Are we uptight, because we ourselves aren't being portrayed?

Which is why i am wondering why there is such a petition...:cool:

Prizefighter16 said:
um, i don't know about yall, but a group of black college students doesn't represent the us. Why do we get so uptight when we see black people acting a certain way?

With so little black folks on television to respresent us, every image hurts us. It would be different if we had as many black faces on television as white folks do, but we don't. The ones that are on television (BET, UPN, movies, rap videos etc.) are negative, ignorant portrayals of us. If we just had a few negative images here and there, I'd have no problem with it, but that's not the case. Even our magazines show us in an ignorant light, so we need all the positive blacks we can get, there is a surplus of ignorance.

The fact is, it gets old the way it's so profitable to show ignorant black folks. We need a balance. Not to impress the white folks, but to let younger black folks realize that's not the reality of life as a black man/ woman.

kente417mojo said:
With so little black folks on television to respresent us, every image hurts us. It would be different if we had as many black faces on television as white folks do, but we don't. The ones that are on television (BET, UPN, movies, rap videos etc.) are negative, ignorant portrayals of us. If we just had a few negative images here and there, I'd have no problem with it, but that's not the case. Even our magazines show us in an ignorant light, so we need all the positive blacks we can get, there is a surplus of ignorance.

The fact is, it gets old the way it's so profitable to show ignorant black folks. We need a balance. Not to impress the white folks, but to let younger black folks realize that's not the reality of life as a black man/ woman.

I haven't seen the show so I can't comment on it. I have seen the Twix commercial that people were complaining about on another thread. Here is a humerous commercial and people were still bitching about it.

Most shows on TV show men as being complete idiots, now I don't believe kids out there are looking at these shows and believing that all men are like this. Give kids some credit.

I don't know the signing a petition is going to work, the best thing to do is turn off the channel.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back